Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattling Sound - New Is 250 Sel

Sorry to hear about everyone having these rattle problems, I hope Lexus UK gets them sorted out. Luckily thus far I've been rattle free... the closest I came was hearing a strange noise when accelerating, turned out my wife had left some pens and stuff in the door pocket :duh:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is mister MOLEe these days ?

Surely he has some information on these rattles.....

and surely there are other trade contacts with info or has everybody gone to ground now that these niggles are showing up.??......

I think its a disgrace that lexus hasnt definitively sorted this out.

Its doing no good to the reputation and quite honestly should have been sorted out if the cars were tested properly before putting them on the market

So much for the best built cars in the world........I WOULD BE RIPPING MAD IF I HAD BOUGHT ONE !!!!

COME ON TRADE CONTACTS ....LETS HAVE SOME ACTION!!!!!!

CANT WE GET A LIST OF PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD WITH THIS PROBLEM AND GET A LETTER OF TO LEXUS UK

I went to hand in my Audi yesterday at Lexus Leic (My 220d arrives March). Mentioned all of this to the Business Manager. He explained that as far as he knew none had come back to the dealership with this problem, and Lexus would be monitoring these threads. I am concerned that even this problem being there, they are still rolling cars off the conveyor...I just want to know that anyone who's car is in build will have beem remedied...

He gave me loads of confidence in the marque's desire for status #1 when it comes to Customer Sat and Lexus's resolve to stamp out things like this. I am still confident that they will find/fix...so far Lexus Leic have been fantastic...best dealership I have ever dealt with (whatever marque).

A letter is a good idea...

The problem for me before I order one here is that I would like to be reassured by a statement from Lexus Manufactureing that they are addressing the problem from a production process design engineering angle!.

Its all very well for the after sales guys to try and smooth out the problems when they occur but we are given no reassurence that they are tackling the problem at ground level.

Its like theiy are putting heads in the sand .

If it was me I would tell the public that I had taken the necessary steps to fix this at production level and keep us ...the prospective customers informed.

Some of this might be temperature related to do with the thermo plastics and I suspect that none of the testing has been done in our climate conditions .cold

damp ...hot cold etc

Is there one of the board mods who can put up a sticky for people to put their names and actual fault on and contact Lexus UK to see if they will officially monitor this list and keep the board informed as to their actions to rectify!!!

who in favour???

The problem for me before I order one here is that I would like to be reassured by a statement from Lexus Manufactureing that they are addressing the problem from a production process design engineering angle!.

Its all very well for the after sales guys to try and smooth out the problems when they occur but we are given no reassurence that they are tackling the problem at ground level.

If it was me I would tell the public that I had taken the necessary steps to fix this at production level and keep us ...the prospective customers informed.

Some of this might be temperature related to do with the thermo plastics and I suspect that none of the testing has been done in our climate conditions .cold

damp ...hot cold etc

Is there one of the board mods who can put up a sticky for people to put their names and actual fault on and contact Lexus UK to see if they will officially monitor this list and keep the board informed as to their actions to rectify!!!

who in favour???

You can count me in...

I am going to test drive the IS250/IS220 next weekend, the nearest dealer is 80 miles away and I will be reluctant to place an order whilst these problems persist. Travelling that far to have rattles etc sorted out is no joke.

I would welcome some communication from Lexus that action has been or will be taken to eradicate these problems.

where are you getting your info from about testing ...(do you work for them?) and if you do why havnt they sorted out this problem ? on a car of this price?

I've driven through Death Valley to Furness Creek and test cars have passed me going in the other direction. Most other manufacturers test there as well - it pushes the air con and the cooling systems to their limits. Also, there is no evidence that this rattle is a "problem" yet - a number of owners have reported a rattle and dealers will look at each report in turn and check with Lexus to see if this is cropping up with other dealers. If it becomes obvious that there is a common theme, Lexus will issue a common fix to the problem and/or put measures in place to correct the problem in production. All vehicles go through a continuous cycle of improvement through production.

It is annoying that Lexus are so quiet on this. Where is Mr Mole...?

I do know they read these posts with some interest -

However, the problem appears to occur on some cars only; I reckon a small percentage (correct if I am wrong - I was told that Lexus Leic haven't had one back yet), and it could be affecting some earlier cars only...

Also, a call back could occur, but the brand would be maligned...I'm not sure whether Lexus will just treat this as "collatoral Damage" and just get the dealers to fix each one when reported...or apply the mod to each one whether it rattles or not when it comes in for, say a service.

I know VAG do this - they replaced various bits around the clutch assembly without telling me on my A4when it was nearly 3 years old...I saw it on the paperwork on collection...words like "Clutch Assembly Mod - Call Back", but they haden't called me for it...

