Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Slated - Everywhere

p.s. another thing i noticed is that IS250 drivers always quoting their one cool trip highway mileage. Now, with new direct injection engines and awesome 6 speed AT, cruising in IS250 should be quite nice mpg wise.

But what happens in city? Or on average? I find it hard to believe everyone drives strictly on highways.

It is all about comparing apples and apples.

Let's get this back into perspective...

The Diesel's inability to get the stated MPG is what started this thread rolling...the Petrol appears to exceed this in many cases...the Diesel simply struggles...that's the issue so far...

Even on the motorway, cruising at a tall 6th, the diesel only just exceeds the government/Lexus quoted "urban" mpg figure of 36mpg (or not in some cases). The "Extra Urban" for the diesel is 52mpg...so if we were talking highway type motoring, then that ought to be achievable to get anywhere near 44 mpg as stated in the "combined"...follow my drift?

There is a suggestion that the car may have "AI" and as the mileage increases the MPG improves due to ECU/MU programming (and Let's face it the dealers are saying that you should wait until the car get's to 4000ish miles...)...could be true...but that ought to be communicated properly!

The problem is that if we have been sold a pup, then we've gone past the 28 days no doubt by the time the car's at 4000 miles to tell them to stick the car!!

I don't particularly care if the diesel can hit 44 or 38, but the claims don't stack up...and you expect to be told facts.

Whilst typing this, spoke to the dealer. My salesman gets....wait for it....38mpg overall....over 43 on the motorway...!

At the end of all of this, I did not expect these question marks given all of that fuss about Lexus Cust Satisfaction being numero uno...

I'm totally baffled what all the fuss about that is based on...maybe I'm expecting too much, and the fact that Lexus have still not said anything about the rattling problems (my dealers still maintains they know nothing) shows they have a "lets keep quiet and wait for it to blow away" type attitude...

Oh, where oh where have I experienced that before:

Peugeot

Audi

BMW

Mercedes

Ford

Vuaxhall

....!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roonaldo, cheers for this. It's a positive step.

I'm waiting for my car to arrive, my experience etc, before doing the official thing.

What puzzles me is that there is no comm's between Dealers/dealers and dealers/LexusGB...another industry wide problem...

They should be doing this, not us!! Afterall, without us they would be thin air!

Roonaldo, cheers for this. It's a positive step.

I'm waiting for my car to arrive, my experience etc, before doing the official thing.

What puzzles me is that there is no comm's between Dealers/dealers and dealers/LexusGB...another industry wide problem...

They should be doing this, not us!! Afterall, without us they would be thin air!

Good news!! I changed the colour and now I can have one in early April...

It's Yellow with a green interior :lol:

No... it's the dark blue one... meets the rest of the spec so I'm happy. :)

Trouble is.... I'm away until late April! :tomato:

p.s. another thing i noticed is that IS250 drivers always quoting their one cool trip highway mileage. Now, with new direct injection engines and awesome 6 speed AT, cruising in IS250 should be quite nice mpg wise.

But what happens in city? Or on average? I find it hard to believe everyone drives strictly on highways.

It is all about comparing apples and apples.

Let's get this back into perspective...

The Diesel's inability to get the stated MPG is what started this thread rolling...the Petrol appears to exceed this in many cases...the Diesel simply struggles...that's the issue so far...

Even on the motorway, cruising at a tall 6th, the diesel only just exceeds the government/Lexus quoted "urban" mpg figure of 36mpg (or not in some cases). The "Extra Urban" for the diesel is 52mpg...so if we were talking highway type motoring, then that ought to be achievable to get anywhere near 44 mpg as stated in the "combined"...follow my drift?

There is a suggestion that the car may have "AI" and as the mileage increases the MPG improves due to ECU/MU programming (and Let's face it the dealers are saying that you should wait until the car get's to 4000ish miles...)...could be true...but that ought to be communicated properly!

The problem is that if we have been sold a pup, then we've gone past the 28 days no doubt by the time the car's at 4000 miles to tell them to stick the car!!

I don't particularly care if the diesel can hit 44 or 38, but the claims don't stack up...and you expect to be told facts.

Whilst typing this, spoke to the dealer. My salesman gets....wait for it....38mpg overall....over 43 on the motorway...!

At the end of all of this, I did not expect these question marks given all of that fuss about Lexus Cust Satisfaction being numero uno...

I'm totally baffled what all the fuss about that is based on...maybe I'm expecting too much, and the fact that Lexus have still not said anything about the rattling problems (my dealers still maintains they know nothing) shows they have a "lets keep quiet and wait for it to blow away" type attitude...

Oh, where oh where have I experienced that before:

Peugeot

Audi

BMW

Mercedes

Ford

Vuaxhall

....!

you still dont get it. Mileage issued by Lexus is based on standardised LAB-like tests, which can be repeated every single time they are done. Lexus does not issue their "own" numbers, nor they can, legally. What they issue is cold facts based on standardized tests required by law. For example, extra urban is probably tested at some 35-40 mph, not at highway speeds.

Clearly Toyota should have put 150hp D4D in IS220d instead of 177hp version, and probably get some 10%-15% better consumption, which is what their buyers expect instead of performance.

Although, interestingly enough, I have read enough comparos of the same engine in Corolla Verso where it got only slightly worse mileage than competitors which had 20-30hp less, and were some 2 sec slower 60-80mph. So I still think it is comparing apples to oranges.

As to the rattles issues, thats something else. If your dealer knows nothing it means they didnt have anyone come back and complain about it. You wont see any TSB's for Lexus for at least several months since that is how long it takes for complaints to reach the Lexus, get investigated and fixed, if this has not been fixed already and only first production cars had it. USA owners are not complaining about any rattles...