Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250/is350 Dvd/menu/bluetooth Hack Walk Through

kinros

Hi guys,

I just performed the DVD hack as per the original instructions published by muzzman1 on clublexus and it works a treat.

I thought I would put together a step by step walk through to help anyone else who is thinking about attempting this mod. The steps in this guide were not worked out by myself; and everything included in this guide worked as described for me and a number of other people.

Follow this guide at your own risk, inaccurate execution may cause undesired symptoms.

The walkthough can be found here: http://s1.onbytes.com/2149d794

Kinros

Hi guys,

I just performed the DVD hack as per the original instructions published by muzzman1 on clublexus and it works a treat.

I thought I would put together a step by step walk through to help anyone else who is thinking about attempting this mod. The steps in this guide were not worked out by myself; and everything included in this guide worked as described for me and a number of other people.

Follow this guide at your own risk, inaccurate execution may cause undesired symptoms.

Kinros

Thanks Kinros, a nice walk through.

Surely this will void the warranty on your nice sat nav / levinson system?

Your braver than me anyway! There's no way on this earth I would attempt this on a new £27k+ car! Maybe if it was out of warranty!

Are the benefits worth it?

Hi Squarehead,

Voiding of waranty is possible. I checked with my dealer and they said they would honor warranty if the mod was done by a company they deal with. I called the company and they said it was $500 and they stick something into the wires they cut - maybe its the switch they stick in who knows - they also said they have not been able to get access to a IS250 from the dealer and it could be many months away.

The cuts made can be reconnected without visibile detection - it's not detectable unless someone goes through the trouble of unwrapping the wireing loom and insulation surounding the wires.

If something goes wrong with the head unit, they will run a diagnositc (this does not show up the mod) and fix / replace as appropriate, this can be done by unclipping about 6 plugs without unwrapping the insulation.

Is the mod worth it? well that's a personal question and the answer will vary from one person to another. For me I love the fact that the passanger or I can now:

- use the full mobile phone touch screen and not just the speed dial screen

- get access to the MP3 folders list to select folders and tracks

- navigate the full menus of the Mark Levinson

- change settings on any menu

- passanger can watch dvds while moving

- with the override enabled, the passanger can change and add new satnav destinations while moving

At the end of the day don't do anything your not comfortable doing :)

Cheers

Kinros

• 1 month later...

kinros, as the "hack" eliminates the speed sensor to the unit, has this also disabled the ASL function for the sound system?

Hi Rap03

I just checked.

The ASL still works with this mod. (first bleep at 60km and 2nd bleep at 100km)

Kinros

kinros, as the "hack" eliminates the speed sensor to the unit, has this also disabled the ASL function for the sound system?

Just a thought, but if you do disable the speed pulse, will the Satnav not be affected too? Or are there 2 sources for the speed pulse?

If you do disable the speed pulse then yes, you will loose GPS accuracy, particualrly in tunnels or in the city. Some of the other hacks do have this side effect.

As this hack does not modify the speed input to the head unit, it does not have this side effect. Rember, to enable the phone and menu system you have to use the soft override via the volume screen.

Kinros

Hi guys,

Kinros

Hi all, just bought a is200 se auto and it is so far the best car i ever owned, a friend recommended this site to me and i have been reading it non stop now and its great, so glad to have a site like this where i can read up about my car and find people who love there Lexus as much as me. Just one Qs i need to ask ,i have been reading that its possible to hack the sat nav to play dvds and i have downloaded the info thanks to kinros but i own a is200 se w reg (2000) and the sat nav rises from the top of the dashboard and not in the center consul like on all the pics,,,,,, will it still work if i hack it and has anyone tried it on a model like mine and its has worked fine on there car, any feedback will be great, many thanks?

I must say, as tempting as it is to have those extra features I a. would never attempt to do the mod myself and b. would be very worried about the warranty and other repurcussions. But as you say it depends on whether/if you're comfortable having the mod done.

Just a thought, but if you do disable the speed pulse, will the Satnav not be affected too? Or are there 2 sources for the speed pulse?

If you do disable the speed pulse then yes, you will loose GPS accuracy, particualrly in tunnels or in the city. Some of the other hacks do have this side effect.

As this hack does not modify the speed input to the head unit, it does not have this side effect. Rember, to enable the phone and menu system you have to use the soft override via the volume screen.

Kinros

I've tried the volume thingamy for the phone and it does not work on mine at all...so now I just dial from the phone instead... :blink: which of course is cradled... :winky:

I've tried the volume thingamy for the phone and it does not work on mine at all...so now I just dial from the phone instead... :blink: which of course is cradled... :winky:

Speed dial no good ?

Speed dial no good ?

Oh yes, but I think it only allows a few - I've only bothered with a few voice activated ones and a few speed dials...too many and I forget what ones what....I have so many numbers...over 30 that I need for business regularly...

Has anyone in the UK managed to get the "volume screen hack" to work yet (the one whereyou drive away and do the touch top left, bottom left thing in the volume screen)?

• 2 months later...

Anyone been brave enough to try this on the new IS 220d with Multi-Media? I took delivery of a spanking new one last week and would love to be able to access the phonebook, MP3 file listings and Nav functions, not particualrly bothered about the dvd playing.

Thanks in anticipation.

Wod. ;)

Anyone been brave enough to try this on the new IS 220d with Multi-Media? I took delivery of a spanking new one last week and would love to be able to access the phonebook, MP3 file listings and Nav functions, not particualrly bothered about the dvd playing.

Thanks in anticipation.

Wod. ;)

I would also like to know if anyone in the UK has done this, and if the method of getting to the MM screws is the same on manual shift cars, as the manuals have a different centre console gearshift panel. I had a quick look at this today, and I'd rather I wasn't the first to try it! :blush:

Thanks in anticipation.

Wod. ;)

I would also like to know if anyone in the UK has done this, and if the method of getting to the MM screws is the same on manual shift cars, as the manuals have a different centre console gearshift panel. I had a quick look at this today, and I'd rather I wasn't the first to try it! :blush:

Yep... mine is manual too so any feedback regarding that little variation would also be welcome. I'll even promise to compile a photo walkthrough addendum if someone can help with the info.