Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sidewall Damage

Parthiban

If you kerb an alloy that results in a slight cut in the sidewall of the tyre, does it need to be replaced, or are the sidewalls so thick on these kinds of tyres that its ok

Depends on the nature and depth of the cut. Have you checked with a tyre shed? Personally I'd consider changing the tyre.

Its really minor, just kinda sliced a bit off the side of the tyre, about 2 cm long and 2-3mm deep. Its not on my car, on dad's merc, I've told him to get it checked out but thought I'd check on here in case anyone's had any experience with it

Is there any off the cords exposed?...... because if there are it's illegal, personally i wouldn't feel safe driving with a damaged sidewall.......weakest point under stress and all that....

If you kerb an alloy that results in a slight cut in the sidewall of the tyre, does it need to be replaced, or are the sidewalls so thick on these kinds of tyres that its ok

Oh goodness! some of the questions on here make me wonder about you lot..... How long is a piece of string??? take the tyre to a tyre place and they will advise you - surely that is the obvious sensible thing to do, cannot inspect a cut tyre properly over the internet. Also you did not originally say it was a merc tyre, it was assumed you were talking about your lexus tyre. Cannot expect anyone on here to know the thickness of a merc tyre sidewall, or to comment safely on whether you should change it.... I am confused at these banal questions sometimes...... :o

Indeed...... lets have a look at your inners!..... anyhoo who was driving this monster Merc at the time? :unsure:

I'll see if i can get a pic of it, was my dad's doing, sadly it was a straight fight between a narrow london street, a coach and a vicious kerb, with the kerb winning :crybaby:

Oh goodness! some of the questions on here make me wonder about you lot..... How long is a piece of string??? take the tyre to a tyre place and they will advise you - surely that is the obvious sensible thing to do, cannot inspect a cut tyre properly over the internet. Also you did not originally say it was a merc tyre, it was assumed you were talking about your lexus tyre. Cannot expect anyone on here to know the thickness of a merc tyre sidewall, or to comment safely on whether you should change it.... I am confused at these banal questions sometimes...... :o

J33z, I'm guessing you've had quite a stressful day :o

Obviously the first thing I told him to do was to get it checked out at a tyre place, but they will clearly be quite keen to sell him a new one (a 9.5" rear tyre is not gonna be cheap) so wanted to get a rough idea whether this has happened to other people and whether it always needs to be replaced.

Sorry I wasn't that clear with the information, but its a Dunlop SP Sport 01 which is a very similar tyre to the SP Sport 9000s on most ISs, has a profile of 40 which is also similar to the 45 on the IS, plus people on here usually know quite a lot and are happy to give advice if they can :winky:

Therefore despite my lack of information, it wasn't actually necessary to answer the question, and for your information, a piece of string is twice as long as half its length :P

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links