Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crankshaft Pulley Fell Apart!

bigandy

:duh: Got my gs300 3 weeks ago, very happy until today. i decided to give her a bit of stick as ive driven like an old woman since ive had her. bugger shes fast, but "CLONK" no power steering and fan belt whine.

Got AA out, after a few mins looking we found the outer ring from the the crank pulley, the rubber donut had just given up and the outer ring was in the panel under the front of engine. Luckily no other damage but i have no power steering and squeaky fanbelt till pulley is changed (not really safe to drive).

So does anyone have a crankshaft pulley for sale for an N reg, late 95 gs300, or can you point me in the direction of a reasonably priced one .

Also do i have to remove radiator and all other bits to change, or can i come from underneath to do the job.

Thanks

BigAndy

Hi Andy and Welcome to the LOC :)

Sorry to hear about the car problems sounds like it could have been alot worse :ohmy:

Try giving John a call at swift salvage they can more than likely help with the parts your looking for.They can post the parts to you no problem ;)

Good Luck

Chips..

Must be losing my marbles, thought I'd replied to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :Doh:

If it were me, I'd get a new one from Lexus/Toyota, just as likely to happen again with a used one.

Believe you don't need to remove the radiator, but not totally sure.

If it's near cambelt change time, I'd do it at the smae time (it's got to come anyway)

Do you mean the cam belt has to come off to replace the pulley?

The AA man said it was just a matter of chocking the engine still and removing the bolt in the center of the pulley and replacing the pulley. cam belt was replaced 20,000 miles ago, so should be fine still.

i was hoping access would be the only problem.

cheers

BigAndy

yes i would say you will need a new one rather than a second hand one, we had a few problems with these on supras and it was mainly with older cars so getting a brand new one is the only way to go. I would go as far to say if your car is an early mk1 model then when you get the belt changed you should also get the crank pulley changed aswell.

Ok so if getting a new one is the way to go, can i get a pattern part (and where from) or do i have to go to lexus/toyota.

any idea how much a new one would be?

ill start looking tomorrow, had a quote for salvaged part, he wants £70, which i thought was a bit excessive.

ill try local toyota dealer tomorrow, is gs300 crankshaft pulley the same as any other toyota (supra etc) or will i have to get lexus?

cheers

BigAndy

My brain works to quick for my fingers and I end up leaving words out.

I thought you had to remove the timing belt, but looking at the repair manual, you can just remove the pulley.

The manual says to remove the radiator, but that might be just so there's room to get a pulley remover in there if needed.

The pulley is the same as the supra's, aristo's and GS's (all with the 2jz engine)

I imagine it's a Lex/Toy part only.

As yours is a UK Lexus, I'd go to Lexus to avoid any confusion.

HTH

My brain works to quick for my fingers and I end up leaving words out.

I thought you had to remove the timing belt, but looking at the repair manual, you can just remove the pulley.

The manual says to remove the radiator, but that might be just so there's room to get a pulley remover in there if needed.

The pulley is the same as the supra's, aristo's and GS's (all with the 2jz engine)

I imagine it's a Lex/Toy part only.

As yours is a UK Lexus, I'd go to Lexus to avoid any confusion.

HTH

theres loads of room with the rad out its not too difficult either just be wary of having the bolt heads off on the electric fan

cam belt was replaced 20,000 miles ago,

this could have been partly the reason for the pulley failure. The crank bolt can be a pig to remove and uninformed garages are known to heat the bolt to aid removal, which it does but it also screws the rubber damper part of the pulley and shortens its life.

Sorry it doesn't help you but it may help others avoid the same thing, and as you say you got off pretty lightly, the pulley seperating could do far more damage........

You change these crank pulleys without removing the radiator from underneath the car. You will have to lock the flywheel to undo the crankshaft bolt. If it has been of before it shouldn't be to difficult.

Think yourself lucky a mate of mine had his go on his na supra (same engine) it wiped out a helluva lot kit, shredded his cam belt smashed his power steering pump knacked his aircon pump i think as when his went it snapped the tensioner clean off and that did the docey do round and round on the belt before it smashed itself to bits.

• 6 months later...
hi, sorry to activate an old thread but i didnt want to start a new one, but i've had the same problem as above.

Do i need a speacial tool or anything to remove the crank pulley,

and would the following be the right part... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94-95-96...sspagenameZWD2V

Not sure if thats the correct part, im pretty sure it was mounted on a spline. Garage told me it was a really tough job removing securing bolt.

• 4 years later...

is the nut on the crank pulley left hand or right hand thread? ta

Hi

I had to change my pulley and its a normal thread. It will be hard to remove, search the forum for more info.

Regards

Hi

I had to change my pulley and its a normal thread. It will be hard to remove, search the forum for more info.

Regards

I recently changed the crankshaft pulley on my Vauxhall. The bolt is a stretch bolt and unbelievably tight, even with a 4' tube on the socket I couldn't budge it. Fortunately I was able to drive it 50 yards to a guy with a decent impact gun, he had the old one off and the new one on in 10 mins, I tried for 2 hours!

Hi

Regards

I recently changed the crankshaft pulley on my Vauxhall. The bolt is a stretch bolt and unbelievably tight, even with a 4' tube on the socket I couldn't budge it. Fortunately I was able to drive it 50 yards to a guy with a decent impact gun, he had the old one off and the new one on in 10 mins, I tried for 2 hours!

What you need is one of these, Sealey Tools Impact Bar Wrench 550mm 1/2”Sq Drive VS786, its the only thing to touch it and you won't need to remove the radiator.

There are lots of videos on utube showing how to get one off, but some methods are downright dangerous, like using the starter motor.

Hi

Regards

What you need is one of these, Sealey Tools Impact Bar Wrench 550mm 1/2”Sq Drive VS786, its the only thing to touch it and you won't need to remove the radiator.

There are lots of videos on utube showing how to get one off, but some methods are downright dangerous, like using the starter motor.

I even tried the starter motor trick, didn't work but it certainly made me sweat!

One of the problems I had was jamming the engine, with the impact gun it didn't need it.

I even tried the starter motor trick, didn't work but it certainly made me sweat!

One of the problems I had was jamming the engine, with the impact gun it didn't need it.

But you need to take out the radiator! with this tool 600 ft pounds can be obtained! thats some impact wrench and the rad can stay in, but whatever suits.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links