Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Knocking Sound From Front End

liam

hi guys

When driving along at normal speed i hear a knocking sound from the front end of the car

Car went into lexus Newcastle on Monday to have 20k service and to look at knocking sound

I new a needed new tyres all round , but told them not to change them as i am in the middle of having my 18" styling alloys refurbed , due to the wife curbing them by getting out of the way of an amberlance

picks the car up on Monday afternoon all is find except lexus say that they checked the car for knocking , but as the tires were road legal they couldnt take the car out to check for the knocking . So i had to then take the car and get new tires fitted all round 225/40/18 f1 eagles cost £555 with full tracking done .

Wife took the car back to lexus yesterday and had to take the machanic out for a run and for him to listen to the car for knocking .

Now lexus want my car for 2 day to investigate what the noise is ?

Any ideas of what it could be

front passenger tyre wear 000

front driver side tyre wear 454

rear passenger side wear 353

rear driver side wear 345

Also i have just had new tyres and my tracking done will it effect my tracking if they replace ball joint etc , or will they reset my traqcking again after they work on my car .

Cheers Liam

I get the same problem from the front right hand side. I only get it when going over bumps with the wheels turned (normally when turning onto my driveway).

I assumed it would be a bush or ball joint, but I'll Lexus to have a look when it goes in for service.

I get the same problem from the front right hand side. I only get it when going over bumps with the wheels turned (normally when turning onto my driveway).

I assumed it would be a bush or ball joint, but I'll Lexus to have a look when it goes in for service.

If its when manouvering only, its probably new pads required.

Common noise when low, they seem to rattle when just lightly touching the brakes.

I had and change the pads and it went.

Could be a ball joiint, but I would try fitting new pads first, Lexus will want to change your discs as well - more than likely as they are expensive. They did me, but it has been fine since I put pads in.

Can get pads cheap - about £20 if ordinary ones, and they are very easy to fit, the instructions in the knowledge base are easy to follow.

The term "knocking" is often referred to when there is a problem with the shocks.

Shock absorbers can easily be worn, in rough terrain, and some (quite often) can just be faulty.

Alternatively, if you are hearing "clunking" upon braking, or "rattling" it could easily be loose pads.

"Grinding" and "whirring" noises come from worn wheel bearings.

i was just about to report this prob! i have a clunking when turning mostly, like trevman i get it most when turning in my driveway as you go up a little incline. the guys at my local garage say they cant see anything wrong with it so i said id ask on here!!! my brakes are really squeeky as well...

Well seems like a common problem then, i have a knocking on the NS mainly over bumps and have been told it is more than likely the ball joint! But need new brakes and pads and 60k service so gonna get this done and see how it goes, oh, also new tyres!

I hear my wallet crying!!

yeah i was thinking ball joints...heard it banded around the forums a bit...i think id need couple of ball joints break pads n discs n 1 new front tyre!! im hating the clanking noise thing...not very good when your pimping thru town and go to stop and all this clunking n squeeking comes on!!!

Common noise when low, they seem to rattle when just lightly touching the brakes.

Could be a ball joiint, but I would try fitting new pads first, Lexus will want to change your discs as well - more than likely as they are expensive. They did me, but it has been fine since I put pads in.

Can get pads cheap - about £20 if ordinary ones, and they are very easy to fit, the instructions in the knowledge base are easy to follow.

It's definately not discs or pads, Lexus checked them recently and said they were fine, with abt 40% wear on pads.

It sounds suspension related, the noise is more of a 'CLUNK' which seems to be transmitted through either the suspension or the body. But it only happens with the wheels turned. I had a good look but can't see anything untoward.

I might get Lexus to have a look at it when I get back off my hols.

It's definately not discs or pads, Lexus checked them recently and said they were fine, with abt 40% wear on pads.

It sounds suspension related, the noise is more of a 'CLUNK' which seems to be transmitted through either the suspension or the body. But it only happens with the wheels turned. I had a good look but can't see anything untoward.

I might get Lexus to have a look at it when I get back off my hols.

If you get it over bumbs it probably is not the brakes - did not read you post properly before :blush:

What I think happens with the pads when they are low is - because there are two pistons, when turning one of the pistons gets more "juice" or pressure and so the pad is pushed at a very slight angle, then the other end of the pad catches on the caliper and the is eventually pushed forward against the resistance of the caliper, thus causing the clanking noise. It must be a very small angle I know, but all noises are amplified through machinery.

The thing is, if you have to go over a speed bump or your driveway you must break. So, the CLUNK comes from the break calipers meeting the break pads. I had the dreaded squeak and my pads were about 50% worn.

I changed the pads, cleaned the calipers with some copper coat at the back and both clunk and squeak dissapeared.

trinilex........................ :driving:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links