Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Consumption

akkilles

My LS400 averages 26-28 MPG.

IS220d. 34 mpg after 1200 miles.

Blimey, that doesn't seem very good for a diesel. I hope it gets better as the engine gets run in, as that's the same MPG as most of the IS250's are getting.

There are a lot of threads already covering this, often it is a good idea to search to see if the info already exists :)

Here are some you may find of interest:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...ST&f=50&t=29596

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...ST&f=27&t=30215

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...ST&f=50&t=18882

And here are my obligatory stats :) ....

IS200_MPG.jpg

IS300_MPG.jpg

IS 250 SEL - 34-36mpg & 38mpg(motorways)

Javeed

Looks like the 250 betters the diesel on fuel economy (and performance). Wonderful.

You've no doubt done this (sorry for the motherhood statement), but you have re-set the readout since buying it? Is that even possible?

Hi Jamboo,

There are two mpg figures available, one since car was bought and another which resets itself every time you fill up. Both are within a gnats whisker of each other and showing 34 mpg.

I recall someone else on the board getting about 34mpg for the IS220d. I've spoken with the dealer and they agree that it should be better than this and to wait for about 4000 miles.

Blimey, that doesn't seem very good for a diesel. I hope it gets better as the engine gets run in, as that's the same MPG as most of the IS250's are getting.

Just found this reader review on What Car. The guy has done 3000 miles in his IS220d and is only getting 30 - 37 mpg :angry:

IS220d Reader Review

I think I might be having a conversation with Lexus and the advertising standards agency before too long.

IS 250 SEL - 34-36mpg & 38mpg(motorways)

Javeed

Only averaging 28 mpg with the IS250 with a mix of motorway/town driving, and the IS200 is doing about the same.

Just found this reader review on What Car. The guy has done 3000 miles in his IS220d and is only getting 30 - 37 mpg :angry:

IS220d Reader Review

I think I might be having a conversation with Lexus and the advertising standards agency before too long.

Hiya Scott - hope you're well...Has someone at Lexus been telling porkies...

This is not a good advertisement for the car. I suppose it's too late for me...mine is arriving 9th March...it does not bode well for me. Poor customer service from my local dealer and poor fuel economy...

I'm not heavy footed, and with 25000 miles per year mainly motorway, I am expecting low 40's. If I don't see this, it's back to Audi in 18-24 months when the new A4 arrives...

It's sad that I'm thinking about my next car when this one hasn't arrived...and this was supposed to be the one I grow old with!

This is not a good advertisement for the car. I suppose it's too late for me...mine is arriving 9th March...it does not bode well for me. Poor customer service from my local dealer and poor fuel economy...

I'm not heavy footed, and with 25000 miles per year mainly motorway, I am expecting low 40's. If I don't see this, it's back to Audi in 18-24 months when the new A4 arrives...

It's sad that I'm thinking about my next car when this one hasn't arrived...and this was supposed to be the one I grow old with!

I haven spoken with the sales manager at Lexus Poole today and he agrees that the mpg doesn't sound too good - I'm getting less than the around town mpg!!

He's contacting Lexus UK next week to try and find out if this is unusual (my car) or if something somewhere has gone wrong with the diesel. Dunno what it could be, I'm technically car challenged so i don't know if they can change some values in the computer somewhere and magically improve the figures - in the old days we'd tweak around with the carb.

I've tried heavy foot and light foot driving, it makes no difference. I've also pointed out to them that you can only use sixth gear by breaking the law (75+ only), not exactly a good advert for a new car.

Good point Nicnac...We had a thought - maybe plump for the petrol instead...but ultimately we prefer the "drive" of the diesel...

On a manual .v. Auto basis, the auto is best....

However, the diesel is slightly more engaging to drive, and should still emit less harmful stuff into the air...so we'll be sticking with the oil burner for now...

In a sraight performance fight, I still think the diesel is quicker, but the gearing is high...and more suited to motorway driving, where mine will spend 80% of it's life.

Maybe next time...when that IS350 finally gets here (there's wishing)!

I don't think your economy will improve much beyond 10% over 10000 miles...so that'll maybe get us to 40mpg...with the A/Con off etc in the winter.

PS - I'm sure I read somewhere that customers of the BMW 320d found that getting 40+ MPG meant lots of high gear, max torque drving, leading to an actual average of 40MPG best...and that has 163 bhp...

Scott - thanks for taking it on - let us know how you're getting on.

The other odd thing with the 250 is that the auto is claimed to have BETTER fuel economy than the manual - never seen that before :blink: PS Jamboo - my dealer now has a nice 250 auto with all the toys in your second fav colour ( caspian sky) - just in case you change your mind ( and you should ) :D :D

However, the diesel is slightly more engaging to drive, and should still emit less harmful stuff into the air...so we'll be sticking with the oil burner for now...

Not so sure any asthmatics will agree with the 'less harmful stuff'.

I do mostly city driving just now, and am getting 24mpg from the 250 auto. The only chance I've had to do a motorway stint returned 35.

I haven spoken with the sales manager at Lexus Poole today and he agrees that the mpg doesn't sound too good - I'm getting less than the around town mpg!!

He's contacting Lexus UK next week to try and find out if this is unusual (my car) or if something somewhere has gone wrong with the diesel. Dunno what it could be, I'm technically car challenged so i don't know if they can change some values in the computer somewhere and magically improve the figures - in the old days we'd tweak around with the carb.

