Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apexi Type V N1 Coilovers Fitted And Mini Meet!

Anees

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I had fitted Imi's Apexi coilovers at a sort of mini meet at Charlesworth Motors with Gord, Imi, Joe Higgy and myself in attendance. Aido was supposed to come but his car wasn't ready.

We (Steve) had trouble adjusting the coilovers because since they had been off Imi's car for a while the adjustments had seized! But lots of elbow grease and WD40 got them moving again.

Once fitted alot of my fears about coilovers were put to rest! I was concerned about a hard ride! Boy was I wrong! They were much smoother then the Eibach springs I replaced. Infact I found them slightly soft on the half-way dampenning setting! :lol: Think I've become used to the hard(ish) ride of the Eibachs.

Handling wise I have chasis braces and TTE AntiRollbars and was previously lowered 30mm on the Eibach springs so I wasn't expecting a massive improvement. Well what can I say. They are great! Got alot more confidence cornering (nearly frightened Imi :lol: ) and the car feels much better to drive. I used to have a few vibrations from the steering wheel here and there and they have all gone. On the way home I took a left turn at an (empty!) roundabout at almost 60mph! Hardly any bodyroll.

My car was only lowered 30mm so it looks like it did before! Imi had his put to the ground almost on his HKS Coilovers which were alos fitted today- using Aidos car as a guide. It was low and looked really nice! Made mine look like a 4X4!! :blink:

Everything may sound great but we did have a problem. The car is knocking at the rear. It is mainly from the rear right coilover but sometimes it happens on the left too. If we changed the dampenning settings it seems to have an effect on the noise. Its like a "knock, Knock" noise. (sorry not very descriptive I know!) Gord and Imi will probably have better descriptions.

Steve checked the car and says it isn't bottomming out, nor is it topping out so I hope their is nothing wrong with the actual coilover :crybaby: Not sure where I would stand regarding a replacement.

Would also like a special mention to Joe "Snake Hips" Higgy for the excellent entertainment. Don't think I've laughed so much in ages! Joe and Aido would make a great comedy partnership! :lol: He absolutely took the mick out of everyone ruthlessly. I felt like I had gone deaf when he left!

If I can get this knocking sorted then I will be more then happy with my purchase!

Anees

Yup glad your happy.

When Imi had those installed the fitter must of failed to apply copper grease to the threads. I normally clean them every month too.

As for knocking, well i have never had it when everybody else has! lol

My damping is on softest setting on the rear though, but would check the strut height it may well be that.

Sounds like you are impressed by the handling like you say hardly any body roll and I just got the standard ARB's :driving:

Have you got a any info on the settings, spring lengths, strut lengths and damping "clicks" in/out etc.

Sounds like you are impressed by the handling like you say hardly any body roll and I just got the standard ARB's :driving:

Have you got a any info on the settings, spring lengths, strut lengths and damping "clicks" in/out etc.

IMO, save your cash for elsewhere, i noticed no difference fitting TRD yellow ARBs. Possibly due to the very low center of gravity ;)

IMO, save your cash for elsewhere, i noticed no difference fitting TRD yellow ARBs. Possibly due to the very low center of gravity ;)

No worries Am, not a consideration at the mo, I got other plans for my wonga mate :ph34r:

Sorry guys. I've been out all day today fitting my mates Car PC (it works and no explosions! :lol:) but thats for another thread.

Yeah I really am pleased with the Apexi's I thought the car handled great before but boy what a difference!

Not had much chance to play with them but I really want the knocking at the rear sorted - it is very annoying! The fronts do not knock at all! Steve read and followed Neil's instructions so we shouldn't have had any knocking!

@Neil - sorry but I don't have all the info about spring lengths, strut lengths unfortunetly. Dampenning clicks I have 8 at the front and I'v been messing about at the back. Think its currently on about 10, but I have not had chance to really play about with them to try and resolve the knocking. What I have found is that on some bumps the backend can really "jump about". Hopefully I get more chance tommorow to check it out.

I took a few very basic pics yesterday too with my phone!

apexi1.jpg

Gord declaring his unrequieted love for green!

apexi2.jpg

apexi3.jpg

Car looks hardly any lower then before!

