Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supagard

theb

Just ordered a new IS200 Sport and the salesman tried to sell me "Supagard" or something similar.

Apparently this protects your paintwork and you do not need to polish the car for over a year (not sure if he said 3 years). It also protects it from things like bird droppings etc..

The inside is treated with a "scotchguard" type of stuff which stops any staines etc to the seats and carpets.

I think it was about £200.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Does it work? Is it worth £200?

Thanks

B :question:

Supaguard is usually the very last thing a salesman will "throw in" to clinch the deal - so it can't cost anywhere near the 3 or 400 GBP they charge if you ask for it yourself.

My Opinion: No worth it!

I had mine Teflosealed - similar deal.

The outside works ace - I pay £7.50 to my car hand cleaned with sponges (no bristles at all) and chamoised dry.

It comes out looking SPOT on - showroom shine.

Mat,

where di you get that done and how much did it cost, and with your opinion is it worth it??

trying to sign-up, payments gone through, just sent an e-mail to Steve, awaiting for reply...

Anyone else got any thoughts about applying products similar to Supagard to their IS..

I know that "BRN 7Y" has used something smilar??

Sorry for replying to my own question, but......

Spoke to a friend today who had his car treated with Supagard - he agrees with Mat - The shine is great - even after a quick wash.

There are a few places on the web where you can buy a "home kit" but they reckon it takes about 5 - 8 hours to do it properly. It was about £50.

more info at..

http://www.diamondautocare.co.uk/teflo.htm

http://www.supagard.co.uk/

Dont know if this helps any.

Thanks

B

Tefloseal and Toughseal are the same thing.

I had it done by Lexus before they handed over the car.

It was £195 - this is £55 for the kit, and best part of a day applying it (on and off - not a solid 8 hours).

Tefloseal website advertised their own team to come to your car and do it for £210 - so £195 seemed good to me.

I posted to usenet about it before making the decision myself (LOC didn't exist then :( ), and got some derogatory remarks about it.

They were typical smart alec usenet posts, picking to pieces the fact that it can't be applying teflon to the car as you have to superheat the metal to 10,000 degrees sort of thing.

I just ignored them.

Then the owner of the company rang me up (my standard sig included mobile number) - and explained what the deal was.

There is a tiny amount of (quite a rare type of) teflon, which is used as a catalyst to cause two chemicals to react - hence the name.

All in all - I am very happy with it.

Thanks for the info guys,

In the Gold Members section i read that Toughseal are offering discounts to Lexus Owners Club...

I have sent an e-mail to Stuart (MD) at Splash Group, who are offering to supply and fit ToughSeal to the Vehicle with the discounted price..

I think i will probably go for the ToughSeal...

Might as well pay them and get it done right...

• 6 months later...

OK seems to be a bit of a confused mix from what I can see....

I am getting the Supa Guard fro free but have to apply it myself, I was wondering more whether I should or shouldn't but from reading it's not going to harm the shine on the car already so will give it a go and see what effect it has, I guess ifit makes no difference the only thing I lose out on is some elbow grease and effort.....

• 2 weeks later...

Bought my car brand new 6 weeks ago with Supaguard treatment - I was sold on the idea of not having to wax / polish the bugger for 3 years!

Washed the car yesterday for the first time, and here's my verdict...

1. Still had to scrub hard to remove the dead bugs from the bumper/bonnet, not really surpising as they had been dried on for a few weeks!!

2. After I rinsed off the shampoo, it was no effort at all wiping the car down without leaving water marks (even when the sun had evaporated most of it).

3. Showroom finish at the end... but that's what I expected after spending the extra money on it :duh: ?!!!

If you're a lazy @ss like me... it does save some time and effort in washing the car - especially if you're used to waxing it. :D

Another top tip.... Platinum Ice is excellent hiding the dirt on the car... it's just the black brake dust covered wheels that give it away! :winky:

I had the Supaguard treatment inside & out on my current IS. My verdict:

1) The car is no easier to wash outside than my previous (silver) IS which didn't have the treatment.

2) The inside is a complete nightmare - it's turned the dash into a dust magnet! Never had that problem on the previous car.

Never again.... mutter mutter! :duh:

I went for the exterior and interior treatment... so I'm pretty sure it covered the wheels too. <_< Yep... the wheels were easy to clean, the hardest bit was bending down on my knees to reach them! :blink:

My last car (VW Polo :P ) that I had for 6 years, never once treated the alloys.... and it was never a problem cleaning then! So I very much doubt Supaguard made much (if any) difference. I'm just hoping the 16" alloys aren't a prone to corrosion as the 17" are.

Again with my old car (that I owned from new), the paint work was never treated and it still looked nice and shiny after several years. Just required a decent coat of wax every 4-6 months. (Highly recommend Auto Glym products esp. the Shampoo and Wax).

Would I have the Supaguard treatment again on a new car? It depends, if I had a garage / driveway so that I could clean it regularly then no, a bit of wax and elbow grease is far cheaper!

Since where I'm living at the moment it's impractical to wash the car (and I can't be @rsed to go to the local jet wash) it's well worth it because...

1) Don't have to wax it for 3 years (watch this space)!

2) It definitely makes a difference when wiping down the car after a rinse! :zee: (A mate said the same thing with his treated MR2 and regrets not doing the same to his IS200..... and he religiously washes his car every week :yahoo: )!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Have any of you heard of a product called Crystal Guard? It's been getting some good reviews on other auto forums. I guess it's better than Teflon and you actually put a layer of crystal over the paint so it reflects and protects really well. I tried it and it is simply amazing stuff. Any one else tried this stuff?

Well certainly sounds interesting, and there's some bold claims made on their website.

If I hadn't had the Supaguard treatment done by the dealer (although it doesn't seem that effective), I'd be tempted to give it a go. My worry is that this would somehow react with the Supaguard either short term & reduce the effectiveness (of both), or long term and screw up the paint finish :( ...or maybe I'm just paranoid :unsure:

I had mine done at the dealers. I am pleased with the outside, but the inside has become a dust magnet. (Supaguard)

It's unbelievable. It's a nice finish but the dust a bits really cling to it. I don't know were it all comes from. I know a few people who are complaining of the same thing.

I've not long got some foam cleaner and really rubbed it into the dash to try and break it down a bit. Seems to have done the trick and it isn't as half as bad now, but still has the good look to it.

Personally, I wouldn't get the inside done again.

Interesting diamond 2216, new member, first and only post and introduces a new product to the forum :question:

My thoughts exactly. Strange that isn't it ?

Diamond 2216 - care to tell us more about yourself ?

Geoffers - what foam cleaner did you use? My Supaguard'ed interior is awful, I vacuum it and a week later it's covered in dust again :duh:

Steve/smw - good point, you guys are on the ball ! :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links