Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

keying ignition switch does not always crank engine;

sometimes solenoid or relay clicks; sometimes no sounds at all; courtesy and dash lights stay lit when this occurs. After several attempts, cranking occurs. (engine starts). Tried changing batteries/cleaning cables, to no avail. Is it ignition switch or starter. Help! Also, how is starter removed from engine/car ..............

I had this problem. My engine was removed prior to the chassis being straightened and when it went back together the starter had a mind of its own. I traced it to the connection on the motor itself being loose. Its not easy to get at but its easier if you swear a few times first and down a few beers. Check it out before you part with your cash. As you know, the cars are virtually bombproof so its probably something daft. :)

Have not had this problem on my GS but have on an earlier car.

Take a look at the earth cable between the engine unit and the chassis. If you can, check the resistance between the Battery negative and the engine.

The Battery negative and the engine are each connected separately to the chassis separately as the engine is on rubber (isolating) mountings. A poor earth connection to the engine will cause the probelm your are experiencing.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links