As I stated earlier, I have already had a "senior dealership" assurance that if this problem exists on my car, they will bend over backwards and fix it to my satisfaction...however, those that do have a problem should be contacting the Customer Service centre in the meantime to "air" their concern if the dealer cannot fix it...

Does the "Downunder" version suffer from this rattle?

Hello Everyone

I started this thread when I bought the car, December 05. Lexus, Tunbridge Wells booked in for 2 days and said everything was sorted(they didnt have a clue as to what it was!!!). After few days, the rattle started from the dashboard and the car was booked for a week!! Lexus said they have written a report to the company and apologised for the incovenience(as you would expect).

I am sorry to hear that others have the same problem but here is where you all stand with it -

a) Lexus will not take the car back if it is just a rattle sound. they compensated me with a free 3 yrs plan and said that the comprehensive warranty is to cover issues like these...so dont expect them to take your car back for this reason!

B) I have written a letter to Lexus,( the ladies name is Gill) addressing the situation and have asked her to put in writing what Lexus will do if the rattle happens again. It has already had this problem twice, am waiting for the letter.

c) Please bear in mind that the lexus dealers have no authority over decision making - If Lexus decides, they simply follow it. Dealers hands are tied. The most a dealer can do is part exchange your car!!

d) I sought advice from the CAB and Consumer guidance, SMMT and they said that if the Company has compensated, then I simply cant refuse the car. I need to give them the benefit of the doubt.(which I did thrice!!!)

e) Lexus IS 250's also have a problem with seat belts. Apparently few complaints have been made to Lexus and they are looking into this. So the next time if your seat belts get jammed, dont be surprised. I had to wait 10 days for the seat belt to be imported from Japan!!!

I hope this helps. I had to go through a very difficult time with both lexus and the dealer, but atleast I am now happy that the car doesnt have any rattling sound - its perfect. I hope it remains the same throughout.....

Hello Everyone

I started this thread when I bought the car, December 05. Lexus, Tunbridge Wells booked in for 2 days and said everything was sorted(they didnt have a clue as to what it was!!!). After few days, the rattle started from the dashboard and the car was booked for a week!! Lexus said they have written a report to the company and apologised for the incovenience(as you would expect).

I am sorry to hear that others have the same problem but here is where you all stand with it -

a) Lexus will not take the car back if it is just a rattle sound. they compensated me with a free 3 yrs plan and said that the comprehensive warranty is to cover issues like these...so dont expect them to take your car back for this reason!

B) I have written a letter to Lexus,( the ladies name is Gill) addressing the situation and have asked her to put in writing what Lexus will do if the rattle happens again. It has already had this problem twice, am waiting for the letter.

c) Please bear in mind that the lexus dealers have no authority over decision making - If Lexus decides, they simply follow it. Dealers hands are tied. The most a dealer can do is part exchange your car!!

d) I sought advice from the CAB and Consumer guidance, SMMT and they said that if the Company has compensated, then I simply cant refuse the car. I need to give them the benefit of the doubt.(which I did thrice!!!)

e) Lexus IS 250's also have a problem with seat belts. Apparently few complaints have been made to Lexus and they are looking into this. So the next time if your seat belts get jammed, dont be surprised. I had to wait 10 days for the seat belt to be imported from Japan!!!

I hope this helps. I had to go through a very difficult time with both lexus and the dealer, but atleast I am now happy that the car doesnt have any rattling sound - its perfect. I hope it remains the same throughout.....

Did your dealer tell you what was causing the rattle and how they fixed it. My car is back at the dealers next week and they want it for 2-3days so they can take out the entire dashboard.

If you know what is causing the problem and what the fix is, I could tell my Dealer (Brighton) and it would save them (and me) and lot of hassle.

damp ...hot cold etc

who in favour???

I'm with you. Mine is getting worse every day - almost incessant rattling now.

Nobody seems to care on this board ....Im not on the comittee so I can only ask a board official to put a sticky on this subject that all you guys with this problem can list yourselves!!

can any of you with the problem tell me if this only so far seems to affect cars with multi media, or only auto's , or do any of you have the problem on manuals and/or non MM? (smae questions too but for diesel)??

Sorry to hear so many of you are getting wind noise and rattling noises from you IS250's. I have an IS250 SEL with Automatic and Multi Media and touch wood have experienced no such problems so far. My car arrived it the country in mid December, and I was wondering if the problems only affected perhaps some of the first batch to arrive. Or do Lexus build Friday cars?

