Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reset Check Engine Light

sxwk12

Hello everyone. I am a newbie here. I just bought a white 99 Lexus GS300 and I love it already. But I have a fairly simple problem. After about a week of having the car, the check engine light came on. I know there is nothing wrong with the car because it was checked out before I bought it. I just need to get it reset. I really do not have time to take off from work, now that I have a car payment so I was hoping someone could tell me how to reset this light.

Thanks,

Sidney

We just bought a 1999 Lexus (our first) GS 300 with 9,324 miles on it from Carmax with paint, interior, engine, and trunk that support this is truly a very low mileage car. Our glee was dashed when the third day we owned it the "check engine" light came on.

A desperate call to the local Richmond, VA Lexus dealership put me in touch with a service rep who (informing me that Carmax usually performed a thorough check) provided the following solution and explanation. He did say to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER.

With the car off as though you were at the gas pump, take the gas cap off and leave it off for 30 seconds. Replace the gas cap and TURN IT UNTIL YOU HEAR THREE CLICKS...THREE CLICKS...CLICK, CLICK, CLICK (it sounds more like crack, crack, crack). The "check engine" light should go off after you have driven the car a few more times. He added that this coud take a couple of days.

The light was off the next day. Something about if the gas cap seal is not tight, it will make the car think that there is a pressure leak which will trigger the "check engine" light. Of course this means that every time you get gas you have to make sure you turn the cap until you hear at least three clicks or else the "check engine" light may keep coming on.

Hope this helps,

Lovemy1990then2000chryslertownandcountrybutohtodrivealexus!

• Like 1

We forgot all of that good advice I wrote above (by the way, the car color is awesome - Egyptian sand) and a rushed run to the gas pump was later followed by the "check engine" light. Recapped with "CLICK, CLICK, CLICK" (rem sounds more like crack, crack, crack) exactly as instructed and the light went off the same day.

Koch's Postulate of cause and affect has been fulfilled!

SPREAD THE WORD!

lovemy1990then2000chryslertownandcountrybutohtodrivealexus!

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I am a newbie here. I just bought a white 99 Lexus GS300 and I love it already. But I have a fairly simple problem. After about a week of having the car, the check engine light came on. I know there is nothing wrong with the car because it was checked out before I bought it. I just need to get it reset. I really do not have time to take off from work, now that I have a car payment so I was hoping someone could tell me how to reset this light.

Thanks,

Sidney

Yeah, disconnect the Battery for like 15 min. or take out the ECU fuse in the fusebox.. Taking out the fuse is quiker and easier...

• 4 years later...