Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Corroded Alloys

snake

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem.

I bought my 03 IS200 sport 3 months ago with 26 thou on clock and a full years lexus warranty, have done 5 thou since i bought it with no problems.

Until now... :crybaby:

3 of my alloys have started to corrode. :tsktsk:

Will my lexus warranty cover this as they were perfect when i bought the car and i have not curbed or damaged the alloys at all.

I have heard that this is fairly common with the lexus alloys and have seen many that have corroded alloys.

Which worries me that my warranty may not cover this defect.

If anyone has had the same problem could you let me know how you approached your dealer and what the outcome was.

Many thanks

As long as your car is still within the 3 years manufacturers warranty then you will have no problems. I am in the same boat, but mine is out of the 3 years manufacturers warranty but in the 1 year warranty when i bought the car (it is a 52 plate). The garage has said that they wont replace them under that warranty :crybaby:

How many time will they change them? It looks as if mine are corroding again after being changed about 18 months ago and the car is not 3 years old until December.

My three years is up but had full lexus 1 yr warranty included when i purchased the car.

Was told at the time that it covered exactly the same as the 3 yr one. (basicly the 3 yr was extended to a 4 yr) and would have cost £1000 for me to put on seperatley.

Just wasn't sure if the alloys were included in the original one.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

so did i......but they dont last long.....

If you want them to stay good for longer, take them straight off and give them a few more layers of clear coat.

I've had 2 sets replaced, car now 4 years old & needs another set. Both sets of replacements were refurbished! I found this surprising from a supposedly prestige manufacturer.The only other problem with the car was tyre wear, 2 front sets in16000 miles! ( IS 200 sport).

My IS200 was out of warrenty when i purchased it (T Reg) and the wheels were all corroded, as well as having some nasty scuffs. Toyota/Lex canturbury did me a good deal on some refubed ones.

£350 for 4

They started around about £650 for 4 but they said if i bring back the old ones they would refund £300. which they did. So i ended up with 4 refurbed wheels (they look brand new) for £350.

so if yours is out of warrenty ask if they can do that deal...

Spoke to the dealership on saturday and was told that they would at least refurbish them for me.

I will try and push them for new ones as the refurbs seem to corrode just as quick.

Never know they may give me a different set if i complain hard enough.

I must admit, i am very supprised that they have not done something about this as £600 every 12 to 24 months to replace alloys or £200 to refurb them is a lot of money. especially as it is tottaly down to poor manufacture/materials used in the making of the alloys.

I was told that they refurb them differently now so as to stop them from corroding so quickly but from what people are saying here that doesn't seem to be true........

I had my wheels replaced after about 18 months from new with a set of refurbished wheels, these were also replaced about a year later and now these are showing signs of corrosion.

Absolutely disgusting for a prestige manufacturer.

Unfortunately it is now over 3 years old and out of warranty.

:duh: :duh:

RESULT..........

Met with the service manager today and they have agreed to replace all 4 alloys.

Hooray for lexus........

Lets hope these last longer than 3 months.......

(was told 2 new alloys put on before i bought the car 3 months ago, shocking really that they only lasted 3 months........)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE......

Took car in for new wheels yesterday (sat 3rd) and left car with them while i caught the train into the certre of glasgow for a look round the shops.

Got a call saying really sorry but your wheels are not here !!!

They are not due to arrive till wednesday!!!

Well i was not happy to say the least so i recieved a very good offer from them.

The manager said that he had a set of 8 spoke accessory wheels in the graphite colour sitting there and would i accept those instead.

Too right i would, brand new set of five alloys from the accessory catalouge which you could only get if you paid for them at a cost of £1100 !!!

What a result !!!

And what service once again.

P.S to all you guys who have had replacement wheels but you car warranty has run out..... All lexus wheels come with a 1yr waranty which extends past your car warranty.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Lexus Croydon having had a full set of alloys replaced under warranty. :) Car is just coming up to 2 years old, so I shall keep an eye on the new ones for subsequent corrosion.

As expected, service excellent, although like others on this topic, I'm somewhat disappointed that the corrosion problem exists at all.

Anyone know whether the new IS suffers from the same problem?

Regards

Glyn

IS200SE Aug-04

26K miles and counting ....

Just got back from Lexus Croydon having had a full set of alloys replaced under warranty. :) Car is just coming up to 2 years old, so I shall keep an eye on the new ones for subsequent corrosion.

As expected, service excellent, although like others on this topic, I'm somewhat disappointed that the corrosion problem exists at all.

Anyone know whether the new IS suffers from the same problem?

Regards

Glyn

IS200SE Aug-04

26K miles and counting ....

Well my IS250 SE-L is one of the earlier ones so it's 8 months old. The original 17" from the 250 are on my IS200 Sport so they'll probably show some corrosion in a month or two if a similar problem exists.