After seeing Imi's I am tempted to lower mine slightly! :shifty:

I did get a chance push the backend up and down, up and down today and got it to knock, so that means that it must be either topping out or bottoming out at the rear. I will try and get the info from Steve.

Also a BIG THANK YOU to Mr Morse for kindly allowing me to borrow his C Spanners and ofcourse Neil for the great info.

:lol:

Dunno whether Gord and Imi are declaring love to your car or taking a leak over it :o

Looks like I missed a good day, picking mine up tomorrow hopefully :D

Hope you get the noise sorted mate, luckily this was something I never experienced with the TTE coilovers :)

And is it me or have you cleaned your car :o

Yes Joe is a funny guy, I know he looks on here but he's not posted anything yet so come on fella and say hello :D

Can't bring you a Macdonalds tomorrow but sure it won't be long, your mrs will never know and she'll be happy in that you've been eating salad all day :lol:

Can't bring you a Macdonalds tomorrow but sure it won't be long, your mrs will never know and she'll be happy in that you've been eating salad all day :lol:

Mrs?? The imaginary one according to Steve! :lol:

Nope mate.. not cleaned it for ages. I'm much worse then you! :o Your car lately has looked so nice!

Green is just a very shiny colour that is photogenic! Car should look much nicer when its back from the bodyshop and its all polished up! :D

yep.. was a top day.. even tho Aido didnt turn up, but we had a chat..lol

Mr H.. what a guy, top bloke.. good laugh, good entertainment, shame he didn't get paid for it.. "Want to buy some Fish Mr H?"

Aido he's upset with u that u didnt buy him a Mc D's..lol

Anees looks like you got home fine mate, just glad i wasn't in the passenger seat, damn you drive crazy, even crazier in the wet :driving::driving::sick: or it's me just chicken :tomato:

Have dropped mine a bit. :whistling: but not a s much as you Mr Singh, will get afew pics up later, when the rain stops, but these HKS Coils are goooooooooooood.. no wonder they cost an arm&leg.. (Colin.. no knocking, squashing, etc)

Anees, hook up with you weds at Drury Lane then, get the geomatry done..

yep.. was a top day.. even tho Aido didnt turn up, but we had a chat..lol

Mr H.. what a guy, top bloke.. good laugh, good entertainment, shame he didn't get paid for it.. "Want to buy some Fish Mr H?"

Aido he's upset with u that u didnt buy him a Mc D's..lol

Anees looks like you got home fine mate, just glad i wasn't in the passenger seat, damn you drive crazy, even crazier in the wet :driving:  :driving:  :sick: or it's me just chicken  :tomato:

Have dropped mine a bit.  :whistling: but not a s much as you Mr Singh, will get afew pics up later, when the rain stops, but these HKS Coils are goooooooooooood.. no wonder they cost an arm&leg.. (Colin.. no knocking, squashing, etc)

Anees, hook up with you weds at Drury Lane then, get the geomatry done..

Glad your coils are sorted Imi!

Joe Higgy is actually on the site has "Joe Higgy" so send him a PM! :lol: Mr Hi is Ally!

Btw - Driving wise its just you being chicken! :P :P Since the car isn't fast in a straight line I can only take advantage of it being quick around corners.

I just want to clarify here that the function of ARBs is completely different to that of Coils. When I use car my car on the track (and thats driving it hard), and I have done so with and without uprated anti-roll bars, I noticed a massive difference. It all depends on if you want "show" mods or actual improvements to the way the car performs/handles.

BTW Anees - glad you got sorted. I was going to come up with Aido to see you all, but unfortuantely his car wasn't ready. Maybe next time! :)

BTW Anees - glad you got sorted.  I was going to come up with Aido to see you all, but unfortuantely his car wasn't ready.  Maybe next time!  :)

It as a shame because its the first time I've been around so many lexus's and not one was boosted! :P Was awaiting the grand entrance. :hehe: Steve was raving about your Turbo by the way! Said it should be driving much better now that its been mapped. :shifty:

I just want to clarify here that the function of ARBs is completely different to that of Coils. When I use car my car on the track (and thats driving it hard), and I have done so with and without uprated anti-roll bars, I noticed a massive difference. It all depends on if you want "show" mods or actual improvements to the way the car performs/handles.

