Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sorry Loc I Need Your Help...

Tony-Bones

To help those pulled into this thread by the title the topic is geometry :crybaby:

One of the things that makes me what i am is if i dont understand why 'dont' let it go!... So when i was setting the geometry on the IS 200/ 300 in volume every now and then i had a complaint....one in ten'ish had steering wheel offline to the right.

The final setting position of the steering wheel is only cosmetic but important for the overall result, at first i thought it was my eye, so i then asked the customer to set the position, still every now and then wheel off to the right.

Although my system Auto calibrates i then had Supertracker out to test the program and it passed no problem.

I pulled the reports to see if there was a common adjustment area 'angle' recovery that could explain why..... no luck, albeit one adjustment or fithteen there is no match to explain why.

Of all the fine tunes done so far the tyre wear issue that smothers the IS has gone so it would seem the then new WIM set-up is not to blame, i have been told that 'body noise' on some cars also has gone so it would seem the parallelograms also are at rest.

What has evolved is that geometrically there is three settings for the 200/300

GB

Europe

Asia

excluding index mark 99 and sport models

Of all the cars set few seemed to come back for the fine tune, this initaly worrid me so i made contact to find out why, seemingly the reason is distance, travel 400 miles have the geo done if now all is well then people are reluctent to travel back for the fine tune, this i can understand.....

So to my point if you have had a geometry done with me and the steering wheel ended up off line can you please pm me your index so that i can research the problem further.

What reads weird is that appart from the odd Micra the IS is the only car i have this issue with...... and one SC430!!! but i think that was my fault ( human )

As you can read this is not a good advert for me but i need to know why this cosmetic steering wheel position happens, and stop it!!!!!!

Tony,

I have no idea if this is related or not. If not then I appologise.

When I first got my geometry done at Drury Lane, on their new fancy geometry machine my steering was also off-centre to the right. I brought it back it a few days later and they sorted it out for me immediately. :D

Tony, wouldn't it be easier for everyone to just do this on the meet ?

Nothing gets at me more than a need to know why! There is no one to ask so all the research has to be done through people i have serverd here in LOC. it's bothering me and since i at the moment cannot predict who will be a winner then i feel i need to act, if that makes me look bad.. so beit.

Im 99.9% sure the UK/EU/AS conflict is to blame, if it is then i want to own the explination and display it here at LOC.

Tony,

I have no idea if this is related or not. If not then I appologise.

When I first got my geometry done at Drury Lane, on their new fancy geometry machine my steering was also off-centre to the right. I brought it back it a few days later and they sorted it out for me immediately. :D

'Yes Anees' :D That helps me alot....... 'BIG TIME'. this proves its the car not the opperator. We know Drury are 100% customer aware, like me, so no way would they ever knowingly release the car with the SW RHD, by chance do you still have any reports i can see, email, pm, post, i just want to compaire.

Hi Tony

I'm fractionally to the right, and I mean fractionally.

I'm certainly not complaining though and the whole driving experience is a lot more positive. I reckon I used to have a slight drift to the left before which has now been corrected.

Had a bit of a scare a week ago after the torrential rain when I hit a large puddle whilst doing about 50. Fortunately I had a good grip of the wheel otherwise I reckon I would have been slung left. Hopefully it hasn't affected any geometry setting - feels OK still :)

Hi Tony,

I've had mine tracked a couple of times (at the dealer), and the steering wheel has always been very fractionally right afterwards, I should have the report sheets if you want copies

My steering wheel is off to the left :duh:

It was like it when I picked the car up from the dealers a month or so ago ??

I never mentioned it as I was too excited at the time and it would have meant I didn't have the car for the weekend (I picked it up 5.00pm on a Friday !)

Your meet was mentioned to me the other night so I may venture down if only to say hi :D

If you could let me know if my geo is fooked though i would appreciate it.

does it move right...after the car is driven, or after someone has sat in the car, could the weight difference move the alignment off.

i know with race cars, when we corner weight the car, and do the alignment adjustments, its with a weight, similer to the driver on the drivers seat, also the corner weighting, is done with full oils and fuel

Weight would certainly be possible in my case :whistling:

As a side issue, when Tony did my full monty the other week he took tyre depth measurments.

