Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250: Overhead Console

Just translated the Sunglass Holder description from Japanese to English online at Babel Fish.

"You replace with the ashtray section which includes the cigar socket, it is the case of this leather specification. When the depth adjustment is possible with main leather make parition plate of attachment, sets to sublevel the inside of the tray dividing into the top and bottom, 2 sunglasses and the like it is possible to supply. In addition, if you spread in the tray base, it becomes the receipt space of bigger capacity."

:o :o :o :o

Not sure id be able to spread myself in the tray base, but hey, I'll take two please :D

This is just hilarious! :P

Thank you so much for info, Bartkat and TonyDownUnder!

Well..hmm I have a couple of RayBans actually, that did not fit into a similar compartment in a Hyundai Sonata, so maybe my search for the overhead compartment is in vain :blush:

I tried localizing the part with the TIS web page, but couldn't find it :huh:

I have no need for an ashtray, so replacing that with a compartment of some kind - sunglass or not - sounds great!

/Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Contact Lexus Sewell in texas, there always willing to help

I'm in Texas at the mo, I'll call in to Lexus and have a look/get part number/check availability.

Hey, that sounds great!

Let us know what you find out... :)

Sorry to have taken so long...called into the Westside Lexus dealership here in Houston today, but the salesman wasn't too helpful re. part numbers of the sunglasses compartment. If the UK IS250 has the hinge slots under that blanking plate it should be an easy retrofit, if not then it's not going to be worth changing the whole top unit!! Is anyone brave enough to look under their blanking plate or do I have to wait until I get home next week-end?

I'm in Texas at the mo, I'll call in to Lexus and have a look/get part number/check availability.

Hey, that sounds great!

Sorry to have taken so long...called into the Westside Lexus dealership here in Houston today, but the salesman wasn't too helpful re. part numbers of the sunglasses compartment. If the UK IS250 has the hinge slots under that blanking plate it should be an easy retrofit, if not then it's not going to be worth changing the whole top unit!! Is anyone brave enough to look under their blanking plate or do I have to wait until I get home next week-end?

Apparently no one wanted to look under the panel then?? I returned to the Houston dealer (Westside Lexus) and visited their rather plush spares department. Richard, the guy behind the desk was very helpful and gave me access their on-line parts catalogue. End result? The sunglass console can be changed but only with the lighting unit and the downside is the unit cost is over 800 bucks (around £470)! Think I'll leave mine as it is... Also explored the suggested replacement of the ashtray and cig lighter with a deeper storage compartment, but although it's featured on other models we couldn't find it for the IS :(

Hey, that sounds great!

Apparently no one wanted to look under the panel then?? I returned to the Houston dealer (Westside Lexus) and visited their rather plush spares department. Richard, the guy behind the desk was very helpful and gave me access their on-line parts catalogue. End result? The sunglass console can be changed but only with the lighting unit and the downside is the unit cost is over 800 bucks (around £470)! Think I'll leave mine as it is... Also explored the suggested replacement of the ashtray and cig lighter with a deeper storage compartment, but although it's featured on other models we couldn't find it for the IS :(

Tango, thanks for doing the investigation. It's a shame we cant just pop open the blanking plate and install the overhead console.

Wonder why they left it out in the first place ... they probably though we don't get enough sun for sun glasses in the uk B)

My dealer explained that the problem is that the console is too small for the bulkier and very expensive sunglasses, so Lexus decided not to include it in other markets such as UK and Australia.

I am investigating the Japanese version which fits in the ash tray. If it is possible to get some I will start a topic.

My dealer explained that the problem is that the console is too small for the bulkier and very expensive sunglasses, so Lexus decided not to include it in other markets such as UK and Australia.

I am investigating the Japanese version which fits in the ash tray. If it is possible to get some I will start a topic.

Good luck..I know it doesn't feature in the US parts catalogue...yet! Don't know why they fit a cigar lighter and ash tray anymore on a new car. Must be a falling demand and I would have thought smoking whilst driving was more of a hazard than holding a mobile :duh:

Well peeps I returned home and had a fiddle with the so called blanking plate, and guess what...it's hinged from the front-just like the glasses holder B). However, it's got a large lump of electronics screwed to the hinge down bit. Looks like it may be something to do with the Satnav? Anyone know? This rules out a retro fit of a sunglasses hold in that position unless the gizmo can be fitted elsewhere, may also explain why the holder was not fitted, but then where does the gizmo fit in the models that do have it?

Will post a photograph tomorrow when I can take a shot in daylight.

Well peeps I returned home and had a fiddle with the so called blanking plate, and guess what...it's hinged from the front-just like the glasses holder B). However, it's got a large lump of electronics screwed to the hinge down bit. Looks like it may be something to do with the Satnav? Anyone know? This rules out a retro fit of a sunglasses hold in that position unless the gizmo can be fitted elsewhere, may also explain why the holder was not fitted, but then where does the gizmo fit in the models that do have it?

Will post a photograph tomorrow when I can take a shot in daylight.

Nothing to do with the satnav then....but all to do with anti-theft??

• 5 months later...

