Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Test Drive ?

scott

Title says it all really. Anyone had the chance to test drive the IS220 diesel?

I have taken the plunge and put a deposit on a 220d SE+MM in Astral Black, but have not driven it (yet).

It seems most of the motoring press have a problem with the noise and vibration levels of the diesel when accelerating hard ... can anyone confirm this ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott,

funnily enough I was promised the first test drive by Lexus Leic this week. This is because I have ordered one without actually having driven one, and the dealer did agree that I would get my money back if I was not pleased enough...

So...on Monday, I went along to the delership, and guess what? The IS220d SE/MM, in Caspian was standing there, cleaned and ready to go...

No one has called me yet...so I assume they are far too busy selling to new buyers...or it's c**p and they want to hang on to my deposit longer...

I made the conscious decision not to call them proactively. If their Cust Service is all it's cracked up to be, then I will get a call by COP today...else I will ask for my money back...

Scott,

funnily enough I was promised the first test drive by Lexus Leic this week. This is because I have ordered one without actually having driven one, and the dealer did agree that I would get my money back if I was not pleased enough...

So...on Monday, I went along to the delership, and guess what? The IS220d SE/MM, in Caspian was standing there, cleaned and ready to go...

No one has called me yet...so I assume they are far too busy selling to new buyers...or it's c**p and they want to hang on to my deposit longer...

I made the conscious decision not to call them proactively. If their Cust Service is all it's cracked up to be, then I will get a call by COP today...else I will ask for my money back...

Jamboo, which model/colour did you go for ?

I've had a call from the dealer and it arrives next Thursday, I'm not gonna get a test drive before then and have decided to go with the one I've ordered. I'm working on the basis that the fuel savings are the most important reason for buying the diesel instead of the 250. I currently have an IS300 and it uses way too much fuel. I suspect that the moto journos are doing a direct comparison with a 320d and I know that the engine is not going to match the beemers. However, if you look at the magazine ad for the Lexus Is220d they say that it is "quiet, very quiet" so I'm expecting motorway speeds to be as per the ad :)

Let me know if you manage to get a drive.

I Ordered the 220d Base with MM, Mesa red with Black cloth. I know mine is arriving 17th Feb for March 1st Delivery. The SE was in my original budget, but initially I felt it was too much to spend on Leather (ventilated and electric it might be...) and fatter wheels!

I opted for the 16" wheels 'cos there is definately less road noise (obviously with 205/16 instead of 225 and 245/17's) and the car definately rides better. In fact if they test that against any of the opposition it will win the ride/handling contest (might not win the Steering "feel" - but it's fine for me).

Having said this, I am concerned about the shiny fabric in the base model, and am seriously thinking about upping it to an SE, and live with the road noise etc. And I sippose the bum warmer might be good for my bad back... The Leather is better bolstored too.

PS Just spoke to the wife who is not best pleased...wants me to demand a test drive or we cancel... :whistling:

The SE was in my original budget, but initially I felt it was too much to spend on Leather (ventilated and electric it might be...) and fatter wheels!

I was wondering if I was the only one that thought £3k was a lot of cash for what you get. When I got my IS200 in 2001 the SE was only an extra £1500 and you got the sunroof, extra speakers etc as well.

Scott,

Let me know if you manage to get a drive.

As soon as I do I will post back...!

Ive ordered 220d SE too (Silver with Sussex) hopefully 1 March (lease cost £380 per month on 4 year 48,000 including maintenance, plus vat- cheaper than BM !! with less kit I reckon that's a great deal),

Basically decided that even if overall it wasnt as practical and fast as beemer 0-60 and top speed, that mid range will be fine and its unlikely to be worse than average. The interesting thing about the latest What Car? article is that they say the new IS is not as refined as the Honda or the Jag X Type engines. They don't mention the BM.

Some of the press comment is around the fact that it isn't what they would have expected from the exceptional standards of Lexus. For me then if its not significantly worse than the rest of the viable alternatives thats good enough - on top of which this is the car I want, the BM isn't.

