Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boost

What I don't understand is that there were already baselines established to show that the 1G-FE was not suited to even mild boost on the stock internals (Chris.S, Spock to name but two). By increasing your boost even further you were in completely unknown territory.....

I am in unknown territory myself with the IS300 conversion, but here we are going to uprate the internals BEFORE going playing around adding all the power components and boost. Before that supercharger gets anywhere near the car we'll have a proven block and internals (from Soop MKIV and Vertex data) good for 1,000bhp.

The chicken before the egg!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the baselines mate?

Spock was running .7 bar? rod broke

Chris was running .3 bar rod broke

Daz running .7 bar.. now had internals done , no rod broke (before)

I was running .7 bar overboosted to .8.. did this cause the rod to break? or the .7 that has been running for a while?

There's too many variables to say what definately caused it but yeah the rods are thin.. .7 bar is a lot to run on standard internals..

But as you said unknown territory running that, but if its not tried you'll never know.. The same with the gearbox. People have said it can handle only 400bhp.. who said this? where is the evidence? I might run over 400 bhp in the IS with the standard gearbox and everything is fine.. I might run over 400 bhp in the IS and the gearbox might break but untill then who is to say for definate.

Again unknown territory but like you are doing Mike we have to go into the unknown to find the answers.

Your baselines are right there Adie:

The lowest failure on boost occurred at 0.3bar and the previous highest failure occurred at 0.7bar. Therefore you were not in unknown territory since it has been established that failure could occur anywhere between these figures.

The lowest failure on boost occurred at 0.3bar and the previous highest failure occurred at 0.7bar. Therefore you were not in unknown territory since it has been established that failure could occur anywhere between these figures.

I get what you are saying mate but with failure possible of anywhere between .3 and .7 then what is a safe boost to run? If it was thought that the rod is going to go anywhere between these boost pressures then you'd be afraid to run any boost at all. I was enquiring and asking around before upping the boost about safe pressure to run and came to the conclusion that .7 should be safe. I was also told that .5 bar would be too much to run, but had no probs with running that. If a rod had broken on .5 bar then it would have been "told you so" . The engine is not designed to be running boost in the first place.

That's why I always told ya: "Don't get over 0.6bar!" ;)

Maybe the engine can take a bit more like 0.7,

but with a little overboost you hit 0.8-0.9 easily and *BANG* :crybaby:

Mine didn't brake because at this time when I had the overboost problem, I still had the stock fuel system,

so the car just started stuttering but didn't pull any more, cause it didn't get enough fuel for 0.8bar.

But it could get dangerous with upgraded fuel system, when the car starts to pull more and more at overboost, then it can happen like on Adie, Spock or somebody. :yawn:

maybe chris's was truly a faulty rod, who knows.. im just wondering how many others have had the same thing happen under extreme boost, did spock have a problem if i recall, cant remember the details or who else though..my brain is one of them wire mesh things sometimes

Yes mate. Spock broke a rod too

was there anyone else,, roadrash, did you/he have probs

I believe Chris Shipleys was engine component failure which is why Lexus GB paid up.

Prolex-UK refuse to increase boost above .5 bar period on a standard 1G-FE engine.

Aside from boost there are other issues one of which not mentioned to date ... was the fuelling right or running lean ?

There are many things it could have been and we can debate it for ages.

End of the day it is a bummer so please accept my condolences...

BTW I have 2 1g-gte engines and 2 1g-fe engines tucked away............along with 1 1jz-gte and 2 2jz-gtes :winky:

mine has run .8 more than once there are no base lines untill it happens otherwise every one would run .7 and not think twice i have thrashed the nuts of mine with standard internals hitting .7.8 mine will not boost below .6 even if you set the controllerto .3 the setup i have makes .6 even if you switch the boost conroller off

mine has run .8 more than once there are no base lines untill it happens otherwise every one would run .7 and not think twice i have thrashed the nuts of mine with standard internals hitting .7.8 mine will not boost below .6 even if you set the controllerto .3 the setup i have makes .6 even if you switch the boost conroller off

The baselines are those where failure has occurred; between 0.3 and 0.8bar

so if these are the baselines superchargers are unsafe without internals

IMO any sort of forced induction on a engine that was not desigened for forced induction is a risk fullstop sticking a free flow air filter and zorst makes the life span of your engine half according to manufacters but we all doit and run over 100000 plus with not a thought

this is not correct i have said mine will only run .6 even if you set it to .3 been setup on this over 2 years run .8 many times no one else i know has run .8 mine has not failed does not matter who sets my car up wont run below .6 so does this mean i am lucky or i have the supperior setup

