Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mobile Phone Installation In Gs300 Mk2

Hi All,

I am about to purchase an in-car mobile system for my GS, probably either the Sony Ericsson HCA-20 or HCA-200. I am choosing a wired system over Bluetooth as the SE P900 has legendary bad Bluetooth.

Whilst I am more than happy to do the installation myself, I wish to do a decent job of it, I therefore have a few questions I was hoping fellow members could answer.

1. Where is the best location for mounting the black box?

2. Where is the best place to source the 12v connections from in the GS & can I get a Plug that will suit rather than "spuring" into existing wires?

3. I know about the problems of not being able to route the sound through the hi-fi and will be using a seperate speaker, but how do I get access to the mute cable on the hi-fi (and which one is it)?

4. What is the best method/location of attaching the phone holder. I obviously do not want to be screwing into the console etc., so where???

Finally is there anyone out there who has this actual system installed in a Lexus who can give me the benefit of their experiences with the system, pros/cons etc.

Thanks in antisipation of your assistance,

Nigel

Pull down the cover underneath the glove box - and then un-tuck the carpet along the left side of the transmission tunnel - there's enough space in both of those places to put the box.

The mute wire goes onto the amp - which is behind the glove box. If no-one else comes along with the pin location I can dig it out - let me know.

You can pick up a good 12v (always on and switched) from teh amplifier hardness too - and an earth - so all wires are in a good location.

Have a look at www.dashmount.co.uk for some ideas about how to mount your phone without drilling holes.

hth

Edited by Rodders_UK

Hi

I've got a pre-facelift Series-II GS300 with Satnav. I had a Bluetooth kit installed - the installer used a lead and relay-box which connects into the existing wiring loom. The handsfree uses the drivers side speaker.

The box and lead provide an ISO connector which the handsfree kit plugs into. The only thing it doesn't provide is the mute, can be connected to (I believe) a blue wire going to pin 7 of connector S17, on the amplifier.

The amplifier is located in the passenger footwell, on the left hand side.

The installer put the relay-box and the cable harness in the space just behind the glove compartment - the handsfree unit was put behind the carpet to the right of the passenger footwell (there's quite a lot of space behind there...)

I had a bracket installed in the gap between the surround and the stereo, on the left of the stereo (next to the 'audio' control) - it is pushed into the gap and held in place with a double-sided tape, so it could be easily removed without leaving any marks.

The installer reckoned there was no problem using the stereo speakers on the GS300, unless you had a Mark Levinson stereo, which didn't provide a mute lead.

Hope that helps!

OK got my car kit, got the panel off under glovebox, but cannot get at the amp??? I presume it is the unit with the large heatsink on the left side of the passenger footwell (by the fuse box).

Do I need to get at the back of the amp or can I wire the mute pin cable to the hi-fi instead? If not is there an easier way to get at the amp...does the clovebox come out easily and can i get acces by doing this?

Currently stuck outside in the rain and frustrated, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel

As I remember, the connector for the amp is on the front, and you can easily splice into the mute wire there (I think you may have to take the glovebox out though - it's a while ago and I honestly can't remember). The diagramn I sent you has pin numbers on it which correspond to the picture of the plugs on the other diagram (I hope that makes sense)

I certainly remember it being quite easy to do though mate

Edited by Rodders_UK

Hi All,

I am about to purchase an in-car mobile system for my GS, probably either the Sony Ericsson HCA-20 or HCA-200. I am choosing a wired system over bluetooth as the SE P900 has legendary bad bluetooth.

Whilst I am more than happy to do the installation myself, I wish to do a decent job of it, I therefore have a few questions I was hoping fellow members could answer.

1. Where is the best location for mounting the black box?

2. Where is the best place to source the 12v connections from in the GS & can I get a Plug that will suit rather than "spuring" into existing wires?

3. I know about the problems of not being able to route the sound through the hi-fi and will be using a seperate speaker, but how do I get access to the mute cable on the hi-fi (and which one is it)?

4. What is the best method/location of attaching the phone holder. I obviously do not want to be screwing into the console etc., so where???

Finally is there anyone out there who has this actual system installed in a Lexus who can give me the benefit of their experiences with the system, pros/cons etc.

Thanks in antisipation of your assistance,

Nigel

I'm getting my HCB-30 handsfree kit fitted to my GS300 sport mk1 on Wednesday by an auto spark in Dumballs Road Cardiff. I'll let you know how it goes, but he did say to me that some Lexus stereo's aren't very handsfree friendly!

Hi all,

Finally got round to completing the install. Once I got the glove box out (thanks Rodders!) it was a doddle. All the connections at the rear of the amp are exposed and it was a simple matter of working out the connections from the wiring diagram (Thanks Rodders AGAIN :P ).

I mounted the Black box on the body to the left hand side of the glove box with sticky pads and took all connections from the amp, including the mute - there is a nice little space there that accomdated the box and all the cables and still left room to put the glove box back in place :D I ran the phone cable (to cradle) behind the glove box and into the centre console. After removing the ashtray it was simply a matter of pulling the cable through and putting everything back.

The only problem I did initially encounter was humming/interferance when using the phone, but I added a few RF coils to the speaker & mic cables (the type that come on lots of electrical power supplies these days - laptops, printers, USB cable etc.) ...and hey presto, no more interference.

The system works like a dream, is crystal clear and the echo cancellation works great. Friends say they can't tell I'm on a Car Kit so big thumbs up!

Whole job from start to finish took approx 3 hours with several coffee breaks.

Thanks to all the people who mailed me advice and a special thanks to Rodders without who's expert knowledge I would have been seriously up a certain stretch of water without a certain impliment :blink: CHEERS!!! :P :P :P