Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1997 Gs300 Starter Problems

woody70

Hi GS's, I am new to this forum, but have been contributing to a Tri Athlon forum, which has proved a great way of sharing ideas/help, and from a quick check through the posts this looks as good!

I have a Mark 1 GS300 from 1997, picked up with 65K on it, just after the nice service, which, othe than a leaky air conditioning hose and a broken drivers electric window has given nearly 100,000 of dutiful and luxurious service, which is really much more than you should be able to expect from any car.

Until Friday, 50 miles from home ( much further than usual ) when an intermittent problem with the starter played up. In the past it has just not connected at all, on the odd occasion, I've then moved it into and out of gear and all was OK. Local garage had a look at the service, but as it hadn't played up in a couple of weeks couldn't find a problem.

On Friday I tried to start it, same problem, but when it did fire up the starter motor would not stop, I ended up disconnecting the Battery, while I tried to find something to tap it with. Still no joy. I limped to a garage a few hundred yards away, as it would drive with the starter running, and as I drove in the starter disengaged.

She then, bless her, got me home, but is now doing it again. I've had a suggestion to replace the starter relay - anyone know where it is??

I've looked at the threads to remove the Starter and clean it up, so will do.

Any other suggestions? Any help would be gratefully received, especially as I've just replaced two tyres, back brake pads and had a service and MOT!

Ian

Hi and Welcome to the LOC.

The starter relay should be in the fuse box under the bonnet near where the Battery lives,could be sticking on.Sounds more like its the starter its self thats the trouble as it shouldnt be spinning and not catching and turning the engine over.Thats where i would start,take it off and clean and grease/oil.Also check the teeth on the starter and the teeth on the fly wheel for any damage.Could also be a bad earth on the starter and its not getting the right amount of voltage to work properly.

Cheers chips.

Hi CHIPS

Thanks for your help, I will have another look in/around the fuse box.

The starter is catching, as it will start the car and sounds pretty much the same as its always done, well, it will when the Battery has any life in it, which this problem is draining fast!

It just doesn't stop once the engines started and the key is turned back to the usual run position, hence I wondered if it was the relay sticking.

Clealry the whole event is not going to have helped the poor old starter, so some TLCis likely to be required there as well, but I'd like to try and make sure I don't put a new / cleaned starter back and do it again, especially in view of the advice of how difficult it is to remove!

Thanks for your suggestions CHIPS, I changed the relay ( 40 quid from Lexus - couldn't find enough detail to look for a pattern one ) nice easy job - didn't do the trick!

still it is a nice green colour ( if anyone want's one I've got a two careful owners one spare from a 140,000 mile mark one GS300!!)

Then we changed the starter. It may heve been easier to dismantle the car around it, rather than try to do the job in situ. The advice from one or two of the other forums re the bits you did have to remove to get at it was great.

I would add that you need various length socket extensions, with universal joint's to get at the two bolts which hold the starter in place. Its DEFINATLY a two man ( sorry person ) job, as you won't know enough swear words yourself to keep you going to the end.

We found that one person had to wiggle it into place from above, while the other was ready to tighten the bolts from below. The starter took some time to 'seat' properly into place, but once it did we got the bolts in relativly easily, and it seems as good as gold now.

So thanks CHIPS, and all others who have contributed to previous starter threads, I've now swapped the diesel mondeo loaner ( also R reg with 140k on it, but a whole different world from our marque ) for my blue GS300 and feel much happier, poorer, but happier ( pattern starter and relay 260 in total )

Cheers all, Ian. :driving: