Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Illegal Lighting

Moffet

I'm not sure about the specifics of the law when it comes to car modding, so need some help.

I was about to get some clear lenses for the rear fog lights, but then came across an LOC workshop guide to wiring up the fog lights to come on with the brake lights which I liked the look of better. I just want to know if it is road legal to do this, and if not the reasons why. If not, are the clear lenses (with red bulbs) legal?

I also liked the look of the Prolex HID kit but didn't like the sound of the disclaimer on the bottom. It didn't say they were illegal but hinted at it. Is the Prolex HID kit legal to have on the car? If not I might just get the 5500k bulbs from Prolex. Are they legal?

Blue reverse bulbs - also wanted some of these. Are these legal?

I want to do these things with the lights but I don't want to be illegal. Knowing my luck I will be pulled over and given a ticket as soon as I did it! :crybaby:

I'm not sure about the specifics of the law when it comes to car modding, so need some help.

I was about to get some clear lenses for the rear fog lights, but then came across an LOC workshop guide to wiring up the fog lights to come on with the brake lights which I liked the look of better. I just want to know if it is road legal to do this, and if not the reasons why. If not, are the clear lenses (with red bulbs) legal?

I also liked the look of the Prolex HID kit but didn't like the sound of the disclaimer on the bottom. It didn't say they were illegal but hinted at it. Is the Prolex HID kit legal to have on the car? If not I might just get the 5500k bulbs from Prolex. Are they legal?

Blue reverse bulbs - also wanted some of these. Are these legal?

I want to do these things with the lights but I don't want to be illegal. Knowing my luck I will be pulled over and given a ticket as soon as I did it!  :crybaby:

not sure about the legal side of lights, its more of a case of what you can get away with :whistling:

i have the prolex HID`s , and my car has just sailed through the MOT

dont know of anyone who has been pulled for them ...yet !

as for disclaimers almost all aftermarket products carry disclaimers, but only a few honest retailers ever reveal them

also have the blue reverse lamps which are perfectly legal as they light up white and are only blue when not lit

HIDs need to be self leveling. bulbs need to be E marked which most non standard ones are not.

Clear lens are fine, although again the lens should have the E mark on it.

MOT wouldn't check any of this and the chances of getting caught are very slim and even then you would probably just be asked to remove them.

The time these things are closely checked is on an SVA test.

Strictly speaking any HID's which do not have self levelling are illegal.

Like others here I've passed MOT's with them fitted.

If someone was really pedantic they could ask you to remove them as they are not for road use, but no one has ever had this problem in the last four years that I am aware of :D

So get them fitted :winky:

I miss mine, on normal bulbs at the moment and the difference is incredible!

Doubling up the rear fogs as brakes is fine - The rules are no white light at the rear, no red light at the front

it is illegal mike, says so in the lighting regs - is ok to have them as tail lights but it clearly states against fogs/brakes combo.

thats why the workshop guide DID say "STRICTLY FOR OFF ROAD/SHOW USE"

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll be getting an HID kit from Prolex when funds allow :D And some blue bulbs.

Might have to ask a few more questions about the various bulbs etc at the time.

Has anybody on here got the fog lights doubling up as brake lights?

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll be getting an HID kit from Prolex when finds allow  :D And some blue bulbs.

Might have to ask a few more questions about the various bulbs etc at the time.

Has anybody on here got the fog lights doubling up as brake lights?

I have fog/brake and sidelights :D to my fogs

The clear rear fogs don't have an E market as they're made in Taiwan or somewhere and sold in US. Don't think many people outside europe care much about meeting EU regulations.

Mine failed the MOT because either the red bulbs which came with them or ones I changed to (I can't remember which) showed some white light from the base. I now use clear bulbs which I paint red myself and they give a good red colour with no white. I've not put them to the test of an MOT yet though.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links