Respect what your saying mate.

But, i little had difference, and i drive my car very hard, sure you've seen Milton Keynes roads :)

In your case, your car is alot higher than mine, so there still more bodyroll which i guess the ARBs are helping you to stabalise the extra roll.

I didn't just slam mine for looks, i did it for performance handling also, an were also lucky with a alloy block we don't get the dreaded understeer ;)

hey up  girls  hope you  car  is  ok.  where is  that  tight  get who come  up  with  ten  fags  and  would  not  buy  food. hey  aido  is it  true the  mr hutch said  you  are  gay :D  :D  :D . where is my  (macdonalds) :driving:  :zee:

Joe :D

Nah that's not true mate, that's what you get for leaving the computer logged in when I'm getting ready to go out!

I'm not gay, I'm just happy :lol:

That should put Hutch's mind at rest :P

As for your Maccy D's fella I've just eaten it - I need it more than you do today, needed to soak up the beer :o

See you soon buddy :)

I just want to clarify here that the function of ARBs is completely different to that of Coils.  When I use car my car on the track (and thats driving it hard), and I have done so with and without uprated anti-roll bars, I noticed a massive difference.  It all depends on if you want "show" mods or actual improvements to the way the car performs/handles.

Respect what your saying mate.

But, i little had difference, and i drive my car very hard, sure you've seen Milton Keynes roads :)

In your case, your car is alot higher than mine, so there still more bodyroll which i guess the ARBs are helping you to stabalise the extra roll.

I didn't just slam mine for looks, i did it for performance handling also, an were also lucky with a alloy block we don't get the dreaded understeer ;)

Am - I also appreciate what your saying. :)

Tell you what. Lets see you out on a track once your car is mapped and running properly and we'll compare notes. I'm not undermining what you are saying at all here - so don't get upset. But there is NO WAY you will drive your car on a public road as hard as the guys out at Silverstone/Brunters (and I think you're car is still not running right because of your ECU right?). That's the whole point of track days. :)

I really look forward to seeing it out on a circuit one day soon... :)

But my main point was that the function of coils and ARBs are completely different. I think you agree with that and therefore job done.

Defo mate. You wouldn't get a F1 car performing wonders on public roads

I mean to say with a much lower center of gravity in my situation ARBs didn't give the overwhelming boost in handling as others have noted, i.e. reduced body roll and composure.. I certainly drive the pants of it on the roads though, probably too hard sometimes as as you know boosted tezza bites you on the ***** with fuel costs :crybaby:

edit: yes it runs pretty poor, ECU and other mods imminent :)

hey up  girls  hope you  car  is  ok.  where is  that  tight  get who come  up  with  ten  fags  and  would  not  buy  food. hey  aido  is it  true the  mr hutch said  you  are  gay :D  :D  :D . where is my  (macdonalds) :driving:  :zee:

Joe :D

Nah that's not true mate, that's what you get for leaving the computer logged in when I'm getting ready to go out!

I'm not gay, I'm just happy :lol:

That should put Hutch's mind at rest :P

As for your Maccy D's fella I've just eaten it - I need it more than you do today, needed to soak up the beer :o

See you soon buddy :)

lmao :D :D :D only jokeing m8. you will never be as tight as that bloke with that old nail of a car . you no the one . :winky: :winky:

Yeah think you're on about Zee :P

You were right about one thing pal, I'm sat here typing this while I'm sat on a deckchair and eating beans out the can :lol:

Think Anees will be glad to see you here fella, he liked you :D

When's the xmas party anyway?

Yeah think you're on about Zee :P

You were right about one thing pal, I'm sat here typing this while I'm sat on a deckchair and eating beans out the can :lol:

Think Anees will be glad to see you here fella, he liked you :D

When's the xmas party anyway?

Aido, are we have the christmas party in that pub you was in the other night ? are you coming over :D steve is getting his money out :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links