Based on those measurements and based on the fact that I have been running around at 34psi (reducing to 33psi on some tyres at times because I don't check them that often) he suggested that from now on I run at 35psi because the wear pattern was indicating slight under-inflation.

Tony, I know my car hasn't been done by yourselves, but on the occasions I have had tracking done etc the steering wheel sits usually slightly to the right...

Don't know the process but when it's done they have a metal hanger thing which clamps onto the wheel and then sits on the seat - they tighten it up with the wheel straight and then do their mechanical stuff...

It's marginally out now as well I believe, was in Gord's car yesterday and that was out but he needs to have that seen to....

Tony,

My car was absolutely perfectly straight when I got it but I had the dreaded inside front tyre wear problem so I got the goem done and now it is slightly to the right aswell and it REALLY annoys me :angry:

I havent had the time or inclination to back with it and keep putting it off but it niggles at me...........

Keith

Tony, when I had the geom done here (castor problems aside) I also had the steering wheel slightly off to the right, this was on 4 brand new tyres. I *thought* it might be something to do with the dodgy castor in my case, but it seems maybe not after all.

Si

does it move right...after the car is driven, or after someone has sat in the car, could the weight difference move the alignment off.

i know with race cars, when we corner weight the car, and do the alignment adjustments, its with a weight, similer to the driver on the drivers seat, also the corner weighting, is done with full oils and fuel

Good point i thought that lateral shear might be the cause so i did the maths:

The IS 200/ 300 needs no loading before measuring, and the fual load can be 0 to 100% ( so we are told? )

Taking my maths into account i feel the lateral shear would vertically compress the drivers suspension, lift the NSF upper parallelogram and lower the OSR, if true then the disparity would be the 'new, driver on board' NSF camber position bias toward the negative but this would conclude with a steering wheel left hand down since the angles force is conical > to the OSF ( compensate NSF )

To date no IS in this condition ( RH Down ) has a pull generated by any angle, i/ we know the rear has a 0 thrust angle so its not straight line ( crabbing ) correction to blame.

One of the first geos i did for LOC was a 'modist' size man who had tyre wear probs time after time, so i corrected the geo for his weight, the fine tune 2000 miles later showed no wear, then again another 2000 miles no wear. But never before or after any adjustments was the steering offline, i have to conclude body weight ( human ) cannot be the reason.

Some months ago i did ask Drury lane service station if they could do some tests for me on weigh plates so i could form a mapping process on the IS but due to the new equipment this has been delayed 'ANEES LITTLE HELP'

Today i fine tuned a 52 IS that had diagonal ( NSR/ OSF ) camber adjustments also involving the 'indirect' castor adjustment then front toe ( quite a major move geometrically ) after the initial adjustment the SW was straight, todays 'tune' only involved slight toe correction, still the SW is straight.

In addition because of this post i have had ( out of sight pm's ) from other companys also saying they have this problem with the IS and the steering wheel position.

Those that have used WIM know the fine-tune is free so any corretion costs you nothing more than your time, i just dont want to waste it!!!

My SW sits slightly to the right and has done since I got the car!

Before I bought the car from Steveaudiox he told me that the goemetry was spot on as he regularly had it checked because he knew the guy who did it!

I have no reason not to believe him and this now just backs him up!

The first place the car was going when I get it back was to get the geo set up properly but I think I will hold off until I get new rear tyres very soon!!..........and hear some more on this topic!!

My SW sits slightly to the right and has done since I got the car!

Before I bought the car from Steveaudiox he told me that the goemetry was spot on as he regularly had it checked because he knew the guy who did it!

I have no reason not to believe him and this now just backs him up!

The first place the car was going when I get it back was to get the geo set up properly but I think I will hold off until I get new rear tyres very soon!!..........and hear some more on this topic!!

And you will... do you have a geometry report that you can display here or email me, in addition can you pm me the cars index.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links