Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Group Buy - Led "pulse" Brake Light Bulbs

Mr Morse

The bulbs ARE available in the 1157 dual flament, bayonet type fitting. I'm waiting to hear back on prices for the 1157, may be a little more since they have more LED's

Mike

The stop lamp bulbs in the MK1 GS have just a single filament which I thought was a 382/1157 type bulb.

Do you think you could verify this for us?

Thanks

According to this link, the stop/tail lights on the GS300 Mk1 are 1157 bayonet type, dual filament:

GS300 Mk1 bulb types

Seems there is a difference between the US and UK specs.

I checked my bulbs today cos I took out the leds I had in the stop light as they were not bright enough and they are definitely only a single filament 382 UK ref as I have separate 501 wedges for the rear driving lights. I have no dual filament lamps at all (380 UK spec). Checked at Halfords also and found same info.

Problem is if the 1157 US spec bulb is a dual filament I can't make out what the equivalent single filament would be, however, I suspect it might be the 1156.

I'd love a set of these bulbs as you will know I have been playing with LEDs and have yet to find a bulb of suitable intensity. I think part of the problem is that the stop lamp bulb goes in at an angle to the lens so I really need a bulb that has LEDs around its circumference as well as the top.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

This sounds like a great gimmick and the sort of cr*p I would buy

Register my interest, if I can see a video clip of your lights first

Thanks

OK guys,

I'm back in the UK end of next week and will get an .mpg posted up - is someone able to host this for me? :D

I have about 300M free space on my site I think

First post has been edited to provide prices of 1157 bayonet type dual filament "Pulse" bulbs, these are bigger than the 7443 bulb and contain more LED's, hence more expensive.

The 1157 type will fit the GS300, MR2 Mk2 plus many other earlier models. Check the link below for the exact bulb type for your make & model:

Light bulb fitments

First post has been edited to provide prices of 1157 bayonet type dual filament "Pulse" bulbs, these are bigger than the 7443 bulb and contain more LED's, hence more expensive.

The 1157 type will fit the GS300, MR2 Mk2 plus many other earlier models. Check the link below for the exact bulb type for your make & model:

Light bulb fitments

Mike

As I mentioned previously I would like to take part in this group buy and I am now convinced that the rear stop lamp bulb in my Mk1 GS is a UK 382 ref (US 1156 ref) as there is a separate 501 wedge type bulb for the rear driving light - see here http://autorepair.about.com/od/electricalr...l/aa010502b.htm.

Is there any chance of you getting any of the 1156's if there are enough us Mk1 GS owners interested?

Is there any chance of you getting any of the 1156's if there are enough us Mk1 GS owners interested?

Keith, they don't make this bulb in a single filament (7440 or 1156) fitting. However, it's simple enough to convert a dual filament to a single filament by soldering across the two contact points on the base of the bulb.

Keith, they don't make this bulb in a single filament (7440 or 1156) fitting. However, it's simple enough to convert a dual filament to a single filament by soldering across the two contact points on the base of the bulb.

OK Mike

If they are nice and bright count me in.

I presume these will also need load resistors to trick the bulb out circuit due to the low current draw from the LED's.

mike, have you managed to cobble together a vid or pics yet mate??

really loving the idea of these bulbs :D

Been really busy past couple of weeks not spent much time in UK. If the weather is OK this weekend I'll fit the bulbs and get a vid posted up.

I need some help here guys!

I've fitted the bulbs, but the "pulsing" effect only happens under hard braking conditions and not when the vehicle is static.

Can anyone in the Notts/Derby/East Mids help me out to take some video on the move?

BTW the bulbs are brighter than the standard LED bulbs and much brighter than conventional bulbs :D

I need some help here guys!

I've fitted the bulbs, but the "pulsing" effect only happens under hard braking conditions and not when the vehicle is static.

Can anyone in the Notts/Derby/East Mids help me out to take some video on the move?

BTW the bulbs are brighter than the standard LED bulbs and much brighter than conventional bulbs :D

Im over Notts on Sunday Mike, I may have chance to pop round if its any good? Pm me your mobile number and I'll give you a bell tomoz if I can. :D

Sorry to sound stupid, but how does that work? How does the bulb know whether you are braking hard or gently? :blush:

Add me to the list of interested by the way...

i would have thought that the pulse should be present regardless of speed??

I believe this is how it works on the Merc too, its only under conditions where necessary that it pulses

I'm quite impressed if this actually works (and I'll put myself down for a set). Still don't get how it can possibly do it if its just a bulb - is there anymore to the installation than just replacing the bulbs?

I'm not entirely sure how these work myself! If Kaz can make it over tomorrow we'll take some video and find out.

Fitting is a direct plug & play, just remove the lens cluster and change out the standard bulb. 5 minute job each side.