Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reducing Car Insurance With Additional Driver?

derekyau

I have heard that some people's car insurance gets cheaper if they add a very low risk driver (such as your middle-aged mum or alike). :blink:

They even get a refund on their policy if they've ammended it part-way through...

Anyone out there experienced the same?

D. :duh:

i have found for me it was only cheaper when i got the quote from the begining of the contract, if you add a low risk driver now it will cost you an admin charge and wont reduce the policy, with my missues on there from the begining of the contract i was saving bout 120 quid

I have heard that some people's car insurance gets cheaper if they add a very low risk driver (such as your middle-aged mum or alike). :blink:

They even get a refund on their policy if they've ammended it part-way through...

Anyone out there experienced the same?

D. :duh:

Yes....thats correct.

With Prisca as the sole driver of a Yaris the premium was over £800. With me added as named driver (Old Git, 10 years NCN, clean licence) the premium dropped to £420 :D

With Prisca as the sole driver of a Yaris the premium was over £800. With me added as named driver (Old Git, 10 years NCN, clean licence) the premium dropped to £420 :D

Who is down as the main driver though Mike?

Mrs Mac's eldest passed his test Sept last year. Went on confused.com and got quotes for TPFT for him on a 1.1 Fiesta, N plate, value £500 with up to 5K miles a year. Cheapest quote was nearly £ 1,500 FFS :o

This thread is interesting as it may be worth getting Mrs Mac added.

Mrs Mac's eldest passed his test Sept last year. Went on confused.com and got quotes for TPFT for him on a 1.1 Fiesta, N plate, value £500 with up to 5K miles a year. Cheapest quote was nearly £ 1,500 FFS :o

Prisca is the main driver

Thanks Mike.

Who is the insurance with?

Thanks Mike.

Who is the insurance with?

Norwich Union Direct. There were several companies all came in around the same price. Found it on Confused.com

When i was looking for renewal quotes this time last year, added the missus and got a nice reduction, around £100-£150ish cant remember now, still dont mean she can drive it :D ...although its good to have in case of an emergency

I added someone (ifraz actually) to my insurance a couple of years ago and it has saved me around £80/year ever since. This was quite bizarre as he had recently been in an accident where he lost his NCB. When I tried to add my mother who has been driving for something in the region of 300 years and has never had an accident, my premium went up.

Most insurance companies will reduce the premium if you add an additional driver to your policy. Usually, it becomes cheaper if a <40 year old male is the main driver, and you add a female as the named driver. Since most insurance companies have found that a woman has a lower chance of a crash than a man, the risk for that policy is lowered, if a woman might be doing some of the driving. Not always, but most of the time this will work.

Also, having additional drivers may lower risk, since for long journeys, there will be multiple drivers available to share the load, i.e. less tiring for main driver.

When taking out a policy, ALWAYS get a quote with main driver only, and named drivers too, to ascertain any price difference.

cheapest we`ve found is for the wife to be main driver (she has full ncp) as women get cheaper insurance anyway, then add me the hubby on as named driver.

as we`re with direct line, who have always been the cheapest btw, i still get ncp added.

however, what really winds me up is having to go through all companies as though you are a new customer to get the lowest quote eg :online, new customer etc.

there is no reduction for loyalty, and even if you get a cheaper rival quote you still have to argue your loyalty.

have these companies not heard of the costs involved between customer retention and attracting new customers; its far cheaper to keep old customers!!!!!!!!!!!

no wonder we need websites like confues or uswitch because there is no effort to keep customers.

Plonkers.

cheapest we`ve found is for the wife to be main driver (she has full ncp) as women get cheaper insurance anyway, then add me the hubby on as named driver.

as we`re with direct line, who have always been the cheapest btw, i still get ncp added.

however, what really winds me up is having to go through all companies as though you are a new customer to get the lowest quote eg :online, new customer etc.

there is no reduction for loyalty, and even if you get a cheaper rival quote you still have to argue your loyalty.

have these companies not heard of the costs involved between customer retention and attracting new customers; its far cheaper to keep old customers!!!!!!!!!!!

no wonder we need websites like confues or uswitch because there is no effort to keep customers.

Plonkers.

terdancam Meldrew ! :P :lol:

I found last year that by getting insured ONLINE with MoreThan (who I've been with for about the last 4 years) I saved approx £150.

I rang them and queried why they have sent me a quote for the Lex for near on £500, and when I used their website I got it for about £350. The bloke on the end of the phone told me that it's because the online service is really only there for NEW customers, and they therefore get a discount on their insurance. He did say hand over mouth that if I was to cancel my old policy and then take out a new one online that this would make me a NEW customer with a NEW policy number and a £150 saving.

But like you put - why didn't I get offered the discount as surely I am what you would consider a loyal customer ? :duh:

The mind boggles !

I too have had a good reduction in the past by adding a gold plated named driver. But! there's always a but! The Insurance company could conceiveably claim that if there was no intention for the second driver to actually drive the car then you have obtained cheaper insurance by devious means. Not quite sure how they would prove it but there is no depth to which they will not sink to avoid paying out. Probably they would just refuse and leave you with the expensive and possibly futile task of persuading them that both named drivers shared the risk by driving the car at least some of the time. I havn't heard of a case yet but as far as Insurance companies go I bracket them with politicians when it comes to honesty and integrity.

I too have had a good reduction in the past by adding a gold plated named driver. But! there's always a but! The Insurance company could conceiveably claim that if there was no intention for the second driver to actually drive the car then you have obtained cheaper insurance by devious means. Not quite sure how they would prove it but there is no depth to which they will not sink to avoid paying out. Probably they would just refuse and leave you with the expensive and possibly futile task of persuading them that both named drivers shared the risk by driving the car at least some of the time. I havn't heard of a case yet but as far as Insurance companies go I bracket them with politicians when it comes to honesty and integrity.

That is kinda what I was thinking earlier on. Surely you can't just go out and name a driver who isn't going to be driving your car.

But on the other hand, how can they prove it ?

Plonkers.

terdancam Meldrew ! :P :lol:

I found last year that by getting insured ONLINE with MoreThan (who I've been with for about the last 4 years) I saved approx £150.

I rang them and queried why they have sent me a quote for the Lex for near on £500, and when I used their website I got it for about £350. The bloke on the end of the phone told me that it's because the online service is really only there for NEW customers, and they therefore get a discount on their insurance. He did say hand over mouth that if I was to cancel my old policy and then take out a new one online that this would make me a NEW customer with a NEW policy number and a £150 saving.

But like you put - why didn't I get offered the discount as surely I am what you would consider a loyal customer ? :duh:

The mind boggles !

i haven`t had s*x in a few days, so i`m a wee bit tense......................... :D

but you`re right about the meldrew accusation, i`m 34 years old and wound up tighter than a really wound up tight thing...........the world is full of feckers like insurance companies unfortunately :D

i haven`t had s*x in a few days, so i`m a wee bit tense......................... :D

but you`re right about the meldrew accusation, i`m 34 years old and wound up tighter than a really wound up tight thing...........the world is full of feckers like insurance companies unfortunately :D

:lol::lol: You need a massage parlour to loosen you up !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links