I've tried heavy foot and light foot driving, it makes no difference. I've also pointed out to them that you can only use sixth gear by breaking the law (75+ only), not exactly a good advert for a new car.

if you are doing a lot of short trips during winter, 35mpg is not bad for 180hp RWD diesel. According to tests of Avensis and Corolla Verso with the same engine, it usually gets about 5% less mpg than its lower hp friends from BMW, Opel and Ford, but with 15-30hp more and 20-25% more torque.

Our company yaris with 1.3l engine gets 33mpg during winter, mostly city. My prius gets 40-47mpg during winter around city (60 mpg during summer). Our avensis 2.0d4d gets around 35-37mpg during winter. My friends audi a4 130hp got 29mpg in same conditions.

Question is, what was your old car getting under same conditions during winter?

Most people posting petrol 35mpg figures are driving highway only. Well, nobody lives on the highway :-).

I can get between 60mpg and 70mpg at the highway in my Prius at any time, which still doesnt change the fact that during the winter I drive mostly short trips in the city which gets me down to some 45mpg.

I could go around screaming that my prius only does 45mpg, yet that doesnt change the fact that itsy bitsy yaris gets a lot worse mileage than that :-).

What I am trying to get to is that you need to compare apples to apples.

if you are doing a lot of short trips during winter, 35mpg is not bad for 180hp RWD diesel. According to tests of Avensis and Corolla Verso with the same engine, it usually gets about 5% less mpg than its lower hp friends from BMW, Opel and Ford, but with 15-30hp more and 20-25% more torque.

Our company yaris with 1.3l engine gets 33mpg during winter, mostly city. My prius gets 40-47mpg during winter around city (60 mpg during summer). Our avensis 2.0d4d gets around 35-37mpg during winter. My friends audi a4 130hp got 29mpg in same conditions.

Question is, what was your old car getting under same conditions during winter?

Most people posting petrol 35mpg figures are driving highway only. Well, nobody lives on the highway :-).

I can get between 60mpg and 70mpg at the highway in my Prius at any time, which still doesnt change the fact that during the winter I drive mostly short trips in the city which gets me down to some 45mpg.

I could go around screaming that my prius only does 45mpg, yet that doesnt change the fact that itsy bitsy yaris gets a lot worse mileage than that :-).

What I am trying to get to is that you need to compare apples to apples.

My daily journey consists of:

1 mile : 30 mph

5 mile : 60 mph

45 mile : dual-carriageway/motorway

6 mile : 60 mph

4 mile : 40/30 mph

So most of my miles are motorway miles. For the town trips we use the wife's car. I've also turned off the air conditioning in an effort to improve the economy.

Given that most of my travelling is motorway or fast A roads I would expect at least mid-forties (combined). I don't expect to get less than Lexus quote for around town driving (urban):

Urban (mpg/l/100 km) 35.8/7.9

Extra urban (mpg/l/100 km) 52.3/5.4

Combined (mpg/l/100 km) 44.8/6.3

The old car was an IS300 so there is no comparison. I traded for the IS220d purely because I wanted to save some money on the fuel and believed that I would see good fuel economy. Otherwise I would have gone for the IS250 auto.

Not apples and apples, but my A4 130bhp 1.9TDI was always above 54mpg on my regular route to essex - 30 Miles fast A roads, and 200 miles motorway including the infamous cambridge/huntingdon (A14/M11) snarl ups and the M25...

I know it was less powrful, but hey 20mpg more?

And just town driving - never below 39mpg, hence why so many cabbies use the same engine via the Passatt route.

Been munching this over some more since the last post...How can a 6 cyl 2.5 be as economical as a 4 cyl 2.2...and a Diesel at that?

Have they really got the Turbo all :tsktsk: up? Surely at this rate the New RAV4 T180 will be 25 to the gallon tops with all of that lower gearing and extra AWD weight...I still can't believe it!

On the test drive, it was noticeable that the 220d neded more frequent gear changes, and that the Turbo delivered all of it's punch in one go, unlike my old VAG engine which was less powerfull, but somehow felt as powerful 'cos it was a flatter delivery (from 1650rpm to 3800rpm)...

Anyway thought it over some more and I will still stick to diesel :) ...I'm too close to delivery now to be mucking around (I feel I might regret it...oh what the 'eck!).

Been munching this over some more since the last post...How can a 6 cyl 2.5 be as economical as a 4 cyl 2.2...and a Diesel at that?

Have they really got the Turbo all :tsktsk: up? Surely at this rate the New RAV4 T180 will be 25 to the gallon tops with all of that lower gearing and extra AWD weight...I still can't believe it!

On the test drive, it was noticeable that the 220d neded more frequent gear changes, and that the Turbo delivered all of it's punch in one go, unlike my old VAG engine which was less powerfull, but somehow felt as powerful 'cos it was a flatter delivery (from 1650rpm to 3800rpm)...

Anyway thought it over some more and I will still stick to diesel :) ...I'm too close to delivery now to be mucking around (I feel I might regret it...oh what the 'eck!).

Jamboo - my dealer now has a nice 250 auto with all the toys in your second fav colour ( caspian sky) - just in case you change your mind ( and you should )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links