Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mark2 Gs300 Interior Noise Levels

Hi all

I have a problem

can any experts out there tell me the noise levels in the interior of a 2004 mk 2 gs300 readings in Db (B) would be excellent.

any other comments on interior noise in this model would be very welcome.

What kind of speed? What kind of Road? What kind of tires? All these affect the noise...

I mean it is extremely quiet, except for wind noise. Seems eerie when doing motorway speeds and all you can hear is wind and nothing else. Wind Noise isn't all that loud either, can't imagine what the LS is like if the GS is this quiet.

What kind of speed? What kind of Road? What kind of tires? All these affect the noise...

I mean it is extremely quiet, except for wind noise. Seems eerie when doing motorway speeds and all you can hear is wind and nothing else. Wind Noise isn't all that loud either, can't imagine what the LS is like if the GS is this quiet.

My GS300 has had this noise problem almost from new it is coming to the stage where it is affecting my driving and health. A serious problem I think you will agree.

To answer your question.

The car is fitted with 17 inch rims with low profile tyres.

The noise is heard at different speeds and increasing in intensity as speed increases. Road noise accepted as the explanation. The Amount of road noise in vehicle is not accepted.

A high pitch noise is heard at various speeds. Sounds like a jet engine. The only time I want to hear this type of noise is when I am going on holidays to a warmer climate.

The third noise I have in my luxury car is a heavy breaking sound when the breaks are applied.

My Lexus dealer replaced the break discs and pads in an attempt to resolve the problem. This attempt was a failure

My Lexus dealer replaced my 17 inch rims with 16 inch rims fitted with standard tyres in an attempt to reduce road noise. This attempt was successful

I replaced the tyres on my 17 inch rims with a different make and compound tyre. This also failed to reduce the amount of road noise heard in the vehicle.

The problem I have now is that Lexus is stating that the noise I have in my luxury car is normal. ??????????????? I think not

Any comments

Hi,

Id go back to the dealers and ask one of the mechanics to come out for a drive with you so can explain the noise and let them hear it for them selfs.Like skeet says there is wind noise more in my mk1 GS300 than in my old mk1/series1 LS400 at motorway speed,ive read the mk2 GS has wind noise but the jet engine sound you talk of just does not sound normal :crying:

The road surface does play a big part in road noise eg concrete roads will give alot of road noise.

Where does the noise seem to come from the rear of the car or front,get someone to sit in the back seat and listen when you go for a drive...could be a wheel bearing worn?

Cheers chips.

Had a look at parkers website, your model has interior noise of 72db, the 2003 onwards Mercedes E320 auto has interior noise of 69db, and the BMW 530i SE auto of 2003 is 71db. I realise the 2004 GS mk2 is an older design than the 2003 merc and bmw, so i've checked the old shape german cars too.

2000 model BMW 530i Auto is 72db. No info available on the old shape Merc.

From what you have mentioned, it sounds like something is wrong. Possibly your door/window seals or something more serious. Brakes only make noises if, the ABS is in operation EVERY time you apply the brakes or the calipers are sticking or the pads are worn out totally or they are made of poor quality material.

I drive a GS300 Sport with huge, fat, low profile tyres, and sure there is some tyre noise, but not a great deal. You only notice it because wind noise and engine noise are so low. I'd consult a lawyer as it sounds like you may have a lemon from new. If you've had the car a while, it might be tough to reject it under sale of goods act. How long have you had it?

Had a look at parkers website, your model has interior noise of 72db, the 2003 onwards Mercedes E320 auto has interior noise of 69db, and the BMW 530i SE auto of 2003 is 71db. I realise the 2004 GS mk2 is an older design than the 2003 merc and bmw, so i've checked the old shape german cars too.

2000 model BMW 530i Auto is 72db. No info available on the old shape Merc.

From what you have mentioned, it sounds like something is wrong. Possibly your door/window seals or something more serious. Brakes only make noises if, the ABS is in operation EVERY time you apply the brakes or the calipers are sticking or the pads are worn out totally or they are made of poor quality material.

I drive a GS300 Sport with huge, fat, low profile tyres, and sure there is some tyre noise, but not a great deal. You only notice it because wind noise and engine noise are so low. I'd consult a lawyer as it sounds like you may have a lemon from new. If you've had the car a while, it might be tough to reject it under sale of goods act. How long have you had it?

Appreciate the help

I bought this Lexus in September 2004 and have had a number of small problems. Including scratches on the driver and passengers side windows. Both windows Replaced by my Lexus dealer. Rattles in the dash. Rectified by my Lexus dealer. The noises in my Lexus appear to be falling on deaf ears by my Lexus dealer and more disturbing by the national distributor. I really need good advice on this problem.

If I were you, I'd get onto your local trading standards sharpish..and also give consumer direct a call on 0845 4 04 05 06.

They can advise you on your legal rights. I'm no expert, but since you've allowed Lexus to rectify these problems in the first place, you have officially accepted the car, and have little chance of rejecting it outright. However, you probably have a case for getting it checked by a 3rd party and taking the results back to Lexus.

Good Luck!

Ooops, just saw that you are in Ireland. The law I have quoted is for the UK, not sure how Ireland differs. Can anyone advise?

If I were you, I'd get onto your local trading standards sharpish..and also give consumer direct a call on 0845 4 04 05 06.

They can advise you on your legal rights. I'm no expert, but since you've allowed Lexus to rectify these problems in the first place, you have officially accepted the car, and have little chance of rejecting it outright. However, you probably have a case for getting it checked by a 3rd party and taking the results back to Lexus.

Good Luck!

Ooops, just saw that you are in Ireland. The law I have quoted is for the UK, not sure how Ireland differs. Can anyone advise?

Thank you for the support

My big problem is I was too patient with my Lexus dealer? I now accept that I should have responded to the problem with more urgency.

Your advice appears to be the only answer at this stage.

I am open to other suggestions on what route to take.

Thanks Guys

have you driven another GS to see if there is any difference??

Hi There

The answer to your question is yes

This GS300 is my third MK2 Lexus

My first two were superb cars to drive this one

Is the exception. It is turning out to be a nightmare

The pleasure of driving has been totally removed by this experience.

I am getting some interesting replies from the US link well worth a look at.

Will keep you updated on my progress.

Oh almost forgot I also had the pleasure of driving the new Mk 3 GS 300 superb car

With a little road noise (acceptable)

I must be getting paranoid to noise at this stage

Why not ?.

When you pay big money for a luxury car

You should get a luxury product that you can enjoy

Hi There

Oh almost forgot I also had the pleasure of driving the new Mk 3 GS 300 superb car

Why not ?.

Hi Guys

Took your advice and got a survey carried out on my Lexus GS300,

Waiting for the results

Will keep you advised

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There

Why not ?.

Hi Guys

Waiting for the results

Will keep you advised

Hi There

Why not ?.

Hi Guys

Waiting for the results

Will keep you advised

Hi guys

got the results back from the survey

noise levels in my gs on average came in at 78dba to 84dba