Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I don't own a Lexus at the moment, but I'm thinking of buying a used MK2 GS300 SE. On Saturday, I went for my first test drive in a 1998 with 72000 miles on the clock. The car was superb and drove smoothly and quietly which is exactly the sort of thing I'm after. One thing that did bother me was to do with the steering, and I wondered if any GS owners could comment. When turning the wheel left or right a few degrees from dead centre, there was kind of a very slight, but noticeable click (not audible) as though there was some kind of looseness in the steering rack. The dealer said that he'd not noticed it, but he did not seem to know much about the car anyway! Having said that, most people probably wouldn't notice, but I pay great attention to detail and am a bit of a perfectionist. If this is a normal trait then I could quite happily live with it, just so as to get my hands on a GS300!

Also, is there anything else to look out for when buying a used GS300? I don't know whether to get an older, higher mileage one with warranty from a Lexus dealer, or go private/non Lexus and get a newer/lower mileage.

Thanks

I have a 98 GS300SE-2 - I've never noticed the problem you describe with the steering.

I have about 125,000 miles on mine now - only problem I've had is with the front discs warping - you get a noticeable wobble through the steeing when braking at speed - try it on your test drive.

I'd say these cars are pretty reliable - look for a full Lexus service history and you can't go too far wrong. High mileage is not a problem - I'd tend to go for an approved used one with the warranty, just to give you some peace of mind in the first year of ownership.

Servicing is fixed-price. The 63,000 service is expensive, as it involves a new timing belt and new plugs - make sure any car you're looking at has had it done by Lexus.