Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres

Fidgits

Okay...

had a look at my tyres today - the rears okay, about 2-3mm around the whole tyre, I'll replace them soon...

the problem are the fronts...

The centre (and inside) is about 2mm - but the very outer tread goes from the 2mm down to, well, not very much (still some tread, but sub 1mm)...

The legal requirement is:

tread depth of at least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band comprising the central three quarters of the breadth of the tread and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.

Now, my interpretation is, that my tyre, while very worn, still is legal (just) as it is only the very edge (less than the 3 quarters) that is less than 1.6mm...

I am planning on replacing them, but i have a long journey on tuesday, and as you probably know, finding somewhere with the Dunlops in stock can be a little tricky.... :unsure:

so, i guess i was looking to see if my understanding was correct, and in the worst case of me not managing to get some new tyres, that i wont be in severe trouble!

Up to you Ian........but if it were me, I would have had the car re-shod weeks ago!

I agree. Its not just the law / points and fine to worry about, its your own and others health and safety and possible life to think about.

Better to be safe than sorry mate

Okay...

had a look at my tyres today - the rears okay, about 2-3mm around the whole tyre, I'll replace them soon...

the problem are the fronts...

The centre (and inside) is about 2mm - but the very outer tread goes from the 2mm down to, well, not very much (still some tread, but sub 1mm)...

The legal requirement is:

tread depth of at least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band comprising the central three quarters of the breadth of the tread and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.

Now, my interpretation is, that my tyre, while very worn, still is legal (just) as it is only the very edge (less than the 3 quarters) that is less than 1.6mm...

I am planning on replacing them, but i have a long journey on tuesday, and as you probably know, finding somewhere with the Dunlops in stock can be a little tricky.... :unsure:

so, i guess i was looking to see if my understanding was correct, and in the worst case of me not managing to get some new tyres, that i wont be in severe trouble!

well you could ask mr scarface

then again, judging by the state of his tyres, i wouldnt bother :ohmy:

according to our man of the law his are legal !!

he was spouting something about 75%

best to be on the safe side rather than whats legal, i would get on the phone and locate some :D

Actual law states the tyre must have 1.6mm of tread over 75% of the tyre measured from the middle, the remaining 25% divided between each shoulder can be devoid of tread, but be wise some tyres tread goes beyond the contact area and onto the sidewall, so if the tyre is 215mm you need to measure across the tyre find the actual tread area, then do the math?

215mm -75%=53.75 divided by 2=26.87 now you know the 'actual' tread area measure 26.87mm from the edge if after that you are under 1.6mm then your 'nicked'

well, i phoned around, and a local place had 2 Sp9000's in stock - so I went this morning, took 45 mins - but good price... Got back to the car, and...

They've put on Dunlop 3000's - which are bi-directional, and not what I asked for, I complained, and they made a call to get 4 9000's in this afternoon - so I can go back at 4pm to get them replaced- I might get the rears done while im there...

But what hassle!!!

and you can tell the difference - the 3000's are really bad by comparison! :ph34r:

Actual law states the tyre must have 1.6mm of tread over 75% of the tyre measured from the middle, the remaining 25% divided between each shoulder can be devoid of tread, but be wise some tyres tread goes beyond the contact area and onto the sidewall, so if the tyre is 215mm you need to measure across the tyre find the actual tread area, then do the math?

215mm -75%=53.75 divided by 2=26.87 now you know the 'actual' tread area measure 26.87mm from the edge if after that you are under 1.6mm then your 'nicked'

Well done that man ..................... ;)

Leave my tyres alone ! I'm buying new ones soon ........... when Father Christmas gets me some ! :D

sorted...

nice new (right type) of rubber on the front - still need to sort the back - but they are still easily legal (over 2mm all over) and will sort later this week/next week...

2mm !! mr scarface will buy em off ya

thats 2mm more than his :lol::lol:

Well done that man ..................... ;)

Leave my tyres alone ! I'm buying new ones soon ........... when Father Christmas gets me some ! :D

I am proud to say in 2003 and 4 i was part of the 'Police Winter Campaign' involving car safety.... this area was advise for tyres /lights / belts and so on.. :D Within the five hours seven were requested with tyre issues, within our train eight lwere reported for number plate violations, and ( ONE ) was done for being on the phone...........Get off that F***ING phone....... it Kills... Go home make that call, i must admit as a biker, anyone on the phone is a killer in the making.

Nuff said........ cat kicked!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links