The original 17" alloys from the IS200 need a re-furb. They were the second set on the car from new and lasted nearly three years after I took them off and gave them two additional clear coats from new. :huh: Looks like I may need a spare set to re-circulate every couple of years....although the 200 wheels may look a little odd on the 250 :D

Can anyone explain to me the Lexus business logic of not supplying fit for purpose alloys?

The company seem content to continue to supply poor quality wheels and replace them under warranty if customers complain. Surprising attitude for a luxury car manufacturer keen to impress.

My wife's Ford Focus has alloys. The car is used regularly, rarely washed and sits outside all the time. It's over 3 years old now with over 37000 miles on the clock and the alloys are pristine (under the dirt/brake dust).

So if Henry Ford can do it, why the **** does Lexus choose not do it? :question:

IanB :D

Especially as it could probably be fixed by something fairly basic, like upgrading the coating specification to a two part epoxy clear coat, It doesn't take much to sort it.

• 1 month later...

I spoke to my dealer about this while my wheels were being changed. And i can tell you that they have changed the top coat but it doesen't seem to be working. The other point i was told is that this problem is only aparent in the UK. No where else has this problem. Lexus recon it's the salt we put on our roads which cause this to happen. Lexus will not remanufacture all their alloys world wide for such a small percentage of faults in the UK. It is cheaper for them to just keep changing them till all the warranties are gone. Many people are also unaware that the wheels are covered by the car warranty and so do not get them replaced. Or that all replacement wheels have a 1yr warranty on them reguardless of what warranty if any is left on their car.

Hope this clarifies the situation for you

I spoke to my dealer about this while my wheels were being changed. And i can tell you that they have changed the top coat but it doesen't seem to be working. The other point i was told is that this problem is only aparent in the UK. No where else has this problem. Lexus recon it's the salt we put on our roads which cause this to happen. Lexus will not remanufacture all their alloys world wide for such a small percentage of faults in the UK. It is cheaper for them to just keep changing them till all the warranties are gone. Many people are also unaware that the wheels are covered by the car warranty and so do not get them replaced. Or that all replacement wheels have a 1yr warranty on them reguardless of what warranty if any is left on their car.

Hope this clarifies the situation for you

As a biker, I see this subject all the time in bike mags (plus personal experience). The Japanese bikes in particular have astonishing performance and handling, but if you don't religiously wash your bike after every ride in the winter (and no, I'm not exaggerating - I mean EVERY ride in the winter or when roads are still salted) then it'll look like sh*t after one season. Fairing fasteners, any exposed alloy, exhausts, bolts, sprockets etc will be covered in a layer of powdery aluminium oxide. The bike manufacturers use the same excuse 'it's your salted roads, nowhere else has this problem so we're not changing anything' - so they just change bits until the warranty runs out, and then you're on your own...

We're not the only country that needs to de-ice the roads - so what gives? Assuming the manufacturers aren't simply lying, what do other countries use to de-ice and why don't we use it?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is a 99/T

I had 4 corroded alloys inlcuding spare with kerb damage etc.

I wanted all 4 refurbished and on the same day, I cant be arsed with taking them off and putting spare sets on etc etc.

I found a company In Birmingham off M6 J6 very easy to find called LABTAP check them on the net.

They charged me £60 per wheel and £240 total as only had 4 done, did not bother with the spare in March!

I arrived at 0745 hrs and they were done at 1425 same day, I gave my car in they took the tyres off, refurbished the wheels balanced them and popped the tyres back on!

During that time I went to Star City whcih is literally 10 mins down the road had breakfast and watched MI3 the day it came out, played some pool and arcades and the car was ready!

6 months later they still look barand new as they strip the alloy, powder coat it, fill it, spray it then laquer it a few times!

So far no probs not even a blemish on them, the whole work was done in one day and £60 was a good price I think considering all of the above and not having to take the wheels off yourself to give to them etc!

B)

Or that all replacement wheels have a 1yr warranty on them reguardless of what warranty if any is left on their car.

I asked my Dealer if my replacement refurbs had a new warranty when I collected mine and he said "No, the warranty on them runs out with the original 3 year warranty" !!!!

How do you know that the refurbs have a 1 year warranty of their own snake??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi R1nG@

I was informed of this information by the service manager at Arnold Clark Lexus in Glasgow, where i purchased my car and got all 5 wheels changed to a different type as explained earlier in this thread.

He informed me that i had a 1 yr warranty on my new wheels, he also said that all replacement wheels had a years warranty on them which is why he replaced mine as my car was just over the three year mark but the wheels had been changed before i picked up the car.

They only lasted 3 months !!!!

He did say any wheels which had been curbed would not be covered as this could be the reason for the wheel corroding.

I would contact lexus GB and kick up a stink.

I'm sure they will sort something out for you.

Hope this helps.