Well i think all the ppl pushing the engines is good because at least now ppl can make there own decsions on what boost to run, i think saying 0.3 bar is unsafe is a bit silly because of the amount of supercharged cars out there, getting to 0.6-0.8 your going to get things that are at a very high risk of breaking, but then it all depends on how much the engine and parts are worn etc. some might be safer becasue there newer some might be safer becasue there more worn and have been run in properly, it goes on and on.

I say good job and good luck to people pushing there cars to the limits.

Also sounds a bit harsh but there is a good thing about addie blowing his engine, hes going to get the internal done now instead of later, so we dont have to wait as long :D :D

adie sorry for crapping your thread up mate have this deleted if you like because 95% is theory anyway

no worries. Its good to discuss all this so we can find out what we can and can't do with the engine. This is why we are pushing it to and beyond the limits.. But I agree most is still theory because its being based on 2 cars that have broken rods, mine and Sami's, where as your car was fine on the standard internals. No one else to my knowledge has pushed the car as far on standard internals. My appologies if there is somebody.

As said mine could have been a factor of things to have broken a rod. More than likely though it was the power.

If a mod could please move all the boost discussion to my other thread about boost Here

Then I could keep this one dedicated to work done.

Thankyou

Mike you dont need to have "experience in mechanical engineering before you qualify to speak any sense here"

If there x amount of s/c cars and only 1 that has its rod break i beleive i herd TDI speak of another so lets say 2 that i know of you can pretty surley say that 0.3 bar is a safe boost to run.

As for running higher boost on an IS you have no experience of that yourself yet your only going on what others have said

Mike you dont need to have "experience in mechanical engineering before you qualify to speak any sense here"

If there x amount of s/c cars and only 1 that has its rod break i beleive i herd TDI speak of another so lets say 2 that i know of you can pretty surley say that 0.3 bar is a safe boost to run.

As for running higher boost on an IS you have no experience of that yourself yet your only going on what others have said

If you know anything about anything :o you will know that when chris's car went bang :o it had nothing to do with running s/c or at .3 bar, so if you here of TDI speak of anything, please ask them to get the Facts 1st :D

Where a conrod fails, will tell you all you will want to know about what happend, and chris's car told the story :o nothing to do with s/c or .3 bar :D

So what was the other s/c car that failed :question:

If you know anything about anything :o you will know that when chris's car went bang :o it had nothing to do with running s/c or at .3 bar, so if you here of TDI speak of anything, please ask them to get the Facts 1st :D

Where a conrod fails, will tell you all you will want to know about what happend, and chris's car told the story :o nothing to do with s/c or .3 bar :D

So what was the other s/c car that failed :question:

as far as i am aware TDI didnt say anything about chris`s car , and i think im right in saying that ellz didnt imply that

i know brief details, but im sure mark is the best one to ask about the s/c car that failed

other one was the first to get done..........guy drove over a speed bump and kn**CKERED HIS ZORST..........DIDNT DO WHAT mARK SAID.......ENGINE BLEW DUE TO too much back pressure (92% sure thats what Mark said)

Ellz...nice theory, but get yourself some experience in mechanical engineering before you qualify to speak any sense here

Personally I think Ellz's statements is generally fair overall, although I can think of a few other vocal people that your statement applies accurately to.

Aside from boost there are other issues one of which not mentioned to date ... was the fuelling right or running lean ?

Please explain in full technical detail how a lean a/f ratio will cause a connecting rod to break. I love learning new things :)

Please explain in full technical detail how a lean a/f ratio will cause a connecting rod to break. I love learning new things :)

I don't think that somebody can break a rod by running lean. :)

Running lean means -> melting pistons or turbocharger damage

Running correct A/F with overboost means -> rod brake :crybaby:

Running lean prevented my Lexus of rod braking during the time I had overboost so

the engine couldn't produce enough power for that disaster cause of too less fuel.

:winky:

Just speaking to a trade customer who's customers IS200 TTE blew up ion a test drive 3 days ago (running .5/.6 bar)...looks like the thread on the bolts holding the conrod stripped aloowing movement and bang she went (same as Chris S ???)