Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Test Drive ?

scott

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I just test drove the IS250(SE-L with MM) and 220d(SE) today, the dealer was more excited about me comparing the two then i was! Was given the 250 to take away for a few hours!! I lovvveed it, takes my current IS to next level. I have to say I did not find such a difference with accelerating compared to the 200, but may be that’s just me!! But otherwise was amazing. so many gadgets, the MM system is just soo good, its great... so many functions! I personally can’t imagine the car with out it, it’s just so practical and contributes to the car so well.

The 220d did not have the MM, The drive on 220d was very good, having not driven a manual for a while, I was loving it!! have to agree with most of the other posts, its not noisy....well u can hear it 1st gear, and if your standing outside if the engine is running. The 220 accelerates well. I recently drove a 5G golf TDi, and that was noisy and crackly!! IS good in comparison.

I want a IS250SE-L with MM (have to have the xenons, mem seats ect).

The dealer had left a Michael Jackson DVD in the car, my m8 tried it out and the quality was really good.

I cant wait to get one! :D :D

post-1687-1136578272.jpg

post-1687-1136578329.jpg

I doubt very much that you will be disappointed - just let us all know and gloat when you get yours - make sure you fire some pictures in too!!

PS just found this vid:

http://www.dailymotion.com/tag/220d/video/12131

Spot the  :tsktsk: mistakes - note it is being touted as a IS220D Test Drive :blink:

Well - the Tacho states you can rev to 6500rpm, Auto box....but then he's not from the UK... :huh:

Wow filming and driving at the same time - how safe is that! :duh: He did the say the car schweet!

Guys,

The engine is very good and I preferred it over the V6 2.5 - some how the "throaty" thrum and slight "feel" through the pedals and gearstick make it more engaging...

Any one else had a go since these posts?

Dunno how old this article is, but it's findings were just like mine....for a journo, this is probably the best article to date!

Incase you can't get to it....:

"Anything you can do I can do better. That's the maxim that Lexus has aimed to live by since its arrival in the UK in 1990. Since then it has closely rivalled - but not quite beaten - the best built, most refined and most desirable European saloons. But there's one thing it has always lacked: a diesel engine.

Thankfully, that's set to change. With the all-new IS saloon, Lexus's engineers have had to get their hands dirty and developed the firm's first oil-burning powerplant.

Producing 175bhp and 295Ib ft of torque, the 2.2-litre four-cylinder unit aims to dent the domination of German diesel giants with a blend of performance and economy, but does it live up to the Japanese firm's legendary reputation for refinement?

As soon as you press the start button it's clear that Lexus hasn't forgotten what it is that makes its cars special. Considering what's in the fuel tank, the engine is incredibly quiet - it's hard to tell you are travelling in a diesel-powered car at any time other than when it's at full throttle.

Unlike some rivals, the Lexus's power delivery is relatively even once you've found it, but there is precious little thrust below 2,000rpm or above 4,000rpm, when a neat 'change up' light illuminates within the rev counter. Official figures claim 0-62mph takes 8.9 seconds, but in real-world conditions it's clear that the engine is more suited to cruising than flat-out acceleration.

The same is true of the saloon's dynamic set-up, which provides nimble handling but lacks the sharp steering and agility of a 3-Series. A Sport version will arrive in April and should offer a sharper drive.

The only transmission on offer for diesel buyers is a six-speed manual - Lexus claims there isn't a strong enough demand for a diesel auto to make it worthwhile building one. The shift is at its worst when rushed, but it's smooth and has a tall sixth ratio for frugal cruising.

That helps the IS 220d post a stunning fuel consumption of 44.8mpg and CO2 emissions of 168g/km. For the first time Lexus has a compact executive saloon that is a viable choice for business and fleet customers.

However, it's not cheap. While prices start at £22,200 for the entry-level IS 220d, pitching it directly at BMW's 320d, the luxuriously equipped flagship model will set you back £27,800. Let the company car wars begin...

Words/Pictures: Chris Thorp/Pete Gibson

DATA BANK

Models driven Lexus IS 220d SE-L

Engine 2,231cc 4-cyl turbodiesel, 175bhp, 295lb ft

Transmission 6-spd manual, rwd

Performance 0-62mph in 8.9secs, max speed 134mph

Fuel economy 44.8mpg (combined)

CO2/tax 168/km / 23%

Key rivals BMW 320d, Mercedes C320, Audi A4 2.0 TDI

FIRST DRIVE OPINION...

Middle of the Road

FOR: engine's refinement and economy; comfort; quality AGAINST: no auto option; doesn't feel as fast as it should

SEND TO MOBILE

COMMENT

EMAIL A FRIEND

ADD TO SCRAPBOOK

RELATED ARTICLES

Comments: 0 "

Customer Owned IS250/220's seen on the road = 3 (though one of those might have been seen twice)(KWIM?)

