Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supercharged vs. Turbocharged

Hi all,

I've just bought a fantastic '99 IS200 Sport with bodykit and raised rear spoiler and love the car to bits. I'm still totally amazed by the handling and have so much confidence in the car already after only a week of ownership.

However, I bought it knowing that I would want more power from the car (I've owned an Audi S3 previously and was considering the same again but wanted something different so have allowed 16K for the car and 4K for the upgrade in the hope I can get similar performance to the S3 but in a better looking and better built IS200!)

So my question is, given £4000 should I go for a supercharged (from TDI) or turbocharged option? I assume supercharging is more reliable and a little kinder on the engine? What are the general views and are there any other components of the car that should be upgraded at the same time?

cheers in advance,

Pete (Silstream)

it of a anarea that on the US Sites they would swear that turbo's is the only way to go....

however in the last 5-7 years supercharger technology has come a long way,mainly thanks to manufactureres like Mercedes,Jaguar,who now regulary put superchargers on there cars

now the choice you have at the moment is either the TTE(TDI) supercharger or the turbo build up,my choice,

supercharger

why

well not being biased but its a proven application on this engine,it in its stage 1(only stage at the moment) will not damage the engine,and comes with a recognised warrenty(from TTE),you would have to ask morph about the TDI warrenty

hope this helps

are you in the UK,if so TDI is your option if not i went to TTE in Koln,..........

so if you are in the uk coming to the meet......:D

There are more and more company coming out with S/C especially Jap tuning companies like BLITZ. Overall S/C and turbo is relatively the same, similar speed and power output. But the power is delivered differently.

For day to day application I would say go s/c. Torque is at lower revs than turbo, thus more drivability.

But if you want bang for your bucks, turbo would be a cheaper conversion to do with more power output.

Then consider the warranty. TTE / Lexus will have warranty over the s/c whilst my turbo Lexus won't provide warranty. My turbo setup hasn't been as researched as much as TTE s/c, it's a custom job.

If you are interested AVO has a dealer in the UK I believe.

Why did I choose turbo not s/c ??

because my kit is AUD7500 whilst TTE s/c is AUD13000 kit alone, custom made s/c kit is AUD9000.

I opted for the cheaper package.

My choice is the TTE supercharger.

The reasons for choosing the TTE Supercharger are:

1) It is specially designed for 1G-FE engine

2) It is developed by TTE, sister company of TMC.

3) The charger has been tested & TUV approved

4) In Singapore, our Land Transport Authority only approved modification with TUV cert

thanks all for your comments. I'll go with the supercharger - if only because it's tried and tested and doesn't appear to affect the reliability at all - those of you with the upgrade seem well pleased with the results (the 0-60 thread was very useful).

Supercharged - I am in the UK, living in Rickmansworth, NW London (and another M4 commuter to Reading every day) so will try and make the meet in March. It would be great to see example of the Compressor upgrade and meet you all anyway...

thanks again,

Pete. :)