Cannot run to the IS250 cost whilst still employed, so that's not an option.

Guys, good news!

My test drive is booked for 4.45pm today (can't help thinking they have read my posts... :huh: )

It's gonna be the Base model, which is what I have ordered though I am likely to be upping it to the SE (they agreed I could...).

I will try and post back tonight, and have also PM'd Steve to see if we can have a "Pinned" topic like the IS250 Test Drive one. If not, I will post back tomorrow!!

WTS :yahoo:

The SE was in my original budget, but initially I felt it was too much to spend on Leather (ventilated and electric it might be...) and fatter wheels!

I was wondering if I was the only one that thought £3k was a lot of cash for what you get. When I got my IS200 in 2001 the SE was only an extra £1500 and you got the sunroof, extra speakers etc as well.

I thought exactly the same, but decided that leather is easier to keep clean :whistling: Also, I use the heated seat all the time in the winter. Not sure about the ventilated seats as the car (and me) stays cool enough with the aircon.

Guys, good news!

My test drive is booked for 4.45pm today (can't help thinking they have read my posts... :huh: )

It's gonna be the Base model, which is what I have ordered though I am likely to be upping it to the SE (they agreed I could...).

I will try and post back tonight, and have also PM'd Steve to see if we can have a "Pinned" topic like the IS250 Test Drive one. If not, I will post back tomorrow!!

Brilliant, will you be able to test out motorway cruising speeds (70+) :whistling: for noise. I'm also interested to know if there is any pedal vibration when accelerating or going up a hill (as reported in one of the mags, cant remember which).

Can't wait to hear back :crybaby:

I thought exactly the same, but decided that leather is easier to keep clean :whistling: Also, I use the heated seat all the time in the winter. Not sure about the ventilated seats as the car (and me) stays cool enough with the aircon.

It is a slot of dosh, but when you consider that at £25oddk for an SE, you get shed loads more kit overall than the 3 series etc...so even though Lexus might make you think they are not competing with anyone else, they really really are...

Personally I think that the base is fantastic value for money...less road noise, but the cloth looks good now, but is too shiny and thin to wear well...especially in the seat squabs...

Will get another look in tonight...

Guys, good news!

Brilliant, will you be able to test out motorway cruising speeds (70+) :whistling: for noise. I'm also interested to know if there is any pedal vibration when accelerating or going up a hill (as reported in one of the mags, cant remember which).

Can't wait to hear back :crybaby:

My route will be B roads, followed by dual carriageway (A6 to Loughborough - 8 miles or so), then back through A roads (Quorndon, Mountsorrell etc) so should get a good feel...approx 45 minuts or so...

:driving:

I test drove one yesterday. It was black a SE-L 220D and had it for 2 hours so tried most conditions and in a nutshell am now convinced its the right car for me and will be ordering one next week. My observations :

1. It is very quite on the inside at pretty much all speeds. Initially you get some diesel engine noise at startup when listening on the outside. Some road surfaces were quite noisy but they are also noisy in my normal car (MB C200K) and were worse in a X-Type 2.2D that i tested recently. Simialry you can hear the engine when accelerating towards top end of revs but thats to be exepected really. Under normal driving conditions car was very quite and I'd say somewhat better then my merc and a lot better than the Jag.

2. I found it slighty jerky when going into second gear but am currently thinking thats more to do with me currentlly driving an Auto and just need to get back into manual habits. Cruising at 75 in 6th was ridiculously economical (1500rpm) so that will be handy for me. Also plenty of torque in all gears and overtaking was better than my Merc.

3. I would say that SE spec and MM are a must - SE-L if you can afford it. Seats are great (tested heated and cooling) and SatNav system is superb. The reversing camera is just fantastic!

