Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Been 'done' For 94mph

The Editor

Hi,

I've just been sent a nice letter by Leicestershire Constabulary telling me I was doing 94mph on the A1 lst weekend !!.... Well okay I was :whistling: (It's a fair cop guvnor...)

What I'd like to know is............ Being clocked at 94mph (on a 70mph dual carrageway) can I expect an instant summons to appear in front of Judge Pickles and end up in Wormwood Scrubs or will I get a conditional Offer?

What's the fine likely to be?

What points should I expect? (I already have 3 :crybaby: )

It was on a totally straight section of the A1, the weather was sunny, conditions dry and the traffic was light.

Thanks

The Ed.

P.S -And before you say anything AIDO - Yes I DID have my Origin B2 in the car but it was a mobile camera van and without the radar option that's the only trap the origin doesn't warn you about !!!! :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

P.S -And before you say anything AIDO - Yes I DID have my Origin B2 in the car but it was a mobile camera van and without the radar option that's the only trap the origin doesn't warn you about !!!!  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:

I thought that all mobile camera units were laser, just the fixed position ones operated on radar.

I thought that all mobile camera units were laser, just the fixed position ones operated on radar.

Well, my Origin didn't yell at me so I can only assume it was radar !! If you look on the speedtrap websites you'll see that some of the mobile van types are radar !! :tsktsk: ... BUMMER !!

it is 3 points and £60, co iv been done once before

He's the lucky one!! Mine was 6 points, £350 and a train ride to appear in Doncaster magistrates court. Yes I was a silly boy at 101mph and no, I don't do it anymore...

PS. The traffic cop who caught me on the M180 was so far behind me when he taped me, I couldn;t even see the colour of the car in my rear view mirror, let alone the flashing blue light...

Did you see the van at the time?

Unfortunately it was too late when I spotted it !! (They all say that)... I'm always a bit cautious of white vans parked up with their rear doors facing the oncoming traffic (even it only turns out to be 'Hack-it & Bodge-it Painters and decorators' when you pass the van) but this time I must have not had my glasses on and been talking on my mobile while taking another swig from the jack Daniels bottle ! :driving:

I'm hoping I might get the opportunity to be sent on one of those 'correctional' courses where they show you videos of people flying through windscreens and things instead of the points and fine but I doubt it at 94mph !! :whistling: . Thing is, on a dead straight stretch of dual carrageway in dry conditions with very little traffic in a modern car 94mph isn't all that fast really (I've moved a lot quicker :whistling::whistling: ). I'm sure the authorities will disagree bigtime but there ya go......

I should have been born in Germany.. then I could go as fast as I like (on some roads)

The (caught speeding.... AGAIN) Ed

P.S -And before you say anything AIDO - Yes I DID have my Origin B2 in the car but it was a mobile camera van and without the radar option that's the only trap the origin doesn't warn you about !!!! 

That's a bugger mate, have to admit my laser alert has only gone off at a couple of traffic lights in this area, guess they have some sort of laser on there which sets off the Origin?

Have to admit one of those "garage door openers" is getting more tempting every day!

I got caught doing 74mph on a 40mph dual carriage way...I got 6 points and a £160 fine...you'll be looking at the same I think...perhaps a little more on the fine though!

• 1 month later...
P.S -And before you say anything AIDO - Yes I DID have my Origin B2 in the car but it was a mobile camera van and without the radar option that's the only trap the origin doesn't warn you about !!!! 

That's a bugger mate, have to admit my laser alert has only gone off at a couple of traffic lights in this area, guess they have some sort of laser on there which sets off the Origin?

Have to admit one of those "garage door openers" is getting more tempting every day!

Nope... Traffic lights usualy use MVD (Microwave Vehicle Detection). The frequency they operate in is different to that which the UK enforcement equipment works in.

Just to add my bit I have had a number of laser detectors for speed guns etc over the years about 5 and people don't relise that the cameras only activate when you go through them therefore if you are the only person or first car in the row your detector will not activate untill you activate it, as I have found out in the past !!!!!

I think you have been a lucky boy :driving:

Well....

Update on this.

£60 and 3 points conditional offer.... I'm not going to contest this one at 94mph !!

Oh well... 'what do points make??'

The   :driving:   Ed

That's quite a gentle tap on the wrist for a 94mph'er

Is this your first 3 points ? If so, welcome to the club ! :lol:

Nope... Traffic lights usualy use MVD (Microwave Vehicle Detection). The frequency they operate in is different to that which the UK enforcement equipment works in.

Just to add my bit I have had a number of laser detectors for speed guns etc over the years about 5 and people don't relise that the cameras only activate when you go through them therefore if you are the only person or first car in the row your detector will not activate untill you activate it, as I have found out in the past !!!!!

I think you have been a lucky boy :driving:

Sorry but that is not true. Unless something in your explanation is missing.

My understanding is that you are saying that the speed trap is not active till you get there. The detection system (which will measure your speed and then activate the enforcement device) is active all the time. Be it loops, radar, lidar, journey time from ANPR etc.....

It was explained to me a while ago that the cameras you see on the overhead bridges and by the side of the road are active all the time as you say even if no film inside. the laser only picks up the signal sent out when the unit is activated by a speeding unit so if someone is in front and activates it then the laser detector will go off or if a hand held radar is being used the detector will alarm, but if you are the only car on the road at nite the detector will not go off untill you activate it which is too late and all you can do is :D for your photo. This was how it was explained to me but I stand to be corrected if this is wrong :huh: