Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sticky 6 Speed Box

mik

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dealer has 2 other IS200's with similar problems and they are expecting to receive replacement

manufactured boxes to replace the originals which have been built the wrong tolerances.

that has been my suspicion all along the tolerances are way out - would explain the syncros blocking across the gears.

The dealer has 2 other IS200's with similar problems and they are expecting to receive replacement

manufactured boxes to replace the originals which have been built the wrong tolerances. These are

expected in March and I am on the list for replacement when the boxes arrive.

This should fix the sticky box when cold and the grinding gearchange that sometimes occurs.......Result.

Excellent Mark!

shall be forwwarding this thread on to the Services Manager at my local dealer (Hi Mal! :D ).

We put a different oil in the gearbox last service - which has defintely improved the gear change when cold.

However, last time the oil was changed - the improvement was only short term.

Hopefully - this change will be permanent - but if it isn't, then this is very handy to know.

1st gear on my car is solid when its cold, loosens up slightly when it warms up but no major change. 5th gear is bad aswell even if it is warmed up, feels really tight when u shift it in especially when im bombing down the motorway

what mileage have you done Mitch?

I was told to expect the box and engine to be a bit tight up to about 3k miles.

I reckon it was still loosening up at about 8k / 9k miles.

well, I've had the car a year now and the problem is still there after 14,500 miles :(

at least it doesn't seem to be getting worse ... more of an annoyance in the mornings ;)

Useful info from MarkF - will put pressure on my dealer to change the gearbox at next service (have already had two oil changes which only cure symptoms temporarily)

will let you guys know how I get on

cars got 3200 miles on it

not saying that you have a running in issue - or a gearbox issue Mitch.

give it more of a chance.

I would say if you took your car into the dealer - they'd say the box is still loosening up.

:unsure:

sorry mate.

From my experience (and only my experience) - it will take at least until the 10k service to say whether you have this problem or not (and I honestly hope you dont mate).

As I said before - I still felt my engine and gearbox were loosening up @ 8k/ 9k miles.

Was it only me who felt like that?

Ditto that.

I noticed a big difference when the car was run in (assume 10K to run in)

Gear box no longer stiff, or sticky in second.

It's quicker off the mark too. I had the S/C fitted at 6K, and it's definately quicker now.

14K on the clock, and smooth as silk. B)

I have too noticed similar problem from 1-2 when cold and sometimes 2-3! As someone said, sometimes get a grating of gears too.

Which garage did you use then who have 2 more!?

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Have exactly the problem as described regarding 1st to 2nd. Been to two different dealerships here in Ireland with it. First one relplaced all the bearings and seals in the box ..... no improvement. Went to another dealer and they said "The gearbox is not built by Toyota but is built by ZF and that this is a "characteristic" of the gearbox and nothing to be concerned about and this is the report they would be giving to Lexus Ireland. i.e. they see nothing wrong with the gearbox.

I'm pullling my hair out........

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Found this site about 4 weeks ago when searching for IS200 gearbox problems. Similar story to most where 1st and 2nd can be difficult when cold or warm. Dealer changed gearbox and diff oil, but as expected no obvious improvement, which was then that I started searching for problems on the net.

Complained to Lexus and pointed out the number of other owners with similar problems. The dealer arranged for Lexus HQ representative to drive the car and then received a call advising that the gearbox is to be stripped and inspected.

That was last Tuesday (10th June) and now eagerly awaiting the return of the car.

Rather than the normal IS200 automatic's that are usually provided, I have been provided a manual IS200 sportcross. The difference is quite marked. Although on occasions if you hurry a change you can feel a slight notchiness, although no different than my A6 quattro, the change quality is quite a lot better. I guess they can get it right !

I expected Lexus to fob me of with the “they are all like that“, looks like it depends upon which dealer you use and how hard you push Lexus HQ.

Interesting to see the various responses from owners but not to confidant that there isn’t a general design issue and that the problem may well return as the miles tot up. Am hopeful that if they are spending this effort and money that there is a solution, here’s hoping !