4. All round build quality was exceptional and I really had a hard time getting used to keyless entry and start button - old habits I guess. Also I was surprised at the height of the door before it gets to the window - mush higher than other cars but it definatly helped make the car seem sporty. The 220d looks better than the photos and very much like a 2 door coupe. I

5. I have read a lot of comments about boot space and rear legroom and agree that the rear is tight if the driver or passenger are 6 ft+ (unlike me) abd the rear is not really suitable for 3 adults as the driveshaft occupies a big chunck in the centre of the rear seat. The boot is similar to my Merc so i don't really have any compalints - i tried getting in 2 sets of golf clubs which was fine so thats good enough for me.

6. The front pillars (between door and windscreen) are quite thick so visibility is a little hampered on right turns but they do contain a airbag. Similarly rear windscreen has a large slope so again visibility not brilliant - hence the need for reversing camera :-)

I have now seen most of the colours in the flesh and was very surprised to find that the one i liked best was the red - nothing like the borochure really - has to be seen. My alternative is the Slate which also stood out. In terms of interior the cream colour is too light really but grey and black are fine.

So I have taken the X-Type of my shortlist and its just down to BMW 520D and IS 220D (I hate 3series but 5 looks nice hence the comparison). I have a 520D for the weekend so will come to a conclusion on monday but its looking inevitable that it will be the lexus. My current thinking is the SE with metalic paint and MM pack.

I took one for a spin on Monday, also black SE-L. Comments based on comparisons to a 2004 320d that I currently drive.

Good Points.......

1. Concerns about engine noise mentioned in the press are rubbish, the engine is no more noisy than my 320d.

2. The seats are very good, better than the bm, but not as supportive as the S60 D5 I've also tested

3. Legroom in the front is better than the bmw (though at 6ft3 a couple of extra inches would have been nice)

4. The stereo is one of the best I've heard + has mp3 input.

5. very high levels of grip with good handling - on a par with the bm, though slightly less feedback from the wheels

6. It's not a BMW

The not so good......

1. The gearbox isn't quite as slick as my BM, although the car only had 260 miles, so mybe not loosened up yet

2. The engine didn't feel quite as fast as my bm, also had more turbo lag. The flexabillity isn't quite so good either it feels that it wants 3rd gear at 30mph rather than 4th! Again maybe this will improve when it has loosened up.

3. The ride can feel a bit bouncy on certain road surfaces.

4. With the seat right back the wide door pillar obstructs your view to the right.

5. There is some tyre noise form the 17" tyres, definitely worse than the 16" on the BM, but not as bad as the 18" wheels I had on my old 325 sport. I think I'd be tempted to go for the standard non se car and spend the money on the MM upgrade.

6. Rear legroom isn't great, although It's rubbish in the BM too.

That's my view, at the moment I'm torn between the S60 D5 (more comfortable, powerful) or the lexus (better handling, better looking).

Hope this helps

I test drove one yesterday. It was black a SE-L 220D and had it for 2 hours so tried most conditions and in a nutshell am now convinced its the right car for me and will be ordering one next week. My observations :

Thanks for posting your observations, I'm starting to feel reassured that my purchase was the right decision :)

I took one for a spin on Monday, also black SE-L. Comments based on comparisons to a 2004 320d that I currently drive.

Good Points.......

1. Concerns about engine noise mentioned in the press are rubbish, the engine is no more noisy than my 320d.

2. The seats are very good, better than the bm, but not as supportive as the S60 D5 I've also tested

3. Legroom in the front is better than the bmw (though at 6ft3 a couple of extra inches would have been nice)

4. The stereo is one of the best I've heard + has mp3 input.

5. very high levels of grip with good handling - on a par with the bm, though slightly less feedback from the wheels

6. It's not a BMW

It's looking good if it stacks up well against the 320d. Thanks for posting.

so, as expected, press was talking crap. As I posted earlier in different threads, same engine in Avensis got better review in middle class comparo in Germany than 320d - it was significantly faster in overtaking speeds plus quieter. Even Autocar tested IS220d and admitted that in 30-50mph, IS220d was over 1 sec faster than in BMW.

