Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 - Diary

koshime

full size spare only adds weight to the car.. alot of owners remove it and take a can of tyre weld with them.

Is that legal Steve ?

What would happen if you were pulled over, your car was just randomly checked and they found a can of tyre weld in the hole where your spare should be ? :blink:

Perfectly legal, some vehicles come that way from the manufacturer.

Personally I wouldn't like it, tyre weld will get you by with a simple puncture, but if the tyre is badly damaged then you're knackered.

I once ran over a brick on the motorway and it tore the sidewall out.

You are not required by law to have a spare tyre in your car - however, if you do have one, it is required to be of legal tread depth...

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not required by law to have a spare tyre in your car - however, if you do have one, it is required to be of legal tread depth...

Correct Ian.

Basically, you either have a LEGAL spare (correct thread etc) or you don't have ont at all.

:D

Righty

Diary update

Mileage: 600 miles

MPG Avg: 26.9

Tank MPG Avg 29.8

MPG at 60 autocruise - 45 MPG

MPG at 70 autocruise - 45-47 MPG

MPG at 73 autocruise - 45-49MPG

Limiter set at 73 Miles

Autocruise

- was very useful around leicester where roadworks on the South junction M1 had SPECS at 40mph. Made me lose any urge to speed if there is a gap! What a license saver!

Had to wash the damn car at 8pm in the night though as the severe slush, had blacked out the rear parking mirror (reverse assist rendered useless) and side mirrors (absolutely caked!) thank *** for a decent rearview mirror!

Otherwise, passenger ride for that 300 mile journey from a 6 footer colleague, although seems cramped, the lush leather seats, individual climate control and firm ride was so comforting he was asleep for most of the journey

Some engine details.

RIght firstly - openign the bonnet, ther eis a small latch/depression which you release and the bonnet pops up automatically on hydraulics

However, to close...took me abtou 30 mins of fumbling, pressing, banging. called Paul Butt at leicester and he said, they had the same problem. Just slam the front down with considerable Force ++++ I did. and it worked! bizzare!

Slushed!

picture-009.jpg

picture-011.jpg

picture-012.jpg

picture-010.jpgpicture-020.jpg

picture-015.jpgpicture-019.jpg

picture-026.jpgpicture-018.jpg

picture-016.jpgpicture-013.jpg

picture-017.jpg

apparently the bonnet "slamming" is a design feature tied in with the legal requirement to protect pedestrians.............

does seem a bit 1970's though, so can`t say i`m convinced!!!

Shouldn`t they be hissing shut on hydraulic closers like the boot on the RX? :D

I did think it would/should have shut like the back of a standard RX boot. Sadly no...Force is required.....but otherwise....the potential for engine detailing will be interesting.

For example, if one were to add any mods, what parts of plastic would you consider cutting through to increase the BHP?

Hi

Just picked up my IS250 today, thrilled to bits with it. Comfort, road holding, silent cruising etc, just need to get used to the noise from the low profile tyres. Just read through the instruction manual -phew! Lots of sensible advice, did not know we had a unique road problem here in the uk it states ' Avoid hot holes....' sound like some good advice for something else!!

It has been suggested I get the car treated with Supagard for £299, anyone else had this done? Is it a good investment especially if the car is left out on the drive all the time?

Hi

Just picked up my IS250 today

What spec vehicle did you get?

SE with park assist added as an extra. I am retired so do not need all the 'treats' anyway the basic sound system is great, it drives like a good un too! Just a small stain on the metallic paint I cannot remove with polish, so they will have to look at that for me.

A question to those lucky people who are already :driving: around in shiny new IS250s with the Sat Nav option:-

Does the traffic avoidance feature work? Do you get notified of hold-ups on the screen, or does the system just guide you around it (if your using the Nav system)? Can you zoom out from your location and see problems highlighted on a larger map?

Now to anyone with new a IS250:-

I have seen Bridgestone and Dunlop tyres fitted to the 17" rims of SE-L spec cars, does anyone have any opinions as to which ones are better for ride comfort and low tyre noise? It seems a pity to spoil such a quiet cabin with intrusive tyre roar.

Is there a NON smoker option? What is fitted in the place of the front and rear ash-trays instead?

Hi

Just picked up my IS250 today, thrilled to bits with it. Comfort, road holding, silent cruising etc, just need to get used to the noise from the low profile tyres. Just read through the instruction manual -phew! Lots of sensible advice, did not know we had a unique road problem here in the uk it states ' Avoid hot holes....' sound like some good advice for something else!!

It has been suggested I get the car treated with Supagard for £299, anyone else had this done? Is it a good investment especially if the car is left out on the drive all the time?

