Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boost

Will a new fuel rail be needed when fitting a return fuel line , uprated fuel pump and regulator?

NO! :D

Is it a big job the return fuelling etc as its a job that i have to get done.

YES! :D

I wouldn't say it is a big job at all. as long as the person doing it knows what they are doing it should be fine.

The only problem is having the correct fittings at the right time other wise you will be back and forth to get fittings.

slightly :offtopic: what went wrong with your turbo ?

From the day we completed the turbo work the car seemed to be very slightly smokey, even before the ecu was fitted. I also noticed that there was some very slight play in the turbo shaft before we fitted it but nothing to worry about. As time went on the smoke got worse and about 2 weeks before we removed the turbo there was a distinctive whining noise when the turbo was spooling up.

I contacted Jesse in the states who told me to check a few things first then once satisfied he told me send it back to him!!

The other thing is that a couple of people have suggested that it was not a ball bearing turbo as it should have been (T28 BB). I also questioned Jesse about this and he said he would check it out for me but seems to keep "forgetting about it" :yawn:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a tough one to call mate just going on the guys on this furom

spock 282 or round there .8 boost melted piston

roadrash 240 to 250 round there .6 boost safe as houses

imo i would not bother with injecters unless you do your internals and fuel return line fuel rail should be safe i will find out when i get some then you can play and see were what gives

Was the melted piston due to not enough fuel going in? If there is sufficient and correct fuelling then would this still occur? Or would it be the head gasket to go first?

If so, if the headgasket is uprated then is it possible to up the boost to say .8 safely?

i dont think h/gasket is a weak point i put a new one on mine its its metal very high quality spock had fuel goiing in it was the best way with a ectra injecter but it was getting more fuel may be the pistons at .8 280 bhp were spock had it was the weak point

its like mine mate when my injecters are in were will be the weak point head h/gasket valves springs no one realy knows i have spocken to a few of the lads on the MLR site they say cant see why you cant push it hard now with the uprated internals turbo may be the first to run out of steam my car will answer a few questions this summer with the injecters going in very soon

i dont think h/gasket is a weak point i put a new one on mine its its metal very high quality spock had fuel goiing in it was the best way with a ectra injecter but it was getting more fuel may be the pistons at .8 280 bhp were spock had it was the weak point

its like mine mate when my injecters are in were will be the weak point head h/gasket valves springs no one realy knows i have spocken to a few of the lads on the MLR site they say cant see why you cant push it hard now with the uprated internals turbo may be the first to run out of steam my car will answer a few questions this summer with the injecters going in very soon

Keep us updated mate how you get on. It looks like the internals might be my next project :crybaby:

No the head gasket is good.

It's made of metal which is fine.

The weakest point of the whole engine are the conrods.

They can break very easy.

As far as I know Spock's rod broke and the piston stuck or something.

Melted pistons can be cause by running too lean.

Broken rod can be caused by giving too much boost, or too high rpm, so the force on the rod would be too huge

and let it brake.

I wouldn't go over 0.7bar on stock internals.

I'm still running @ 0.6 to be safe.

The car pulls pretty good and I feel great to know it's safe. :)

EDIT:

@DAZ

In your case I would recommend a thicker head gasket after doing an injector upgrade. :winky:

And you can boost, boost, boost...... :blush:

@DAZ

In your case I would recommend a thicker head gasket after doing an injector upgrade. :winky:

i am in one of those situations when the injecters go in just like adie realy were is the weak link should not be the bottomend of the engine so it will be a matter of turning the boost up and listen to what the peaple who know say

were is the weak link should not be the bottomend of the engine so it will be a matter of turning the boost up and listen to what the peaple who know say

That seems to be the issue mate. No one really knows

were is the weak link should not be the bottomend of the engine so it will be a matter of turning the boost up and listen to what the peaple who know say

That seems to be the issue mate. No one really knows

Maybe we could start a new thread to discuss these matters. As a few people will be going down this road in the next year or so.

It would be helpfull for everybody if everyone with the knowledge of the IS and the 1F-GE engine to work together so we can clear up the grey area regarding the engine :winky:

Hi Guys.