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I am in need of some advice, ive been reading all the comments relating to the clunck in gear change etc. I have recently purchased a 53 plate IS200 SE which only had 12 miles on the clock...the first thing i noticed was the sticky clunck gear change from 1st - 2nd and sometimes 2nd - 3rd....Is this the norm for this luxury car..?????...is it also the norm to be able to hear the gear change and the movement of the stick from outside the car...???? :question:

So what your trying to say Colin is that a luxury car such as the lexus is much noisier than Datson when changing gears...That is hard to believe..!!!...ive seen other IS 200 and hvnt heard any noises coming from then when changing gears...!!!...

Are u actually saying its the norm for them to be clunky in 1st and 2nd...????

But its hard to believe that the gear change and the movement of the gear stick can be heard from outside the car...???...

To say that the new models hav supposingly not been affected, it is now worrying me alot...anyone else out there that can give me some advice as this is my first purchase of a Lexus IS200 and i would be gratefull of any help....!!!

So what your trying to say Colin is that a luxury car such as the lexus is much noisier than Datson when changing gears...That is hard to believe..!!!...ive seen other IS 200 and hvnt heard any noises coming from then when changing gears...!!!...

Are u actually saying its the norm for them to be clunky in 1st and 2nd...????

But its hard to believe that the gear change and the movement of the gear stick can be heard from outside the car...???...

To say that the new models hav supposingly not been affected, it is now worrying me alot...anyone else out there that can give me some advice as this is my first purchase of a Lexus IS200 and i would be gratefull of any help....!!!

you asked if you can hear the gear change and the movement of the stick from outside the car. I assumed you meant standing next to the car whilst somebody moves the gearstick around from gear to gear with the engine off?

I don't know any car that you cannot hear the gear linkage or the gearbox in that situation.

Same prob with me, but that happens only in cold days, i mean when weather is cold, in summer, never had this problem. However, i was driving a new M3 and the gearbox was also cracky and not smooth. Also some few year old cars that i drove, had "stuck gear" problem, i just released the clutch and tried again, and it was in easily. So i don't really make my head hurt about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Ive recently taken my IS200 to the lexus dealership in Bradford, where i had one of the technicians test drive it with me, he must hav been 20 year old, to me he wsnt very knowledgeable, i sat there and pointed out every clunck and noise to him, and all he said was cnt hear anything OR thats Normal.....I cldnt believe it....His answer was just drive it another couple 1000 miles to see if it persists...

I said no chance, told him to stop the car and open the door and listen to himself putting the car into reverse than 1st and 2nd with his head hanging out....then he said oh yes it is noisy than usual and that it does cluck alot....

I just gasped and said finally.....h esaid he wld put it into the product report and await for a Lexus Representative to come and test drive and authorise any replacement part.....Never hears so much crap in my life...

So what is the point of the mechanics being there.....

Why not hav a garage full of these Lexus test drive authorisers there instead....Never had all this crap regarding problems with my Golf during its Warranty period, it was straight in and out with wat needed to be done....

Was finally told that it was the gearbox that probably need replacing with the new re-designed casings etc.....

I was so futious with the whole situation that i rang Nottingham Lexus up and told them what i thought with it seeing the car has only 500 miles on it now and why a new gearbox is already needed.....They gave me the same old story about all IS200 being like that, i just laughed and said well i hav many friends with the same car that dnt hav this problem and asked them to explain that...!!!!

Nottingham Service then rang Bradford service (lexus) to find out wat was exactly diagnosed, and the tecknician that test drove the car said nothing un-towards....I again started to fume.....2 conflicting assuptions.....

Please someone out there please tell me where i can find a professional Lexus mechanics and not these young apprentices. Where are the good old guys that have years and years of experience......

If nothing is done im just gonna tell them to take the car back out of principle, and i dnt want it...!!!!!!

For a car at the top of its class, what aload of crap.....

wouldnt buy another one if it was the last remaining car on the earth.....

May change my mind if the problems are solved.....

Ive recently taken my IS200 to the lexus dealership in Bradford, where i had one of the technicians test drive it with me, he must hav been 20 year old, to me he wsnt very knowledgeable, i sat there and pointed out every clunck and noise to him, and all he said was cnt hear anything OR thats Normal.....I cldnt believe it....His answer was just drive it another couple 1000 miles to see if it persists...

When my car was having a service at Lexus Leeds I was chatting to one of the drivers as he dropped me off at my office. He mentioned that the engineers at Lexus Bradford were a load of rubbish! :blink:

Anyway, my IS sometimes has the "clunk" (mostly when cold and when trying to change up too quickly) - something I noticed when I bought the car, and something passengers have mentioned to me occasionally too.