This has been posted a few times. The Supaguard treatment is not worth the money unless of course you don't want to give the car a decent high tech polish yourself. There's plenty of advice on this site on car care. My IS200 had the Supaguard treatment, but didn't last as long as the one I gave it with a decent polymer polish and resin finish.

A question to those lucky people who are already  :driving: around in shiny new IS250s with the Sat Nav option:-

Does the traffic avoidance feature work?  Do you get notified of hold-ups on the screen, or does the system just guide you around it (if your using the Nav system)?  Can you zoom out from your location and see problems highlighted on a larger map?

I drove the GS300 with this feature enabled. From memory the system beeps and on the screen it says something like "Traffic reroute possible press yes to accept new route". Could someone confirm this?

I don't think the system shows holdups on the map. I have seen the BMW system and you get signs similar to this: :excl: where there are traffic hold-ups on the map.

I currently have SmartNav in my car which is voice guidance with no map. It is very good in terms of traffic delays in that it tells you how long the holdup will be for and you then have the option of accepting the new route.

I've been testing the sat nav extensively, over the past few days. Will give my devon /cornwall trip later.

Suffice to say

Week1

Mileage: 1000 miles (swindon)

Satnav and traffic avoidance/alert worked a treat.

There were like 7 bloody road works/going on at night on Friday night, prior to the snowfall on the cornwall route (luckily, took the bristol route to devon)

The satnax, with voice assistance works as such

You can choose to alert you to the RDS-traffic with voice or just as an icon on 1/ en route or view all traffice

But you need to make sure it is enabled, with each destination i think for it to work. You have 2-3 diff icons that tel you abtou traffic holdups, congestion. you have to press info for further info on the particualr hazard

Some pics on my 450 mile round trip to devon and back to london

Friday! For all week, reports of snow were coming in. It was only in devon that i finally met some decent snow! The whole township of Newton abbot was a picteresque picture post card of a christmasy english village

picture-039.jpg

The car after travelling in snow for 2 hours. Still looks decent

picture-041.jpg

Err some smatterings of fresh snow powder

picture-044.jpg

The morning after. Most of the snow is already melting in Kingsteinton, Newton abbot. Meanwhile, horrific reports of stranded passengers, and travellers on the motorway in cornwall are coming in

picture-047.jpg

THe new lady still makes me smile. I'm sure all you other lucky IS250 owners beam with pride as well! Woohoo!

picture-049.jpg

Sightseeing to a new business for the Other half's family in the quiet seaside town of Dawlish (where you say....) Since its winter, busines is pretty much dead. But most can afford to close the shops from autumn to spring, and the intake from summer season alone is sufficient for these lucky guys to live a life of relative enjoyment post summer seasion

picture-051.jpgpicture-053.jpg

Dinner with the in laws the chinese way in Plymouth. The bloody roadworks again. Its like the whole of South england is fille dwith roadworks that no one seems to be working on. But walking aroudn in high vis jackets, but empty tractors..and trying to look busy while most of the lanes are closed down to one lane and strange...strange miniscule GATSO 2 spped cameras poised to snap ones plate (autocruise to teh rescue again - with it. set the speed to 40mph...and i cant speed...)

We prepare some live sumptious seafood, consisting of lobster/crab/scallops and chinese noodles!

picture-054.jpg

Giant crabs - measuring 2 1/2 hand widths. Local devon chinese delicacy! Yum yum!

picture-055.jpg

Scallops ready to eat. The chinese way , means generally family dinner consists of placing newspaper on ones expensive table set while lots of relatives gather round for a extensive gut busting meal lasting 5-6 courses... could...barely...drive us and the inlaws home...after

picture-056.jpg

In the end

I baptised the new lady with 1000 miles on the clock in swindon.

Passed 3 lexuses on M4 into London. Listened to "the calling" and robbie's new album, singing aong with the missus, and brother in law all the way home.

I think i am ready to redline this Is250 soon.

Autocruise works a treat up those 45 degree slopes on devon. Far better than automatic by itself! Try it for yourself....

Seating - the front driver/passenger lumbar support was great. Especially since the father in law had chronic back pain. Even the two old grannies had a good treat with the sat nav/ and voice command. We let them sit in front for easier acess with the cane.

The back seat, although seemingly abit cramped was actually quite enjoyable for the 450 mile trip. As long as you are not longer than 5 11 - it should seat most folks fine for short or moderate road journeys.

Well the problem with std cruse is that you have to accomodate everyone else who has no cruse, so you end up overtaking on the inclines etc. Adaptive Cruse will hold you a set distance from the obstruction in front, or so the threory goes :)

Much better then on / off up/down with the cruse control.