I want to try and ressurect this topic - I've just bought an IS220 and I can't beleive it's not got a sunglass compartment as standard. Has anyone in the UK successfully replaced the blanking panel in the overhead console for a sunglass holder, or is there some electronics buried behind the blanking plate?

I want to try and ressurect this topic - I've just bought an IS220 and I can't beleive it's not got a sunglass compartment as standard. Has anyone in the UK successfully replaced the blanking panel in the overhead console for a sunglass holder, or is there some electronics buried behind the blanking plate?

Has previously explained (and I did photograph it but have since deleted from the server) my SE-L has a sensor screwed to the flip down panel. If you lever down the back edge it will rotate around the front edge, just like the USA sunglasses compartment.

I also posted the retro fit storage compartment conversion for the ash tray, which is available, but no-one seemed interested. :duh:

Now that I have a car like this I'm interested...

Sounds like a good thing, as I'm constantly shoving my sunglasses B) in the arm rest, really fiddly!!

The GPS aerial could be like the one in some cars now - wired into the top of the front screen (unless as usual I'm talking cac and the aerial is somewhere else...)

Sounds like a good thing, as I'm constantly shoving my sunglasses B) in the arm rest, really fiddly!!

The GPS aerial could be like the one in some cars now - wired into the top of the front screen (unless as usual I'm talking cac and the aerial is somewhere else...)

It says very specifically 'Theft warning sensor' and takes up most of the unit.

I would post the piccies back up but I'm still getting the 'no uploads permission' or similar...Scarface/Steve, I thought this was tempoary while some security issues were being sorted??? :angry:

It says very specifically 'Theft warning sensor' and takes up most of the unit.

I would post the piccies back up but I'm still getting the 'no uploads permission' or similar...Scarface/Steve, I thought this was tempoary while some security issues were being sorted??? :angry:

If the flip down console has a bit of anti theft kit in it, the ashtray thingy sounds useful. I wonder if sunglasses would fit there???? Photos and part number might be useful...

My old car had loads of little storage places and you really miss them when you don't have them!

I wonder if anyone will release an aftermarket sunglass holder to replace the drivers side grab handle. After all it's a bit pointless grabbing it when going round corners!

I asked my dealer about the ashtray replacement sunglass holder yesterday - he said that he couldn't order that part - it's for the US market. He would however fit it if I could get my hands on one. Is this normal? Can anyone tell me the part number? I would probably fit it myself....

I asked my dealer about the ashtray replacement sunglass holder yesterday - he said that he couldn't order that part - it's for the US market. He would however fit it if I could get my hands on one. Is this normal? Can anyone tell me the part number? I would probably fit it myself....

It's $185 :o ...that's £103 in real money....go look in www.L-TUNEDPARTS.com

Think I'd sooner sit on my Raybans....and have a look at the price of the GS LED replacement bulbs,,are they taking the pi$$ or what?

Good luck..I know it doesn't feature in the US parts catalogue...yet! Don't know why they fit a cigar lighter and ash tray anymore on a new car. Must be a falling demand and I would have thought smoking whilst driving was more of a hazard than holding a mobile :duh:

The ashtray is a bit pointless, all the smokers I know usually open the window to flick ash outside. But the lighter is essentual - phone chargers, standalone sat-navs (eg TomTom) plus a vast array of other accessories all need the power socket.

Mike

But the lighter is essentual - phone chargers, standalone sat-navs (eg TomTom) plus a vast array of other accessories all need the power socket.

In the new IS there's a socket under the armrest as well, although it won't allow some plugs to close the armrest down. So the one in the ashtray can be disposed of ( if required ).

It's $185 :o ...that's £103 in real money....go look in www.L-TUNEDPARTS.com

Think I'd sooner sit on my Raybans....and have a look at the price of the GS LED replacement bulbs,,are they taking the pi$$ or what?

...and as fashion changes and more and more people are going for the "Bug eyed" aviator glasses would they even fit?

Totally pointless at that price!!

Anyway, I have resorted to leaving my shades in the armrest, which is now full. It's a shame the IS doesn't have that much storage space in the front.

Anyway, I have resorted to leaving my shades in the armrest, which is now full. It's a shame the IS doesn't have that much storage space in the front.

Speaking of storage space ... does anyones owner manual fit in the glove box in the designated manual slot ? My protrudes about half an inch over the edge of the glovebox.

The reason I ask is that I have a new rattle :whistling: . This one goes away if I open the glovebox, and what I've found if that the owners manual forces the glovebox lid away from its natural close position - the glovebox closes but there is force on the latch caused by the owners manual which is larger than the storage space. I haven't yet investigated which part of the glovebox is rattling.

...and as fashion changes and more and more people are going for the "Bug eyed" aviator glasses would they even fit?

You mean my original Rayban Aviators are back in fashion!! :D Guess it was only a matter of time..now where's that kipper tie :sick:

You mean my original Rayban Aviators are back in fashion!! :D Guess it was only a matter of time..now where's that kipper tie :sick:

aviator0cg.jpg

:lol: I used to look like that in the Eightees with my Afro! It's not me, honest

aviator0cg.jpg

:lol: I used to look like that in the Eightees with my Afro! It's not me, honest

Never mind the eighties I look like that now :ohmy: ! Keep a style long enough and like Tango says they always come back! :P