Been reading some of these posts on turbo charging- its all good stuff but i want to get involved too... Ok i have a fresh 1999 Is200 SE, completely standard. I have rebuilt a couple of engines so am fairly mechanical and im looking for more power (as you do). What sort of money am i looking at to get the turbo charger kit with everything i need to make it fit, Ie, manifolds, sensors, piggyback etc. Also where is the best place to get em?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave.

Hi Guys.

Been reading some of these posts on turbo charging- its all good stuff but i want to get involved too... Ok i have a fresh 1999 Is200 SE, completely standard. I have rebuilt a couple of engines so am fairly mechanical and im looking for more power (as you do). What sort of money am i looking at to get the turbo charger kit with everything i need to make it fit, Ie, manifolds, sensors, piggyback etc. Also where is the best place to get em?

Cheers

Dave.

It depends on your requirements and budget really. There is a basic turbo kit I think made by TSI in the US which you may be able to buy directly or via www.turbo-kits.com. We evaluated this kit some time back and didn't really like it for various reasons but it is very inexpensive so it may well suit your needs. Alternatively we (and perhaps some other professional establishments) can offer really nice bespoke systems from around £5k. Horses for courses :)

Hi Guys.

Cheers

Dave.

We do a kit which has been fitted to 3 peoples cars. ad77 on here a non LOCer and my own car.

The kit is sold as a bolt on kit but its far from that :sick: after fitting the 3 we know all the hiccups !

Comes with a Garret T28 BB turbo which can be watercooled if you wish...My conversion has run for 13000 miles now with no problems.

We suggest a greddy e-manange to look after the management side of things which we can supply as well.

My car used to be supercharged and the turbo is far better with lots of low down torque.

Please PM me if you want to discuss this further :winky:

Hi Guys.

Cheers

Dave.

We do a kit which has been fitted to 3 peoples cars. ad77 on here a non LOCer and my own car.

The kit is sold as a bolt on kit but its far from that :sick: after fitting the 3 we know all the hiccups !

Comes with a Garret T28 BB turbo which can be watercooled if you wish...My conversion has run for 13000 miles now with no problems.

We suggest a greddy e-manange to look after the management side of things which we can supply as well.

My car used to be supercharged and the turbo is far better with lots of low down torque.

Please PM me if you want to discuss this further :winky:

Yes same as that mate. I used to have a supercharger but wanted more power. The only limits are firstly the injectors which I'm at the moment having larger ones installed by TDI and also what the standard engine is capable of.

Click on my username and have a look at the threads I've started as I have done a few write ups on the turbo kit etc :D

this is a tough one to call mate just going on the guys on this furom

spock 282 or round there .8 boost melted piston

roadrash 240 to 250 round there .6 boost safe as houses

imo i would not bother with injecters unless you do your internals and fuel return line fuel rail should be safe i will find out when i get some then you can play and see were what gives

Was the melted piston due to not enough fuel going in? If there is sufficient and correct fuelling then would this still occur? Or would it be the head gasket to go first?

If so, if the headgasket is uprated then is it possible to up the boost to say .8 safely?

Yes, underfueled engine will melt a piston (with correct fuelling this would not happen). No, I did not melt a piston. First I cracked the piston "wall" between the piston rings because of too advanced ignition --> detonation + N/A pistons = bad combination. Second, I think I just had too much power (=287hp/370Nm) for the std internals (rods) to handle. The boost used was .7 bar.

I wouldn't worry about the std head gasket. It's 3-ply metal gasket. I think it will take all the abuse you can give to it. In my opinion, the only reason to replace it would be to replace it with a thicker one to lower the C/R.

With std internals I wouldn't go for more than .5 - .6 bar to be on the safe side.

Daz is running .7 bar. Which is what I'm going to run in mine for the time being untill I do the internal upgrade. Problem being no one really knows 100% for sure what the engine can handle. As there are conflicting reports and quite a few have said .7 should be safe...

Broken rod can be caused by giving too much boost, or too high rpm, so the force on the rod would be too huge

and let it brake.