Give manual 3,000 miles to smooth up, as well as the engine, and it will be as sweet as they come.

IS220d engine is one of the most advanced engines in the world. It has 3rd gen common rail, special glow plugs that heat up 200C more than previous ones, most advanced d-cat that makes it the cleanest engine in the world.

OK Guys - I had my eagerly awaited test drive in a base 220d with MM in Slate with Beige cloth yesterday. The Caspian SE-L was out...:

I went with an open mind having heard the press stories, and told the salesman as we walked up to the car. He was surprised (as if he hadn't already read them- yeah - right). I was managing his expectations in case I wanted to cancel...

I purposefully did not listen to the engine from the outside...so I quickly got in...He drove off first

It was quiet, smooth, and I dunno what the others who have tested it thought, but distinctively sporty sounding...not diesel clatter at all in normal driving...

After 1/4 mile, we swapped over at filling station...and I took to the wheel. As I walked around the front, with the engine on, I could not hear it all...probably due to ambient noise in the station, road etc...good sign...I have driven loads of Diesels over 100k in 4 years, so roughly knew what is bad and what is not.

So lets start with the not so good...

1) Very slight vibration through gear stick when stationary, or travelling in first, but it's not alot....

2) When going above 3800 RPM it distinctively starts to growl...but hey, it revs to 5250 rpm, thats 850 more than my A4 PDI 130! It's the only time you get any real idea that it is a diesel...and clatterry only when you get to 4500+ RPM. But right the way through it is smooth.

3) Power delivery - well lets face it, it appears narrowish, and I think with all of that torque 6 gears are a waste!! But that could be 'cos it had 80 miles on the clock...KWIM?

4) Fuel economy - mainly dual carriageway, 20 miles and 31 MPG...can't be right...seems low...No matter how I drive the Audi, a motorway/dual carriageway = 50+ MPG!

And that's it!

Good bits:

1) As mentioned above, the engine actually sounds a lot better than the 250 V6 IMHO, it is smooth - smoother than the Honda I thought - and sounds sporty as you accelerate - infact in the Sport version this would be wicked! As Haf mentioned, you could be sitting on the motorway at 70 mph, with your cruise on at 1500 rpm, and you cannot hear the engine at all...it's so quiet.

3-4 times I realised I was doing 80 and had to slow down...then I started using the cruise...

I would love to see a head to head with a 250 - I though it was almost as quick off the mark, but definately quicker through the gears (with all that torque).

2) It pulls very cleanly - in fact deceptively quickly...far better then the 320d...!

3) Complaints of a notchy gearbox - not a chance - the one I drove was spectacularly precise (as was the IS250 manual I drove).

So compared to competition - NVH - well the 320d engine I drove was the bench mark... :sick: and still is in some ways - but only towards the top end...the others purely make up the numbers. In normal driving, the IS220d is fab - actually better than the 320d.

The Toyota engine is the most advanced, all alloy etc, and over all car wise the IS gets the vote, again IMHO. You barely need to go into what I call the Red zone - i.e. when you can hear it scream, cos it's so power full anyway...

So did I cancel? Absolutely not - infact we did "up" it to the SE with MM.

So mine is now due to land Mid March - IS220d SE Mesa Red, MM, Black Leather (hope you guys approve). My original car :blush: (220d Base, Mesa/Black cloth +MM) is still coming if anyone is interested - contact Lexus Leic...!!

Can't wait! :yahoo:

The IS220d gets the vote from me. :driving:

As mentioned before, I have driven the lot of them in this price range - and the C220CDI was the worst, then the Jag, the Honda, Audi A4, Passatt, 320d in that order from worst to best...!

Oh, the IS at the top :driving: !

Guys - forgot to add - some people have complained that the IS250 is so cossetting that it somehow disengages you from the real world...it cocoons you.

The IS220d makes up for that with that gloriously sporty sounding engine...no big boy exhausts needed - just drive one and you'll see!

