Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sticky 6 Speed Box

mik

newbie member ...

have had an is200 (new) since Jan, gearchange from 1st to 2nd has always been sticky (kinda have to feel my way into second sometimes esp if engine is cold).

Dealer changed gearbox oil twice, second time was told they used 'syntrax' oil but symptom is still there.

Anyone have a similar experience with their manual box?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes

pretty much exactly the same problem.

It's pretty common - I expect you'll get a lot of responses

:(

still - you are doing the right thing - keep on hassling your dealership!

mine is still really awkward when cold.

Once warmed up - its lovely - but the first few from cold are really difficult.

Dealership has changed oil once, which helped, but not completely fixed.

Will take mine back in, once I can spare the time.

Need to get the car there and leave overnight, then come up and drive with engineer to truly show the problem.

If I drive the 7 junctions up to them - the problem will have completely disappeared.

I used to have the same problem but managed to get it cured!!! It never did it again when I had had the Supercharger fitted, the gear change is soo much smoother now. I have no idea why this has happened or whether it was just coincidence.

Si

Same for me. Its a pretty expensive way to fix a sticky gearbox though :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We've just found the website whilst looking for info on IS200's with baulking 6-speed gearboxes!

We bought our IS200 (1999) about 12 months ago from our local Lexus dealer (all over us to get the cash deal- but no help whenever we have any problems). Right from delivery we stated that the change from 1st to 2nd was unacceptable, and the car has been back 3 times, but each time we were told there was nothing wrong. The car is now out of warranty, and suddenly the problem is even worse!

We thought we were unique with this problem, but now I would suggest it is an inherant design fault.

Ansar

I get the same problem as well, everytime I pull out of my office in the evening it crunches into second gear (and I mean everytime!). It too seems to have got worse recently (since the warranty run out). My advise to anyone still under warrantly would be to get on to the dealer now. I guess I'll just to live with it until I change the car.

I remember hearing something about this. Lexus had it down as a gearbox fault, and they were basically replacing the gearboxes on the cars that had problems.

Basically, they never recalled all the models, they only replaced when someone came up with the fault. I'm surprised that they haven't actually suggested replacing the gearbox so far!

So, if you're not getting the fault, then cool. Mine never had the problem, so there was no need in getting mine done!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine seems to be a little intermitant.... sometimes it is knotchy.. other times it slips in easier than... "have it"

Along with that... it the movement of the stick supposed to be heard outside the car.. like a movement of metal.. not grinding though

- Lee

Mine does it too, but not always though, one thing i realized is that when you are driving the car at average speed for a while it'l crunch in occasionaly, but after when you have given a bit of boost (say on a dual carrage way 60 to 80 mph) then the gear change will be smooth when you return to the avarage speed.

QUOTE (simonskippy @ Nov 4 2002, 08:08 AM)

I used to have the same problem but managed to get it cured!!! It never did it again when I had had the Supercharger fitted, the gear change is soo much smoother now. I have no idea why this has happened or whether it was just coincidence.

Si

Probably something to do with the power level as says 'Si'...

Umm,

unless the clutch plate/flywheel only works efficiently once it is warmed up... perhaps a problem with gear box oil and its

viscosity?

Wonder if the grade of oil makes a difference in the gearbox....

Perhaps TDI could tell us if anything alse is changed (gearbox/transmission wise) when the S/C is fitted?

-Lee

newbie member ...

have had an is200 (new) since Jan, gearchange from 1st to 2nd has always been sticky (kinda have to feel my way into second sometimes esp if engine is cold).

Dealer changed gearbox oil twice, second time was told they used 'syntrax' oil but symptom is still there.

Anyone have a similar experience with their manual box?

Got the same problem and put it down to engine being cold. First to second ain't bad but when you want to kick down to first, you really have to put it. But i don't experience it when i am completely idle.

once I cover up to 10miles, then it's fine.

There's always a ***** too when changing from first to second.

So it's not only me who is having problem with it! :blush:

Mines exactly the same...when you start it up after a long "rest" it does the same thing...like sort of crunching when you going into second or it's really hard putting it in second. After few minutes (10mins or so) it's gone and smooth as anything.

Well theres been many suggestions and complaints...so what do you think I should do? I got the two years extended warranties on it but if it doesn't really help when you take it to the dealer and all they do is change the fluid...what other option I/we got??? Obviously bearing in mind I ain't paying anything extra!!! :crybaby:

Well theres been many suggestions and complaints...so what do you think I should do? I got the two years extended warranties on it but if it doesn't really help when you take it to the dealer and all they do is change the fluid...what other option I/we got??? Obviously bearing in mind I ain't paying anything extra!!! :crybaby:

Mr Lex - I have exactly this problem on my IS, and it is going into the dealer tonight to be looked at.

I am dropping it off tonight, so that we can drive it in the morning and I can show the Head of Servicing exactly what the problem is.

Their solution will not be to change the oil, as they have tried that, and whilst it did yield excellent short term results - the improvements have not lasted - so I will not be willing to let them try that again.

Will post back tomorrow / Wednesday as to how they intend to try and fix it.

Mines exactly the same...when you start it up after a long "rest" it does the same thing...like sort of crunching when you going into second or it's really hard putting it in second. After few minutes (10mins or so) it's gone and smooth as anything.

I've had one similar sounding problem.

Car was parked up for the weekend ...

Started fine ... onto main roads about 10 mins later ...

6th gear locked out completely ... just wouldn't go in.

It was as if something was blocking the gate ...

After about another 10 mins it relented and has been ok again since.

Odd that :duh:

Matthew, that would be excellent! Pls do keep me/we posted!

People we may know after this....??? Lets pray and hope we have a solution for this... :hocus-pokus:

wouldn't get too excited Mr Lex - think the solution is well documented on these boards, there are some guys out there on their second or third gearbox.

I understand that it is a problem with the selector bushes - and that there has been a bulletin issued about it.

:(

I just want to get to the stage where they fix it under warranty for me.

don't get me wrong - I hope my dealer can sort this without a new gearbox, and if he does, then I will be on here sharing that news out.

but I'm not expecting a miracle cure - the solution seems to be a new gearbox, but these are the hoops you have to jump through to get to that solution.

Matthew,

and there's me thinking...it will be a miracle!!!! :P

I know, I suppose it gives me a push to have mine done after result from yours i.e. change of gear box or they actually found the problem - not - but we still can hope and pray...... :hocus-pokus:

I have complained to my dealer about this and they have had the car in twice to do 2 mods to the car

(6 days in total)....last time was about 6 weeks ago (4 days).

They have a service bulletin about it (at Swindon). The box is now better but is still 'sticky' when cold,

sometime 'gritty' but often very smooth. I am still not impressed and so I am booking it in again.

I was told that if their last attempt didn't work they would push Lexus UK for a new box.

Keep going back...hold the dealers to the hype.

Well Whaddaya Know.......I rang to book the car in and was given the following information...

The dealer has 2 other IS200's with similar problems and they are expecting to receive replacement

manufactured boxes to replace the originals which have been built the wrong tolerances. These are

expected in March and I am on the list for replacement when the boxes arrive.

This should fix the sticky box when cold and the grinding gearchange that sometimes occurs.......Result.

[suppose it would be too much to hope for different ratios to make 1st gear worth bothering with

and 6th gear taller to drop the revs and save fuel on the motorway.]