Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cambelt, This Much?

KnightUnit

Hi All,

Just got a quote from a local garage to change my is200 sport cambelt, this is if I supply the belt...£350 ! took me back a bit lol. Im sure this sounds a bit high? he mentioned they have to remove the radiator and the air con unit to get to the cambelt, this true?

Some help appreaciated

From a very reputable garage I was quoted £120 labour.

That is on the RX so I don't know if that is an easier job or more difficult one than the iS200.

They have serviced and MOT all my previous cars.

Hi All,

Just got a quote from a local garage to change my is200 sport cambelt, this is if I supply the belt...£350 ! took me back a bit lol. Im sure this sounds a bit high? he mentioned they have to remove the radiator and the air con unit to get to the cambelt, this true?

Some help appreaciated

Had my timing belt changed last week. Cost, inclusive of 90,000 mile service and VAT was €791.00

AND they left me with warning lamps illuminated.

Not happy!

• 1 month later...

So can someone tell me?

How much is a cambelt to buy, I have my own mech to fit it :)

About £26-£30 toyota/lexus gen part :D

Thanks Gord.

Been advised to change it, when I buy one. Mechs only gonna charge me £50 for the labour B)

So can someone tell me?

How much is a cambelt to buy, I have my own mech to fit it :)

About £26-£30 toyota/lexus gen part :D

Thanks Gord.

Been advised to change it, when I buy one. Mechs only gonna charge me £50 for the labour B)

You will be better changing the tensioner + idler to :o both about £50-£55 each :o

Been advised to change it, when I buy one.

Whys that mate???? Has it got near-on 100k on the clock, cos thats when the cam-belt needs changing

Don't know, as I havent found one yet :D

It's just something I was advised, when buying second hand cars, if the person hasn't got the history.

Got a Calibra at the mo, and it goes up for sale thursday or friday, its having a new oil pump fitted at the mo.

Girlfriend says I can get eht Lex now, if I can find one cheap enough.

been looking in Atuo trader and threr are some at around £5000-£6000. That is all we can afford at the mo, but if it's good we can always work up at a later date :winky:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Will be on here a lot more once the car is bought.

Had my cambelt done few months ago, supplied own belt, tensioner and bolt(think mine was about £60)...Had service done at same time, filters and oil...when changing the belt they found the crank shaft pully (also a counter weight) was cracked so also had new one of those (about £220 for pully) also got them to do an emissions test, when all was done come to about £560, very reasonable i thought.

I see the car mid service (to see crank shaft pully) and the rad and other bits were out.

This was done by a local garage near my work and it was the first IS200 they had done aswell.

Oh, car had just hit 100k

Looking at service book it says at that mileage the ABS and Airbags need checking...doubt that was done tho'

Cheer up, a pal of mine has a Nissan QX [ think thats right, top model anyway] and he was quoted £1400 to change the timing belt!

As this exceeds the value of the car, he is just going to run it till it breaks, then bin it.

The sad thing is , the car is immaculate with all the toys etc.

Been advised to change it, when I buy one.

Whys that mate???? Has it got near-on 100k on the clock, cos thats when the cam-belt needs changing

It's just something I was advised, when buying second hand cars, if the person hasn't got the history.

I wouldn't waste loads of cash getting it changed if you're its nowhere near 100k though.

Put the money towards a newer motor with less miles.

My first IS had 89k on it when I sold it and I hadn't had the cam belt changed.

Good luck with your search though, hope you get yourself a good un.

The guys on here are great if you've got any questions, so dont be afraid to ask!!!

Cheers :winky:

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

i am just debating whether to change mine.

my car is now 6 years old has 54k on the clock at got it at 41 so i have had it serviced at 40k @ liverpool and 50K at hanley

@ the 40K @ liverpool the sed i should get it changed

@ the 50k service @ Hanley they said it was ok

so at this point i decided to have a look, to me and my g/f dad we both agreed it looked fine

the other day i took my car to liverpool to see if they could find the problem with the front Clunching noise (they sed this was due to front disc pads being low and need changing)

anyway they sed it should be changed due to the car being 6 years and sed they have a special price at the minute for £300

so i am just debating whether to buy the part from lexus and get somewhere else to fit it

• 2 weeks later...
I was quoted £298 from Lexus Leics. Still steep I think.

Get a private Mech to do it, unless its a warranty requirment.

Im having the Cambelt, tensioner, and all my suspension changed back to the OEM, oil change and oil filter.

For £100, I supply the parts.

I was quoted £298 from Lexus Leics. Still steep I think.

Get a private Mech to do it, unless its a warranty requirment.

Im having the Cambelt, tensioner, and all my suspension changed back to the OEM, oil change and oil filter.

For £100, I supply the parts.

Makes no odds if Lexus do it for warranty or not. So long as the pasrts are genuine the warranty is not effected if an independant does it.

I didn't intend for Leics to do the work, I only rang them up for a quote on the bits and as that took long enough I couldn't be bothered to to tell them that was not what I asked for. :P