Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg

snake

Hi all

I have seen a few topics on here about MGP of is200.

I have just driven from suffolk to glasgow on 3/4 of a tank.

I have done 380 miles and still have 1/4 of a tank left.

I am some what suprised at this as it seemed from the other topics on this subject that MPG was not on the good side with some people only getting 15 to 20 mile per gallon.

My speed for this journey was between 70 and 98 averaging 85 miles per hour, so i was not trying to conserve fuel.

Has anyone else done the same or was i just lucky ?

Never found fuel gauges to be that accurate, first half of the tank always seems to last longer than the second..... Only good way to be sure of your MPG is to fill the tank, do your journey and then refill the tank again at the same station or one with the same price per litre, then you know excatly how much you spent to travel "X" miles....

Hi all

I am some what suprised at this as it seemed from the other topics on this subject that MPG was not on the good side with some people only getting 15 to 20 mile per gallon.

My speed for this journey was between 70 and 98 averaging 85 miles per hour, so i was not trying to conserve fuel.

Hi Guys new to to all this but finding so much helpful stuff on the site.

I'm only getting about 350 miles off a full tank under similar conditions has anyone else had it that bad.

Hi again.

Have just had to fill the tank today, after clocking up 436 miles on one tank.

Not sure how much the tank holds but costs me £55 to fill at the station next door to me.

Hi Kelvin

350 per tank is what i average on a weekly basis (with a heavy foot), which is why i was suprised to get so much on a single journey.

Never found fuel gauges to be that accurate, first half of the tank always seems to last longer than the second..... Only good way to be sure of your MPG is to fill the tank, do your journey and then refill the tank again at the same station or one with the same price per litre, then you know excatly how much you spent to travel "X" miles....

I always found that to. First half a tank seems ok, then the bottom half just vanishes in front you!!

I get mixed mpg. Anything from say 22 to 30. To be honest the is200 are heavy cars and sluggish engines so I don't think its that bad.

Last time I measured was about 21mpg.

The most accurate way to measure the MPG is by doing this.

- Fill the tank

- Pay for it and get a receipt.

- Get back in the car an right down the milage on the receipt.

- next time you need fuel fill it up again

- get a vat receipt - which tells you cost per litre and how many litres

- write the current milage down

then do this formula :

first milage - current milage (= milage covered)

divide milage covered by number of litres used to fill (which is effectively the amount of fuel you have used)to cover the milage recorded.

This gives you m/litre

Then multiply this by 4.54 giving you MPG.

You should do it several times - to average at any small difference in when the hose clicks off.

You do not need to go to the same station.

If you want to work out the cost per mile, then you need the price paid per Litre from either receipt

I used this formulae when I ran a fleet - when a driver queried what he was getting paid per mile.

Hi all

Hi

I think you were quite lucky with that! I tend to average around 25mpg on urban running and somewhere between 30 - 40mpg on motorways. How old is your lex?

OK Guys , how much difference have people found with the A/C on ?

I have only had my IS200 6 days topped it up twice when down to half a tank 24.5 1st time 27.9 2nd.

My last car was a Honda Accord 2.0se VTEC and that did 29mpg constant whether you drove it like a Sunday driver or drove it like a boy racer.

Do you find the IS MPG changes depending on driving style ? :blink:

OK Guys , how much difference have people found with the A/C on ?

I have only had my IS200 6 days topped it up twice when down to half a tank 24.5 1st time 27.9 2nd.

My last car was a Honda Accord 2.0se VTEC and that did 29mpg constant whether you drove it like a Sunday driver or drove it like a boy racer.

Do you find the IS MPG changes depending on driving style ? :blink:

those Vtecs are great engines, i found them more frugal than these VVTI's. The IS is a heavy car so if you want 30+ mpg use super unleaded like Optimax and keep the revs low. 6th gear at 40miles an hour should do it :hehe: . Or just love the car and give it what it wants :winky:

Havn't noticed AC making a diff although i havn't owned the IS car during a hot summer yet. /pray

Have to say Guys, your economy figures are way better than mine!! Worst I've got is 17MPG! :crybaby: That got me 130 miles from £30! Have been experimenting with the SNOW buttton - aka 'economy' button as I've found. Best I've got from using it was 37MPG! Last £30 got me 270 miles @ .869/l = 35.6MPG and that was city bound! :D

Hi Holigan67

My lex is 3 year old (reg jan 2003 on a 52 plate), done 27,000 miles

With reguards to the posting about the snow button, wonder what i would have got if i had used it lol

My fuel guage also goes down slow for the first half and rockets the last half.

Don't forget that the weather also affects fuel economy. For instance, high winds will cause more resistance and hence require more power to overcome. Also, cars tend to produce more power in a chilled environment (due to the air being more dense) which means that more fuel will be used -- at the height of summer, even with the aircon on full all the time you will still probably find you get better MPG than in the winter months.

Have to say Guys, your economy figures are way better than mine!! Worst I've got is 17MPG! :crybaby: That got me 130 miles from £30! Have been experimenting with the SNOW buttton - aka 'economy' button as I've found. Best I've got from using it was 37MPG! Last £30 got me 270 miles @ .869/l = 35.6MPG and that was city bound! :D

Funkey, that's sound pretty cool, does it cause any problems using the snow mode all the time ? Can I ask also what make of fuel your using.

How long have you been using snow ? and what do think the overall average is ? :duh:

• 5 months later...

Most I have got is 460 miles on a full tank!

and that was driving very carefully

but that was before I knew the reserve tank can do approx up to 60 miles!

so im thinking if yr careful you can probably get 500 miles out of it but not that id like to try!

• 2 weeks later...

Around town 330 miles, motorway runs push it up to around 420 @ ave 85mph.

Always get better mpg when I pump tyres up to what they should be!

I have also found that I get better mpg of super-unleaded, but have never done the sums to see if the price difference makes it worthwhile.

Just for interest - I've had a 220d for the last 2 days on a test drive, and that only did 32.6mpg according to its s****y computer! Loadsa poke though!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My avg is 300miles to get it down to the warning light from a full tank, i did a little experiment with a petrol can in the back and got 55 miles exactly from when the warning light came on untill it ran completly out of fuel. so remember guys your safe for 50 miles on the warning light,

However thrashing flooring it everywhere ive had as little as 200miles from a full tank!!!! which can be upsetting, i think the best practical fuel economy is on the motoway under 80mph so its not quite at the 4000 rev mark.

• 2 weeks later...