Sign in to follow this  
maddywork

Headlights Staying On

my 2001 S200SE is in the auto-sparkies place. HLC relay and Theft Deterrent ECU were changed but this made no difference... Will update soon...

update... Autospark has sorted it. Not sure how but there's no auto-lights any more.

update... Autospark has sorted it. Not sure how but there's no auto-lights any more.

Hi Grantwils, i had the same issue with my car, the car leaked prior to my ownership however they got a sparky in who bypassed everything and the result was the loss of the Auto Lights.

I seriously recommend you read my thread to make sure you haven't been left with the same dangerous bypass.

Linky

Hi Grantwils, i had the same issue with my car, the car leaked prior to my ownership however they got a sparky in who bypassed everything and the result was the loss of the Auto Lights.

I seriously recommend you read my thread to make sure you haven't been left with the same dangerous bypass.

Linky

I think I'll be checking this weekend!

Guys it might be a silly question ... my car had the windscreen replaced by one of the previous owners... dont ask me how long ago I have no clue.

Let's say the new windscreen already has a small chip on it.

Does this problem occur to the cars with Xenon lights as well or only the Halogen ones?

Guys it might be a silly question ... my car had the windscreen replaced by one of the previous owners... dont ask me how long ago I have no clue.

Let's say the new windscreen already has a small chip on it.

Does this problem occur to the cars with Xenon lights as well or only the Halogen ones?

Both types, although the issue is nothing to do with the lights themselves, it is down to water getting in the fusebox due to leaky screen.

A chip wont do any damage, it's down to the window not being fitted right.

Nice to know I think ... lol

I don't know how the halogen lights work ... but I have noticed that it is not possible to switch on the Xenon lights without the Key on the on position.

So I was wondering if it was the same for the halogen lights?

Another update on this...

I had condensation issues and had removed all sorts of interior trim looking for a leak which I never found.

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the cabin filter (less than 5 mins, less then £15, easier than changing a bulb) and condensation issue is gone.

I suspect knackered old cabin filter contributed to or caused this issue which resulted in condensation dripping into electrics in footwells causing headlight issues.

If your cabin filter is clogged, thenthe ammount of fresh air from the outside will be greatly reduced and so stale moist air will not be replaced and you will suffer from condensation....

Hi All. Goldmine of info on this thread - last Sunday I came home late in torrential rain and found the headlights kept coming on after locking the car up. I've only had the car 2 weeks so didn't know any of the history, but checked the windscreen and its a Pilkington.

I pulled out all the connectors in the fuseboard on the drivers side and gave them all a spray with Contact Cleaner. Then I checked the passenger side and found 3 of the connectors badly corroded and all green and yucky. Gave them a good cleanup, sprayed all round with contact cleaner and with WD40 and the problem has gone.

Then I checked the windscreen - the top passenger side clearly isn't sealed correctly, and the bottom passenger side is also pretty poor. Will be having a go this weekend with the sealant gun. I have no idea when the screen was replaced or who with so I have no real come back - and not sure if the dealer who sold me the car will take any interest. I'll see if a bit of sealant sorts it - given the fact we have rain non stop forecast for the next week will be a good enough test.

I suspect the previous owner sold the car because of this fault - the battery was pretty low when I bought it but after a good run seemed ok.

I'm relieved it was nothing too major - I guess replacing the antitheft unit may help in some cases, but before any money is spent, a good hour checking all the connections in the fuseboard is well worth it. If I've managed to resolve it then the total cost was £3 for a can of contact cleaner and £6 for a tube of silicone sealant.

Fingers crossed!