The "dead in a straight line" steering is not a problem for me...My A4 was deader still!

OK Guys - I had my eagerly awaited test drive in a base 220d with MM in Slate with Beige cloth yesterday. The Caspian SE-L was out...:

I went with an open mind having heard the press stories, and told the salesman as we walked up to the car. He was surprised (as if he hadn't already read them- yeah - right). I was managing his expectations in case I wanted to cancel...

I purposefully did not listen to the engine from the outside...so I quickly got in...He drove off first

It was quiet, smooth, and I dunno what the others who have tested it thought, but distinctively sporty sounding...not diesel clatter at all in normal driving...

After 1/4 mile, we swapped over at filling station...and I took to the wheel. As I walked around the front, with the engine on, I could not hear it all...probably due to ambient noise in the station, road etc...good sign...I have driven loads of Diesels over 100k in 4 years, so roughly knew what is bad and what is not.

So lets start with the not so good...

1) Very slight vibration through gear stick when stationary, or travelling in first, but it's not alot....

2) When going above 3800 RPM it distinctively starts to growl...but hey, it revs to 5250 rpm, thats 850 more than my A4 PDI 130! It's the only time you get any real idea that it is a diesel...and clatterry only when you get to 4500+ RPM. But right the way through it is smooth.

3) Power delivery - well lets face it, it appears narrowish, and I think with all of that torque 6 gears are a waste!! But that could be 'cos it had 80 miles on the clock...KWIM?

4) Fuel economy - mainly dual carriageway, 20 miles and 31 MPG...can't be right...seems low...No matter how I drive the Audi, a motorway/dual carriageway = 50+ MPG!

And that's it!

Good bits:

1) As mentioned above, the engine actually sounds a lot better than the 250 V6 IMHO, it is smooth - smoother than the Honda I thought - and sounds sporty as you accelerate - infact in the Sport version this would be wicked! As Haf mentioned, you could be sitting on the motorway at 70 mph, with your cruise on at 1500 rpm, and you cannot hear the engine at all...it's so quiet.

3-4 times I realised I was doing 80 and had to slow down...then I started using the cruise...

I would love to see a head to head with a 250 - I though it was almost as quick off the mark, but definately quicker through the gears (with all that torque).

2) It pulls very cleanly - in fact deceptively quickly...far better then the 320d...!

3) Complaints of a notchy gearbox - not a chance - the one I drove was spectacularly precise (as was the IS250 manual I drove).

So compared to competition - NVH - well the 320d engine I drove was the bench mark... :sick: and still is in some ways - but only towards the top end...the others purely make up the numbers. In normal driving, the IS220d is fab - actually better than the 320d.

The Toyota engine is the most advanced, all alloy etc, and over all car wise the IS gets the vote, again IMHO. You barely need to go into what I call the Red zone - i.e. when you can hear it scream, cos it's so power full anyway...

So did I cancel? Absolutely not - infact we did "up" it to the SE with MM.

So mine is now due to land Mid March - IS220d SE Mesa Red, MM, Black Leather (hope you guys approve).

Can't wait! :yahoo:

The IS220d gets the vote from me.

As mentioned before, I have driven the lot of them in this price range - and the C220CDI was the worst, then the Jag, the Honda, Audi A4, Passatt, 320d in that order from worst to best...!

Oh, the IS at the top :driving: !

Jamboo, good report, glad you liked the car and congrats on going for the SE :). I'm much less aprehensive about buying a car I haven't driven, now can't wait to get mine, which should be next thursday :) :) :)

I doubt very much that you will be disappointed - just let us all know and gloat when you get yours - make sure you fire some pictures in too!!

PS just found this vid:

http://www.dailymotion.com/tag/220d/video/12131

Spot the :tsktsk: mistakes - note it is being touted as a IS220D Test Drive :blink:

Well - the Tacho states you can rev to 6500rpm, Auto box....but then he's not from the UK... :huh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links