The sales chap who sold me the car said something to the effect of "it's a feature of the IS200". I've had someone in servicing tell me the same thing - is there a Lexus conspiracy going on here?

Just wondering - does your gearstick vibrate a bit too? Even when in neutral?

I've sort of learned to live with the "clunk" but it's definitely made me think twice about getting another Lexus - not really because it's such a big problem or anything, it's just the dealer's attitude.

I cnt say ive really noticed a vibration of the gearstick whilst driving or in neutral, will defo look at it tonite and let u know tmrw....

However it cnt be a feature of the car because others have had this problem solved, and some of my mates hav the same car and they hvnt got this problem......!!!!

I think i'd better try the leeds branch if nothing is done by bradford and this Lexus Test driver that im waiting for......If nothing is done i'll be taking it back to Nottingham where i bought it from and talking to the sales person who sold me it and to Jazz Singh the service manager there and demand that this new re-designed parts are put in....

Im not happy with the car at all....

never buy one again...

already thinking of part exchanging it in for a merc

I cnt say ive really noticed a vibration of the gearstick whilst driving or in neutral, will defo look at it tonite and let u know tmrw....

It's not that big a deal but it's something I noticed on the test drive. Not really a problem I suppose, just not what I was expecting from a "prestige" motor.

However it cnt be a feature of the car because others have had this problem solved, and some of my mates hav the same car and they hvnt got this problem......!!!!

Yep, it's very hit and miss. I'd have to admit that mine isn't really all that noticeable 95% of the time, and even when it "clunks" it's not really that big a deal. Maybe it's just that I don't like my passengers telling me I'm a bit rough with the car! :duh:

I guess Lexus UK think that it's not that big a problem as it's not a safety risk or anything that would require a recall - it's just a bit disappointing that a manufacturer that prides itself of customer service and quality let something like this become an issue, and then try to fob off their customers with oil changes and "it's a characteristic of the car" stories.

never buy one again...

already thinking of part exchanging it in for a merc

Funny, I'm thinking of a Merc next. I might look round for a CLK but it'll be next year at the earliest I think - I need plenty of time to prepare myself for how much my IS will have lost in value!! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I'd have a Lexus again but I think I'd go for an IS300 or GS.

I tell you what, we had an E class Merc in Germany and I was well impressed, very nice car and extremely composed at high speed - my IS is nothing like it at 130 and above and feels scary at times !!! Then again the fact that the Autobahn probably had less bumps than the M1 round my way would have helped!

I had the same response from Lexus Nottingham however, basically the manual box is from the Avensis I think it was, and does tend to let the side down, it's the only manual Lexus offer.

To be honest with you I've managed to get a courtesy car today and the gear box isn't perfect, I much prefer mine with the short shifter though, the standard movement is way too sloppy.

I think the notchiness is something that you'll get due to rear wheel drive anyway, sure Mat once said that he's had Beemer's with the same config which were just as bad?

I get the noise too with the gear changing too - shouldn't worry about that one - it's only really evident when I'm changing gears in a narrow street or next to a lorry etc... Get the vibration in sixth too but as I say I've got the short shifter kit and that massively amplifies any vibrations - never noticed it witht he original stick. Actually that's a good point, have you got the Sports quick shifter in there?

Did you try the auto, that is a lot more composed than the manual, but to be honest with you I have much more fun with the manual box :) An IS300 with auto could persuade me though!!

Good luck getting things sorted anyway, who is dealing with you at Notts? Faye or Beth from service, or is it one of the sale's guys?

All I can say is this, my car is with Lexus Sheffield at the moment and they've picked up on a couple of things that were missed by Notts, don't know why unless I can take a brake pad out to 80% worn in 2 weeks and they missed my worn ball joints, although they were explicitly asked about this. Maybe they're not that worn I don't know, but a couple of days after the VSR my front pads were noticed immediately by someone else!!!

I had the same response from Lexus Nottingham however, basically the manual box is from the Avensis I think it was, and does tend to let the side down, it's the only manual Lexus offer.

It isn't from the Avensis - that is quite smooth only let down by the large gearstick travel. The Avensis is front wheel drive, gearbox is completly different.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links