And another Naff review from uncle SAM!

http://www.autozine.org/html/Toyota/IS.html

Have you read the FAQ on that site, here's an excerpt!:

"

Q: 4 years since I read your AutoZine, are you still not having a car ?

A: Yes. I can afford a decent new hatchback now, but I think my priority should be buying a house first, as it is the basic need for my family. As I've mentioned, taking public transport here is more convenient than driving.

Q: So, do you really like driving ?

A: Obviously not in Hong Kong. The traffic congestion in metro makes driving disgusting; smooth highway always have speed cameras; country roads are poorly designed thus risky to go fast. Sometimes I think the guys driving GT-R or WRX here are crazy (sorry if you're one of them).

Q: You does not work in automotive field. You even don't drive. You are not qualified for writing about cars.

A: Well, read my news and reports and make your own judgement. Do you know some soccer coaches do not play soccer ?

"

Nice one Alpine ... :lol: It's a crazy site!!

Mind you there are 3.5 million people who think they could make a better job of running the England football team than Mr Erikson...none of them play soccer...so he could be right!

Scott - R U still getting yours tomorrow?

Let us know how your wheels are and what you think of that 220d!!! Post some pics if you can - I am eagerly watching this space!

And another Naff review from uncle SAM!

http://www.autozine.org/html/Toyota/IS.html

Have you read the FAQ on that site, here's an excerpt!:

"

Q: 4 years since I read your AutoZine, are you still not having a car ?

A: Yes. I can afford a decent new hatchback now, but I think my priority should be buying a house first, as it is the basic need for my family. As I've mentioned, taking public transport here is more convenient than driving.

Q: So, do you really like driving ?

A: Obviously not in Hong Kong. The traffic congestion in metro makes driving disgusting; smooth highway always have speed cameras; country roads are poorly designed thus risky to go fast. Sometimes I think the guys driving GT-R or WRX here are crazy (sorry if you're one of them).

Q: You does not work in automotive field. You even don't drive. You are not qualified for writing about cars.

A: Well, read my news and reports and make your own judgement. Do you know some soccer coaches do not play soccer ?

"

so he basically reads over few reports and then "makes up" his own? lol.

Nice one Alpine ... :lol: It's a crazy site!!

Mind you there are 3.5 million people who think they could make a better job of running the England football team than Mr Erikson...none of them play soccer...so he could be right!

Scott - R U still getting yours tomorrow?

Let us know how your wheels are and what you think of that 220d!!! Post some pics if you can - I am eagerly watching this space!

Hmmmmm :angry: Car's ready for collection tomorrow, but, my insurance company (Tesco who I recommended on a previous thread :angry::angry: ) have failed THREE times to send Lexus Poole an appropriate schedule that is required to transfer my plate.

1st Time : certificate but no schedule.

2nd Time : schedule never arrived.

3rd Time : schedule arrived but it was for my current car, IS300.

I rang them today, and guess what, they had the new car down as an IS200 SportsCross (no such varient). They tried to enter an IS220d but it was rejected (computer says NO, cough) so they went back to the underwriters!! This was exactly the same loop I went through LAST week!! So it now looks like I'll pick it up sometime next week, dependant on Tesco and DVLA.

Scratch Tesco off your insurance list guys. What does a grocer know about car insurance anyway ? :angry:

When I eventually get it I'll post pics and report :)

some how the "throaty" thrum and slight "feel" through the pedals and gearstick make it more engaging...

Similar quote from the sales guy at Lexus Poole who drove the 220d for the first time last week. Said it sounded more sporty that the IS250 and felt quicker through the gears, but with a slight bit of noise and vibration when going up a hill if in wrong gear.

Anyone know what the 30-50, 50-70 times are for the IS250. Would be interesting to compare with the 220d ?

Am sooooo gutted for you....

Like you say, let grocers be grocers....

Hope it works out for the best...

Thanks Jamboo. Got to start counting down the days again. Dunno how you're managing to wait until March... I'm evan driving my IS300 very carefully in case I prang it. Knowing Tesco I'm probably not insured anymore anyway :unsure:

Errr.... What about the 7 days free Insurance that you get when you purchase a new Lexus? (With Norwich Union) ??

Just take advantage of that and then you have 7 days to faff about with Insurance Companies !!

I have ordered a new GS and take delivery on March the 1st. I have a private plate to go onto it and so enquired how soon they would need my Insurance details before 1st March to complete the transfer.

'Don't worry - was the reply, you get 7 days free Insurance when you pick up the car anyway !!

Were you not told this???

The Ed

Errr.... What about the 7 days free Insurance that you get when you purchase a new Lexus? (With Norwich Union) ??

