Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

"cracking" Sound From Rear Suspension

Mr Morse

I'm running on HKS HiperMax RS coilovers which have been fitted approx 1,500 miles ago and have been fine up until recently with no knocking or tapping.

What I've noticed is a sharp "cracking" noise which appear to originate from the N/S rear and is most apparent when turning a sharp corner at low speed, but it also occurs going over speedbumps and rough surfaces.

I was think of the following possibilities:

1) A loose top mount? I'll need to remove the boot liner to check these.

2) A loose ARB drop link. Before Track Attack I removed all the wheels and did a visual inspection of the suspension and couldn't find anything loose.

3) No contact is apparent between the coilover spring and the inner tyre wall.

Any ideas / suggestions are most welcome

does it happen every time, or just when cold/hot etc,, are there any patterns to it..

Seems to be more audible from cold, although I can still hear it happening after running for a few hours. As I say, it's worst when making a slow, sharp turn (either way) or hopping a speedbump.

Get that on my OSR and reached the conclusion that it is the top mount moving against the body. Tried tightening the nuts but no difference. Cure is run some "3 in 1" around the top of the hole where the strut pokes through inside the boot and it will go. Not ideal but it works.

• 1 month later...

most coilovers are noisy and tend to do this. im running hks hipermax as well and have this problem. another person i know has tein flex and same thing happens, same as trd sus kit.

its due to a number of things, dominantly, the coilovers stiffen up the suspension, but your body isnt stiffer, thus it takes the grunt of turns/bumps as your body flexes. swaybars help but itll still be there. if you have bigger rims/smaller profile tyres the noise is louder too

most coilovers are noisy and tend to do this. im running hks hipermax as well and have this problem. another person i know has tein flex and same thing happens, same as trd sus kit.

its due to a number of things, dominantly, the coilovers stiffen up the suspension, but your body isnt stiffer, thus it takes the grunt of turns/bumps as your body flexes. swaybars help but itll still be there. if you have bigger rims/smaller profile tyres the noise is louder too

After checking the top mount bolts for tightness (OK) I couldn't see anything else that could be a cause.....but you have a good point there, the noise seemed to appear after I fitted new 18" rims with lower profile rubber

• 2 weeks later...

After checking the top mount bolts for tightness (OK) I couldn't see anything else that could be a cause.....but you have a good point there, the noise seemed to appear after I fitted new 18" rims with lower profile rubber

Yes I have 19's fitted with low profiles, *** it is noisey lol... so much I may go back to originals or something smaller... then again it maybe something else making the sounds on my car, but I do believe it was when I changed the wheels it started I have stock suspension so makes sense

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links