Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

From Symptoms: Sticking Caliper Or Disk Problem?

javadude

Brake judder cause  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Cause of brake judder that most fits symptoms

• Sticking caliper
    • Disc problem
    • Either/Both/Don't Know

I've suffered brake judder for a while. I've tried a couple of things and also monitored the symptoms. From the symptoms what are people's best guess at the cause?

1. Vibration on braking (possibly when not braking though barely noticable)

2. Worst while braking through about 40-30mph

3. Only happens after been driving a while ie, the brakes will be hot.

4. Vibration seems to come through seat/brake pedal and not really through steering wheel.

5. Brake dust worst on rear near-side wheel.

From all of the above I'm guessing that the rear near-side caliper is sticking once its heated up. I've taken the pads out, cleaned brake dust out of the way and checked how the pads are sitting. I also checked the piston movement while cold and it was OK.

I've got some old discs I can try in thanks to another member but they're not in the best condition and I know the rears are a bit of a pain to fit.

I could get seal servicing kit and piston and try that but its not cheap.

So before I expend effort/money I thought I'd see what anyone thought.

Hi,

Well the poll is 1 apiece on each :D i didnt vote.

Sounds like a sticky caliper.When youve parked the car up after a drive about so everythings warmed up, :excl: watch you dont burn your hand feel each of the alloy wheels near the centre,if the capiler is sticking then you should find the one alloy wheel will be alot hotter than the others,the longer your driving the hotter it should be.Theres a chance that the brake disc could warp if its getting hot and also cause the judder.Does the car pull to one side slightly well driving or under braking?

The problem could also be a worn wheel bearing giving slight judder..

Let us know if you find the cause..

Good Luck.

Chips..

could be warped discs, i recently had a sticky caliper which later siezed and i had no brake judder at all, just noticed the car pulled to the right (side of dodgy caliper) under braking.

pop it into the dealer and let them give you some so called words of wisdom!

Hi

I'm going back to a Toyota dealer next week as I am on my 3rd set of front discs (in 12 months) and the judder has returned again, (when braking at mod-high speeds, through the streering wheel)

Its doing my head in. Toyota say they have used Blueprint discs and that they cannot find any issue with the brakes themselves, so whys it doing it??? Starting to think I must brake to hard, but surely a Lexus can stand up to some punisement on the motorways?

Went on to Speedway site who seem to supply Blueprint discs and found the below information, I'll be sharing it with Toyota, and asking for them to check the "run out".

Should I also ask for Lexus parts, anyone know if Blueprint are any good?

Also when new discs are fitted should you also alway fit new pads?

Thanks

Disc Judder problem - Cause/rectification.

Symptoms: Vibrations are felt through the car with a pulsating pedal when braking. If the steering wheel vibrates also, this tends to indicate the problem is with the front brakes.

Cause: Usually due to variations in disc thickness (DTV).

Note: These variations in thickness are usually the result of excessive disc run-out caused by mating the disc to dirty or distorted hubs. When driving (brakes off), the pads are normally in close contact to the disc, however when there is excessive disc run-out the pads scuff the ‘high’ parts of the disc on every rotation and this scuffing gradually wears the disc thinner where most contact is made.

Imagine a buckled bicycle wheel, the brake blocks would catch the wheel rim (braking surface) at the same ‘high’ points on every rotation. Disc run-out is similar, but the rotation speeds on cars are slightly quicker and brake pads are far more abrasive than your bike’s rubber blocks. So when you’ve driven 2,000 miles, the pads have scuffed the same ‘high’ spots over 2 million times. Eventually the disc becomes thinner in 2 parts and causes a judder under braking. Simply replacing the discs without rectification will lead to the problem reoccurring.

Solution: Replace the damaged discs, inspect hubs properly and use a dial gauge to ensure disc run-out is less than 0.1mm (0.004” ) to avoid damaging the new discs. Alternatively the discs, if only slightly worn can be machined on the car so they run perfectly true.

Facts: If you fit new discs and they’re great for the first 1,000-2,000 miles and then you start to notice a very slight judder developing, you’ve probably got DTV caused by run out.

If you fit new discs and they immediately judder, then it’s probable (although very rare) that they have been machined incorrectly or a flaw in the casting.