EDIT:

@DAZ

AMEN! :)

Daz is running .7 bar. Which is what I'm going to run in mine for the time being untill I do the internal upgrade. Problem being no one really knows 100% for sure what the engine can handle. As there are conflicting reports and quite a few have said .7 should be safe...

From what I NOW know, I wouldn't go for more than .6 with the std internals. And STILL you have to have sure the engine gets lots and lots of fuel, which is kind of hard with std injectors. At least without an extra sub-injector...

and let it brake.

EDIT:

@DAZ

AMEN! :)

From what I NOW know, I wouldn't go for more than .6 with the std internals. And STILL you have to have sure the engine gets lots and lots of fuel, which is kind of hard with std injectors. At least without an extra sub-injector...

I'm having the larger injectors fitted along with the HKS FCON V PRO so there will be enough fuel to handle the boost. The V PRO will also be able to map it so that its running correctly also. Have a look here

• 3 months later...

@ all Turbo-Lexus-Owner

I can just say: Check the wastegate for correct working! :ohmy:

Once I noticed on my Lexus some overboost and it was caused by an overstretched wastgate-stack.

It was just overstretched a little bit, so it opened a bit too late and the boost shot up to 0.8-0.9 for a short moment and fell back to 0.5-0.6 then.

This could mean the death of your engine, as we already have seen a few times. :crybaby:

So check the wastegate time by time for its correct working.

If it's OK and the problem is still active, then check your boost controller settings or the tubes

going from solenoid valve to wastegate. :excl:

Hope this helps for preventing further more engine-blows! :unsure:

@ all Turbo-Lexus-Owner

I can just say: Check the wastegate for correct working! :ohmy:

Once I noticed on my Lexus some overboost and it was caused by an overstretched wastgate-stack.

It was just overstretched a little bit, so it opened a bit too late and the boost shot up to 0.8-0.9 for a short moment and fell back to 0.5-0.6 then.

This could mean the death of your engine, as we already have seen a few times. :crybaby:

So check the wastegate time by time for its correct working.

If it's OK and the problem is still active, then check your boost controller settings or the tubes

going from solenoid valve to wastegate. :excl:

Hope this helps for preventing further more engine-blows! :unsure:

very good point mate this is what i am saying because you are playing on the very limits knowing .6 is safe even the best boost controllers wont have the time to react to the slightest problem especialy when we are talking from .6 to .7 to .8 realy for total saftey .3 is ideal setting like the supercharger but we do these mods and all live on the edge sorry to say i agree coil pack should not cause this problem but the conrads are has thin as paper

Yeah we all know how thin the rods are.. With this kind of performance upgrade you are looking to probably brake an OEM rod at some point.. As it goes I've probably just done it. As Daz has said we are living on the edge with .6 .7 bar etc..

Problem being not many people if any at all have pushed the standard IS engine so we are all finding out the different limits, variations etc no matter what people say..... NOBODY knows for sure.

If these things didn't happen we wouldn't know what it could take and wouldn't be pushing out or even looking for more power out of the IS.

Chris S snapped a rod running a standard IS with S/C.. so its one of those things..

Edited by ad77

so it would seem to be that the agreed safe limit for the IS2 is .5bar...

anymore and one can expect to live life on the edge lol...

Not really mate.. no one knows for sure. How come Chris broke a rod only running .3 bar with the s/c?

I could have run .6 / .7 bar up untill I actually had the internals done anyway and nobody would have been any wiser...

But as things go obviously .5 bar is alot safer. But who's to say you wont still brake a con rod?

As for living life on the edge, I guess thats just the kind of crazy cats that us Lexus owners are :lol:

maybe chris's was truly a faulty rod, who knows.. im just wondering how many others have had the same thing happen under extreme boost, did spock have a problem if i recall, cant remember the details or who else though..my brain is one of them wire mesh things sometimes

maybe chris's was truly a faulty rod, who knows.. im just wondering how many others have had the same thing happen under extreme boost, did spock have a problem if i recall, cant remember the details or who else though..my brain is one of them wire mesh things sometimes

Yes mate. Spock broke a rod too

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links