Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Forgive what may appear to be a daft question but is it a quirk of Lexus that my car will tick-over at 1300ish rpm from a cold start until it's warmed up? I've not experienced this since the bad old days of carburettors and chokes! Drove home 15 miles from works - parked the car - went back out 2 hours later and high revs at tick-over. Strange

Hi,

Sorry i cant give detailed answer as ive not owned the uk GS,my Aristo idles at around 1000rpm when starting from cold then drops to about 600rpm when warm,1300rpm sounds alittle high :unsure: .

The old LS400 i owned would idle at 1200rpm when cold which is normal,and the old mk1 MR2 would idle at 1500rpm from cold if thats any piece of mind for you..

Chips..

Forgive what may appear to be a daft question but is it a quirk of Lexus that my car will tick-over at 1300ish rpm from a cold start until it's warmed up? I've not experienced this since the bad old days of carburettors and chokes! Drove home 15 miles from works - parked the car - went back out 2 hours later and high revs at tick-over. Strange

Mines about the same, so is the Soarer and that's a Jap only car. I don't like it on the Soarer because of the turbo's and it doesn't do the auto box's in either of them any good engaging gear at higher revs. Both of mine idle at the usual revs after about two miles.

cheers for the replies - was beginning to think I may have throttle body gremlins - glad to know its normal but I agree it can't be doing the box much good engaging 1st gear at 1300rpm. I've had beemers, jags, volvo's and audi's prior to the lexus and all maintained a normal idle speed from stone cold start - why not lexus??

Mines about the same, so is the Soarer and that's a Jap only car. I don't like it on the Soarer because of the turbo's and it doesn't do the auto box's in either of them any good engaging gear at higher revs. Both of mine idle at the usual revs after about two miles.

Won't harm the turbos in the slightest, as for the autobox, well, it's designed to do it, so I'm sure Toyota/lexus thought of it.

Perfectly normal, although, perhaps slightly high, nowt to worry about.