Hope the dealers do the right thing and sort the cars out to your satisfaction.

oldun :driving:

can any of you with the problem tell me if this only so far seems to affect cars with multi media, or only auto's , or do any of you have the problem on manuals and/or non MM? (smae questions too but for diesel)??

Hi

Its nothing to do with the multimedia kit - I have driven almost all versions and colors of IS 250's in the last couple of months (thanks to Lexus for the rattling sound)

The dealer had a new demo which came mid december and it had the same problem - so I dont think its only with the first batch. Surprisingly, Lexus hasnt done anything abt it yet! Dealer keep telling me that they have reported it to lexus!!

The dealer had a new demo which came mid december and it had the same problem - so I dont think its only with the first batch. Surprisingly, Lexus hasnt done anything abt it yet! Dealer keep telling me that they have reported it to lexus!!

I had six test drives of at least an hour each before ordering my IS250 and no rattles. Also the dealer has only had one car returned with a rattle. This does not sound like it is as widespread as this topic would suggest. If will setup a poll. Please no cheating with multiple votes :winky:

This is unlikely to be a widespread problem. The IS owners at clublexus (representing a reasonalbe percentage of Lexus owners in the US) have not reported these sort of issues on the scale that has been suggested here.

The US has already taken delivery of thousands of the new IS model; probably more than Lexus UK hope to sell all this year, if there was a widespread problem it would show up on the US forums first. Unless of course it only affects right hand drive models; but then again Japanese owners (a comsumer market reknown for its pickiness for quality) would be outraged.

Anyway, does not compare to some of the problems brand new Audis and Mercedes go through (my mothers brand new Audi had a malfunctioning key which apparently affected a whole bunch of cars in the UK, would never unlock when asked etc). Statistically a four year old LS430 is more reliable than a brand new S-class.

I doubt that Lexus is willing to let its head earned repution for quality and reliability fritter away and are moving to rectify any such problems as a noisy dash.

I just completed a 1000k Melbourne to Sydney drive (in baking 40 degree heat no less), and have nearly 3k kms on the clock now, and still no rattles.

One thing I must say though, the climate control system is very efficient :)

I just completed a 1000k Melbourne to Sydney drive (in baking 40 degree heat no less), and have nearly 3k kms on the clock now, and still no rattles.

If only I and others on this thread had been so fortunate!

If this was merely an insignificant rattle or even an isolated incident, it wouldn't be so bad. But mine includes:

1. clicking AND creaking AND 'popping' noises from dash. The noises vary and are very noticeable when going over even the slightest depression in the road. And they are NO better when the car has warmed up either, so it's nothing to do with air temperature.

2. Intermittent (albeit quite faint) kind of 'tweeting' noise from the dash which sounds like a sparrow is stuck behind the dash, trying to escape! I also heard this on the demo car.

3. Incessant rattling noise from seatbelt pillar region - now fixed. It was something to do with the door seals. I also heard this on the demo car.

4. Wind noise from driver's window, but only at motorway speeds and (to be truthful) only when driving at speeds higher than the law would permit! I also heard this on the demo car. Of course I don't regularly drive at those sort of speeds though :whistling:

If only I and others on this thread had been so fortunate!

If this was merely an insignificant rattle or even an isolated incident, it wouldn't be so bad. But mine includes:

1. clicking AND creaking AND 'popping' noises from dash. The noises vary and are very noticeable when going over even the slightest depression in the road. And they are NO better when the car has warmed up either, so it's nothing to do with air temperature.

2. Intermittent (albeit quite faint) kind of 'tweeting' noise from the dash which sounds like a sparrow is stuck behind the dash, trying to escape! I also heard this on the demo car.

3. Incessant rattling noise from seatbelt pillar region - now fixed. It was something to do with the door seals. I also heard this on the demo car.

4. Wind noise from driver's window, but only at motorway speeds and (to be truthful) only when driving at speeds higher than the law would permit! I also heard this on the demo car. Of course I don't regularly drive at those sort of speeds though :whistling:

If you heard all the above mentioned noises in the demo car, and then bought one, perhaps the dealer had them specially installed for you on your new car. Assuming you would be dissapointed if they were missing on you new car. :shutit: :shutit:

oldun

I think at some point someone from the board/committee needs to take this up with Lex GB. I am not aware of any Aussie cars having this problem, or US ones...so is it really just the UK cars?

My local dealer was adamant that they had sold quite a few so far, and many more were being registered this month - and not a single one back for rattles... :hocus-pokus:

I did mention to them that as mine ought to be on the production line some time soon I would be angry if mine was delivered with the rattles... :zorro:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for March...hopefully no rattles... else "Jamboo" :innocent: will become "Hot Chilly" :arrrggg-matey: :devil:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links