Just take advantage of that and then you have 7 days to faff about with Insurance Companies !!

The Ed

Ed, thanks for the tip. Insurance isn't a problem, it's the insurance schedule that is needed by the DVLA for the private number transfer from my current car. Didn't know about the freebie though, Lexus keep it quiet!

The Ed

Ed, thanks for the tip. Insurance isn't a problem, it's the insurance schedule that is needed by the DVLA for the private number transfer from my current car. Didn't know about the freebie though, Lexus keep it quiet!

Ahhh.. sorry. Wrong end of the stick. I left my old plate on my old car that I traded before Christmas so I don't need to worry about DVLA transfer as it's a new plate going on the new car, but yes you're right you will need your details of your old car to swap them over. There's nothing worse than getting all psyched up to go pick up a new toy and then your scuppered at the last minute and made to wait a bit longer !! :tsktsk: Good luck

The Ed

Guys,

believe me - waiting until March is like..... :sick: I did not know about the freebie insurance...they are keeping that close to the chest...?

Anyway, I hope all turns out OK for next week. Good Luck...and start shopping at ASDA!

PS - My IS220d/MM Base was coming 1st March, but 'cos we change the spec to SE/MM, it could be later in March (Date TBA). So it's like waiting for a Baby!! The only good thing is that with the Lexus there won't be feeding bottles, disturbed sleep :sleeping: , the emissions will be cleaner....and it'll be cheaper to run! :yahoo:

Title says it all really. Anyone had the chance to test drive the IS220 diesel?

I have taken the plunge and put a deposit on a 220d SE+MM in Astral Black, but have not driven it (yet).

It seems most of the motoring press have a problem with the noise and vibration levels of the diesel when accelerating hard ... can anyone confirm this ?

Well ... I'm now the proud owner of an Is220d :) :) :)

I'll post some pics at the weekend once I get some light.

Initial thoughts ...

* Fantastic build quality, the cabin is the next level up from my IS300.

* MM awsome, definately worth the extra.

* Touch screen great, makes using the MM a breeze.

* Optitron instruments with the start-up sequence - I could watch this all day.

* Stereo really loud with no distortion.

* Sat Nav excellent - love the small details like the petrol station icons displaying the logos e.g. shell, esso etc

* Compass screen is nice.

* Memory points on the map look interesting. You can basically register speed cameras (up to 106) and have the system sound a chime as you approach.

* Post code navigation.

* At last ... illuminated leccy window switches :)

* Small details like the illumination on the air vents so you can see how open/closed they are.

* Very comfy seats in front.

* Like the rear centre armrest with the integrated console/cup holders.

* Bluetooth phone - paired with my Motorola RAZR no problem - can't figure out how to transfer my phone book though.

Engine

* Some very slight diesel clatter at idle (inside).

* Very quite once you get going. (Quieter than my IS300 once above 60 and in sixth gear - very impressed).

* Seems pretty nippy ... I was amazed at how quick the amber warning ring kept comming on at 70. It didn't seem like I was doing 70.

* No wind noise.

* Mostly quiet tyre noise except for poor road surfaces.

* Didn't take up above 4000 RPM so can't comment on boominess. I didn't hear anything during my drive home.

* Very slight vibration through gear box when caught in wrong gear. You have to work the gearbox alot between 2nd/3rd in start/stop traffic - remember I'm used to an automatic though :whistling:

And ...

NO RATTLES WHATSOEVER (yet :D )

Title says it all really. Anyone had the chance to test drive the IS220 diesel?

I have taken the plunge and put a deposit on a 220d SE+MM in Astral Black, but have not driven it (yet).

It seems most of the motoring press have a problem with the noise and vibration levels of the diesel when accelerating hard ... can anyone confirm this ?

Well ... I'm now the proud owner of an Is220d :) :) :)

I'll post some pics at the weekend once I get some light.

Initial thoughts ...

* Fantastic build quality, the cabin is the next level up from my IS300.

* MM awsome, definately worth the extra.

* Touch screen great, makes using the MM a breeze.

* Optitron instruments with the start-up sequence - I could watch this all day.

* Stereo really loud with no distortion.

* Sat Nav excellent - love the small details like the petrol station icons displaying the logos e.g. shell, esso etc

* Compass screen is nice.

* Memory points on the map look interesting. You can basically register speed cameras (up to 106) and have the system sound a chime as you approach.

* Post code navigation.

* At last ... illuminated leccy window switches :)

* Small details like the illumination on the air vents so you can see how open/closed they are.

* Very comfy seats in front.

* Like the rear centre armrest with the integrated console/cup holders.

* Bluetooth phone - paired with my Motorola RAZR no problem - can't figure out how to transfer my phone book though.

