Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Number Plate Offences

Fatbillslim

my plate is:-

S20 OBW

SO I MOVED THE O AND MADE

S200 BW

all the letters are the new leagal font

I GOT PULLED OVER BY POLICE MAN (I WONT GET IN TO HOW ANNOYED I AM)

he told me the spacing was wrong

and the font was wrong (he is 100% wrong about that)

i have to take them off and sort them out, then get a thing stamped

if i do that, then change the plates back and he see's me again what the worst he

can do to me??

photo-8039.jpg

You can't really be annoyed mate as you got away with it for a while, I had to replace my plates due to the same problem - if they see you again with the same incorrect spacing the DVLA have the power to take away your plate and assign the car a Q plate.

Not worth the bother imo

I'm sure one of the legal chaps (rozzers or lawyers) will clarify things for sure but as far as modifying your reg plate I believe it carries a big fine and points and they can even take your vehicle( especially as you'll be classed as a "repeat offender". Failure to display a plate (which is also the same offence as having a small number plate, like you see on many motorbikes) is only a £20 or £30 fine with no points.

I may be wrong and the law may have changed.

If I were you i'd swap the plate back and get one which makes sense without having to alter anythng.

Put back to normal , Good mate of mine had "L8" in front of his name , so he changed the "L" to look like a "1" got stopped twice in a week by the same bobby , Still did`nt change it got caught again and lost the plate !! i suppose he was asking for it . If you read the blurb it says "you don`t own the plate only the right to use it"

*** i really dont see what the fuss is (if plate can be read ok) just some mis spacing, again too much time wasted by the police easy target the motorist

what harm does it do, And if it is a problem why sell them (DVLA) that is

bit :offtopic: but while travelling home the other night on M6 i noticed those

SPECS cameras between the road works, then seen a motorbike going well over the 40mph limit, then i got to thinking he can getaway with that, as the cameras point at you, and he has no number plate on the front :winky:

The person that designed them must be a biker dont you think :D

You can't really be annoyed mate as you got away with it for a while, I had to replace my plates due to the same problem - if they see you again with the same incorrect spacing the DVLA have the power to take away your plate and assign the car a Q plate.

Not worth the bother imo

Didn't know that!

I got pulled Sunday night for small plate and close spacing. £30 fine a mild slap on the wrist. They told me to change them.... haha! :ph34r:

You got a fine :blink:

I basically got given a producer and told to get it stamped at an MOT centre once the plates were replaced within 14 days but no fine!

Is the law entirely random or did they change something nowadays?

I don't see the fuss! When you see cars with numberplates such as J 16V RS (on a J-reg. RS Turbo) the plate's more likely to stick in your mind when you spot the car hammering it past the primary school doing 50mph (just an example, he didn't do that!).

As long as the font is reasonable, it should be machine-readable.

Is this a job for the "petty officer"?

Not display a correct vehicle registration mark is a fine of £30.

Depending on where you are, and if the borough you are on are carrying out this practise then a VDRS (vehicle defect rectification scheme) can be issued.

This is basically, what has happened to Aido.

Even if you are stopped, in a borough / town / etc that supports the VDRS scheme, it's down to the officers discretion to issue a VDRS or just a £30 fine! - It's not your choice.

If your plate is illegal, then expect to get stopped .......

Continued offences also mean that DVLA can take you cherished no. plate off you - no matter how much you paid for it.

Also, the officer can take the number plates off the car when he has stopped you, for evidence purposes - you will therefore be driving without plates, which is illegal, meaning you have to leave your car where it is until you get new plates made - is it worth it?

The whole point in the number plate thing is so your car is recognisable on the road especially in the event of a road accident.

Ask yourself this - a police officer attends at your door saying your wife/child has been knocked down in the road by a motorist, and killed. Unfortunately, witnesses could not read the number plate due to alterations being made and there is no trace of the accused. How would you feel? And who would you immediately blame for not cracking down on these 'minor offences'? Mmm??

I usually find that that sort of scenario explains things well enough.

I don't see the fuss!  When you see cars with numberplates such as J 16V RS (on a J-reg. RS Turbo) the plate's more likely to stick in your mind when you spot the car hammering it past the primary school doing 50mph (just an example, he didn't do that!).

As long as the font is reasonable, it should be machine-readable.

Is this a job for the "petty officer"?

I agree

I think as long as the text is legal

Ask yourself this - a police officer attends at your door saying your wife/child has been knocked down in the road by a motorist, and killed. Unfortunately, witnesses could not read the number plate due to alterations being made and there is no trace of the accused. How would you feel? And who would you immediately blame for not cracking down on these 'minor offences'? Mmm??

I usually find that that sort of scenario explains things well enough.

O.k I completly hear what your saying

but do you think joe puplic remembers spacing in the plate

I just think they remember 1/2 letters 2/3 numbers 3 letters (if you get my drift)

and if the plate has something to do with the car (IS200) would make things easier

remember

I don't see the fuss!  When you see cars with numberplates such as J 16V RS (on a J-reg. RS Turbo) the plate's more likely to stick in your mind when you spot the car hammering it past the primary school doing 50mph (just an example, he didn't do that!).

EVEN IF JO PUBLIC READ S200 BW AM SURE THE COPS WILL BE ON THE BALL ENOUGH TO NOTICE THAT THE LAST 3 CHARACTERS ARE LETTERS

Anyways apparently any fixed pen. Carries 3 points.

Though I’ve got a cunning plan

Ill get my thing stamped

then get a new set with a little space rather than no space and keep OBW together then if it happens again ill accept defeat

I hear what Murray was saying.

However... I will conjure up my own story later, but for now...

As long as the plate is clearly readable, and the numbers and letters are not misrepresented for example "8 = B" or "4 = A" etc... I see absolutely no harm in alterring the spacing, as long as the font remains legal and easily readable.

I have a 2 in my plate which with imagination (not alteration of the font) is supposed to be an R. I have not changed the font!!! Just the spacing. It is clearly readable as a TWO.

When you report these plates to a the police i have never heard anyone quote the blank spaces, or the order of spaces.

ie: "N-ONE-TWO-A-J-X"

nobody ever reads a plate to an officer as "N-ONE-TWO-SPACE-A-J-X" etc...

• 2 months later...

British number plates have to be the most ridiculously oversized plates on the face of the earth. Whats wrong with the US style plates? They dont ruin the cars front or rear and in some states you dont even need a front number plate.

This country needs to lighten up imo. :duh:

British number plates have to be the most ridiculously oversized plates on the face of the earth. Whats wrong with the US style plates? They dont ruin the cars front or rear and in some states you dont even need a front number plate.

This country needs to lighten up imo.  :duh:

but our plates are the same size as the

german plates

french plates

polish plates

infact most european plates are the same size...but i agree, would be nice to have smaller plates...like the italians do, tiny front, normal sized rear

This country needs to lighten up imo.  :duh:

but our plates are the same size as the

german plates

french plates

polish plates

infact most european plates are the same size...but i agree, would be nice to have smaller plates...like the italians do, tiny front, normal sized rear

sure theyre the same size but those countries dont have absurdly large glow in the dark letters - its massive overkill. You can read a British numberplate from the freaking moon never mind 300 yards. :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links