Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Question About Car Insurance....

Fargo

What with me moving in with the bird very soon, it makes sense to get her insured on my car as here big lump of a vovlo is starting to cost more than its worth, plus id rather she took it to work whilst im at work than have it sit around begging to be messed with by the unemployed scrotes of this world.

anyway i digress... so when she borrowed the car to go to devon the other week, her insurance told her that she could not have fully comp on a car that she was not the registered keeper of..

now i know i can put her on mine as a named driver but id like us to have our own as if a crash should happen i dotn want it to affect the other persons NCB...

So can anyone shed any light..

What with me moving in with the bird very soon, it makes sense to get her insured on my car as here big lump of a vovlo is starting to cost more than its worth, plus id rather she took it to work whilst im at work than have it sit around begging to be messed with by the unemployed scrotes of this world.

anyway i digress...  so when she borrowed the car to go to devon the other week, her insurance told her that she could not have fully comp on a car that she was not the registered keeper of..

now i know i can put her on mine as a named driver but id like us to have our own as if a crash should happen i dotn want it to affect the other persons NCB...

So can anyone shed any light..

think you can only fully insure a car once

hence why they wont insure her on it

a lot of policies let you drive other cars....on third party but only if its insured elsewhere

try and get protected no claims, need full ncb though, no worries about losing ncb then

Thought if you have a policy of your own you are entitled to drive someone elses car on your policy. If this is right then as long as she has insured the Volvo it should be OK. Have a look at the certificate / policy and see. Also read the small print to confirm it's still fully comp.

if your fully comp on your own car then yes you can drive other cars on THIRD party cover only....

however id like my car to be FULLY covered whatever happens...

she has 5 years NCB, although someone did crash did rear end her (dirty minds you lot) so that claim went in her favour,, would here insurance still give here full NCB... some are funny about this even though a claim was not you fault..

as for me,, well i got a claim on the go,, other person is trying to dispute and go for the old 50/50 blaim..

Paul, for example.

YOU own the car, and YOU are the policy holder.

You are insured (if you have full comprehensive) then you your self, are insured to drive that vehicle, at that level of cover.

Somtimes, though not all the time .... insurance policies will allow you to drive any other vehicle (pending it also has an insurance policy). This will only cover you third party.

I'd say all, if not .... a very large amount of insurance companies, will not sell you a policy unless you actually own the car.

To work around what you are trying to do, then .... what you need to do.

Is get your girlfriend a SEPARATE policy, so you have two policy's on the car ...... with an insurance company that will allow you to insure the car so long as it is owned either your self or by your PARTNER.

Then you don't risk losing the NCB if she has an accident ............ yes this way is more costly, but would save any NCB ...........

Paul, you need to ask yourself is paying 1000 again per year (or whatever the premium comes out at) better than paying the surcharge for the protected ncb ???

I have a feeling it would be better to pay the surcharge and add her as a named driver then pay twice for the insurance.

:)

I thought that the main policy holder takes the wrap for any acidents (in terms of losing NCB if not protected?).

Assuming you dont have protected NCB, then if you have a crash, you lose your NCB. If your other half has a crash in your car as a named driver, you still lose your NCB. She only (in theory) has to declare that she has had an accident should she apply for car insurance in future.

My parents both drive the same car, with my Mum the main policy holder, and my Dad as a named driver, and he definately is covered fully comp to drive my mums car (owned in her name).

I guess you know all this anyway, so bottom line, just get protected NCB - normally about 30-40 quid more.

D.

• 4 weeks later...

I am the registered keeper of both my Lexus and my wifes Clio (she was not there when I bought it for her....)

I've got insurance for mine - with her as a named driver.

She has her own insurance for the Clio, with me as a named driver.

Never had any problems... getting insurance for her, just answer the 'Are you the registered keeper' = No and explain the situation.

be aware that...

A Neighbour has been without a car/insurance (wife with a company car), he's just been to get insurance on a Fiesta 3rd party only and got quoted over £300 as he has no 'no claims' as they don't recognise previous no-claims.

Hope this helps

• 10 months later...

Looks like you might have to marry her, we tried to insure daughters new celica as she is 21 and been driving previous car registered to wife but as named/main driver, (wants to get her own ncb started, 190bhp 140mph Celica is not the best way to start but hey, we all know kids) Insurance company says cannot insure car which is not owned by you except where it is spouse which we currently do with wifes Copen.

phone another company or a broker. the legal owner of the car can be different from the registered keeper. I think I managed to insure a car once, despite not being the registered keeper. The insurance company are usually happy if the registered keeper is someone quite close to you, like spouse or parent.

As I understand it, you can insure a car you dont own, providing its insured by the owner to. Also, you can only get third party insurance to. I maybe wrong mind......

Not sure if I've misunderstood you, but you can't have two insurance policies on one car. But it is possible to insure a car you don't own - I've recently insured the Lex in my name for the first time, despite the car still being in my mum's name. Although when I was shopping around, the only company that would allow this was Admiral (and the rest of their group), it was just lucky they were also the cheapest :D

As I understand it, you can insure a car you dont own, providing its insured by the owner to. Also, you can only get third party insurance to. I maybe wrong mind......

Not sure if I've misunderstood you, but you can't have two insurance policies on one car. But it is possible to insure a car you don't own - I've recently insured the Lex in my name for the first time, despite the car still being in my mum's name. Although when I was shopping around, the only company that would allow this was Admiral (and the rest of their group), it was just lucky they were also the cheapest :D

I did the same as Parthiban. I was the legal owner of my LS400, but my dad was registered keeper. Admiral were happy to do me a fully comp policy.