Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Forward-facing Child Seat

Went to have a sort of test-fitting for a forward-facing child seat (rated for sprogs of 9-18kg), the sort that has its own flat frame-base. It seems these seats have to be very tightly fitted to the rear seat, with some even having a lever to tighten the belt, even after you have leant on the seat whilst fixing it in.

Trouble was, the person who did the fitting found that the rear seat-squab (mine's a 1996 LS400) was too squashy, causing the top of the seat to tip forward: apparently not a good thing.

So I went to the Lexus main agent who said that Lexus child seats were made by Britax and that they had never heard of this squashy-squab scenario.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and what was the solution? A bit of stiff carpet underneath the seat, to spread the load, perhaps?

Ta muchly.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a front facing child seat fitted to the rear of my Mk3 1996 LS too. It is secured on its base, which in turn is secured to the seat by tightening the seat belt with a ratchet lever. It certainly digs deep into the leather (which alarmed me at first!) and is, I suppose, a little 'squashy' but not that it causes either a compromise of safety or indeed any damage to the leather.

It may depend on what brand of car seat we're talking about. Mine's a Concord Ultimax and it alternates between the back of the LS and my Citroen C5 (in which it leans quite heavily to the right owing to the more 'bucket' like nature of the rear seats in the C5).

Have you tried the Concord? If not, what brand did you have test-fitted?

Thank you both for your replies. After three trips to the store, I settled on a Britax Renaissance, which seemed to fit more firmly than than others that were tried. Don't think my rear seat has been used any more than usual (c.90k miles).

However, the belt-tensioning device caused this child seat to dig into the leather (alarmingly indeed, Grahamwl), so I bought a very good seat protector - 'Super Mat' -which seems to do what it says on the tin!