Engine

* Some very slight diesel clatter at idle (inside).

* Very quite once you get going. (Quieter than my IS300 once above 60 and in sixth gear - very impressed).

* Seems pretty nippy ... I was amazed at how quick the amber warning ring kept comming on at 70. It didn't seem like I was doing 70.

* No wind noise.

* Mostly quiet tyre noise except for poor road surfaces.

* Didn't take up above 4000 RPM so can't comment on boominess. I didn't hear anything during my drive home.

* Very slight vibration through gear box when caught in wrong gear. You have to work the gearbox alot between 2nd/3rd in start/stop traffic - remember I'm used to an automatic though :whistling:

And ...

NO RATTLES WHATSOEVER (yet :D )

Fandabidosy!!! well done mate - I'm sooooo jealous...March...!

Fandabidosy!!! well done mate - I'm sooooo jealous...March...!

Cheers Jamboo - you're be really pleased when you get yours. Just make sure you get all the insurance docs to the dealer in good time.

Lexus Poole were really good and chucked in rubber mats :whistling: , Lexus Teddy, Golf umbrella and a bunch of flowers for the missus, all on top of the £550 discount.

New to the forum and interested in the IS220d. Just read the review on The new IS and according to them there is a notable difference between the base and sport version of the 220d due to different final gear ratios. Does anyone that have tried the base 220d have any comments on this? Unfortunately I will not be able to the car myself for another couple of months as the 220d is not released in Sweden until the end of February...

New to the forum and interested in the IS220d. Just read the review on The new IS and according to them there is a notable difference between the base and sport version of the 220d due to different final gear ratios. Does anyone that have tried the base 220d have any comments on this? Unfortunately I will not be able to the car myself for another couple of months as the 220d is not released in Sweden until the end of February...

Oreo, I have the non-sport version and have not driven the sport version so I cant really compare. I'd expect the sport version to offer different gearing and therefore a different, more sporty, driving experience. However, I suspect fuel economy wont be so good.

I got the non-sport version to maximise the fuel economy, having come from an IS300 which was nice and sporty but not so good on the money.

However, the non-sport version still feels swift, albeit with a narrower power band.

I am on the brink of ordering a 220d and have had one all this week on test. I've done about 500 miles and really can't fault very much. excellent quality all round (MM is a must). I have a couple of observations though

1. Initially i did a mix of city/motorway driving and drove somewhat aggressively. I found i was getting an average around 32mpg. I then did a long motorway trip of 200 miles mostly cruising in 6th at 75-80mpg and was disapointed to get 44mpg whereas i was expecting over 50mpg. I have to add that this was a new 220d with a 300 miles on it so maybe the engine gets more efficient with use?

2. I miss a couple of minor features from my mercedes. firstly in the merc the doors lock automatically when you get to 15mph. I found this really useful as i often have a laptop and stuff on my back seat etc as well as risk of getting car-jacked. secondly when you release the boot on the merc it opens fully and there is a litltle internal handle that you can use to close it to save your hands getting dirty/wet. On the lexus the boot opened about 1cm and i had to lift it from the lip and had to shut from the main body. As I said very minor but i must have got used to having these.

Just thinking about colours at the moment... Mesa red is my favourite. Order will be 220D with MM

I am on the brink of ordering a 220d and have had one all this week on test. I've done about 500 miles and really can't fault very much. excellent quality all round (MM is a must). I have a couple of observations though

1. Initially i did a mix of city/motorway driving and drove somewhat aggressively. I found i was getting an average around 32mpg. I then did a long motorway trip of 200 miles mostly cruising in 6th at 75-80mpg and was disapointed to get 44mpg whereas i was expecting over 50mpg. I have to add that this was a new 220d with a 300 miles on it so maybe the engine gets more efficient with use?

2. I miss a couple of minor features from my mercedes. firstly in the merc the doors lock automatically when you get to 15mph. I found this really useful as i often have a laptop and stuff on my back seat etc as well as risk of getting car-jacked. secondly when you release the boot on the merc it opens fully and there is a litltle internal handle that you can use to close it to save your hands getting dirty/wet. On the lexus the boot opened about 1cm and i had to lift it from the lip and had to shut from the main body. As I said very minor but i must have got used to having these.

Just thinking about colours at the moment... Mesa red is my favourite. Order will be 220D with MM

Hi Haf,

You've driven further than me in a 220d. i've done 160 miles (mostly m-way) in mine and am averaging 35 mpg, I'm hoping to get this up to upper 40s.

Regards the handle, there is an internal handle for the boot, right hand side if memory serves me correctly. Also, mine opens about half way when I press the remote or internal button.

Mesa red is nice, although I went for black with black leather in the end. Good luck with your order.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links