Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 3.0 V6 Lpg Conversion

Hello everyone,

Please excuse me if this has been discussed before.

I am considering convert my Harrier (RX300) to LPG next week. Has anyone done this before???

The engine code is 1MZ-FE. Could anyone tell me if the RX300 using the same engine please!!!!

Is there anything I should watch out on the conversion???

Any info would be appreciated....

Felix

LPG has been discussed before, but it's an awkward one to search for as "LPG" is too short for the search system to use!

Ensure you get a Flashlube system fitted, this will lubricate the valves in the same way that conventional fuel does. This is pretty-much essential for all Toyota and Lexus engines. Search for Flashlube on eBay, you'll find it.

As far as I can tell it's the same engine as the RX300 (3 litre V6), but that's just from searching the net - not under the bonnet!

My 2001 Rx300 was converted last November and I can say its been great from the start.

Try to get the biggest tank that you can, mine is quite small @ 53 litres (where the spare wheel was) which gives me a gas range of 200 miles.

Gas here in Somerset is 38p Vs petrol @ 98p so the financial savings are huge.

I have failed to find any negative aspects to running on gas as yet. I now have a Lexus 4x4 which is cheaper to run that a Micra.

SJT

I converted my 1993 GS 300 to LPG nearly 2 years ago, no problems and still going strong :D . I also know of a GS 430 that was converted last year again no problems owner very happy. Over here in France LPG or GPL has its called over here is as little has 0.63 :D :P euro cents a litre has opposed to 1.30 for petrol.

LPG has been discussed before, but it's an awkward one to search for as "LPG" is too short for the search system to use!

Ensure you get a Flashlube system fitted, this will lubricate the valves in the same way that conventional fuel does. This is pretty-much essential for all Toyota and Lexus engines. Search for Flashlube on eBay, you'll find it.

As far as I can tell it's the same engine as the RX300 (3 litre V6), but that's just from searching the net - not under the bonnet!

:D

Mine is a Harrier on LPG using Vapour Phase injection. Its worth looking around for a good installer that can not only put in the conversion and take your money, but can also sort out those small problems that go wrong for free after a gas conversion. I am not saying there will be but...... Many installers just leave customers with a system that nearly works as they cannot map it correctly to the engine. You should also look at the quality of workmanship on the tank installation, as frankly a lot of them leave a lot to be desired. Insufficient bolts holding the tanks down, missing trim, and worst of all the gas solenoid facing backwards in the tyre well ( back left as you stand looking at the rear) Ok it will work but..... When you receive a back end shunt the valve is sheered off and the gas escapes.... The valves should face forward left, which does mean extra work for the installer, but safer for the user. Just something to notice

There are a few systems on the market mostly Italian or Dutch.

Fantastic response from our members!

Many thanks for all of you taking time to reply, especially Jaff – very helpful telephone chat.

I will do some engine work this bank holiday weekend (changing valve stams seals). And the car is booked in for LPG at "Gas Power" for next week. This guy has done few other cars for me. He is very good.

I will keep you guys up to date with my developments.

Felix

P.S.

You may want to read this to see that I am going to do this weekend.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=33011

:D

Mine is a Harrier on LPG using Vapour Phase injection. Its worth looking around for a good installer that can not only put in the conversion and take your money, but can also sort out those small problems that go wrong for free after a gas conversion. I am not saying there will be but...... Many installers just leave customers with a system that nearly works as they cannot map it correctly to the engine. You should also look at the quality of workmanship on the tank installation, as frankly a lot of them leave a lot to be desired. Insufficient bolts holding the tanks down, missing trim, and worst of all the gas solenoid facing backwards in the tyre well ( back left as you stand looking at the rear) Ok it will work but..... When you receive a back end shunt the valve is sheered off and the gas escapes.... The valves should face forward left, which does mean extra work for the installer, but safer for the user. Just something to notice

There are a few systems on the market mostly Italian or Dutch.

Did you install the VPI system from Prinz Autogas, the Dutch company?

I've visited them a few years ago for a tech support on a Racing BTCC Honda Civic-R running on LPG. They seem to know what they do and I would definitely go there for the LPG ECU calibration. And they are at an hour drive from where I live.

Cheers,

Fabrice

• 2 weeks later...
My 2001 Rx300 was converted last November and I can say its been great from the start.

Try to get the biggest tank that you can, mine is quite small @ 53 litres (where the spare wheel was) which gives me a gas range of 200 miles.

I have failed to find any negative aspects to running on gas as yet. I now have a Lexus 4x4 which is cheaper to run that a Micra.

SJT

This sounds great. Would it be feasible to convert an RX400h or is it too complex?

SJT

This sounds great. Would it be feasible to convert an RX400h or is it too complex?

Am i right int# thinking you can still run on petrol as normal if you run out of LPG, or do you lose the petrol tank?

An LPG conversion on a hybrid would be awkward. The engine's cooling system is normally used to heat the gas up in a device called a vaporiser. In the case of a hybrid, this might need some assistance in the form of an electric heater, and I don't know if these are available. If successful, the gas ECU would have to be reprogrammed so that it would both start and run on gas (the default on my Romano is to wait 25 seconds or until the engine reaches 25°C, this opens the tank-side solenoid, then wait for the engine to reach 1600 RPM, this opens the engine-bay solenoid and the system switches to gas).

Besides, running a hybrid on LPG? That's just tight! :lol: Still, if it claws back the money shelled out on an RX400h...

Am i right int# thinking you can still run on petrol as normal if you run out of LPG, or do you lose the petrol tank?

You are correct. The petrol tank stays where it is (although in some vehicles they can fit a smaller petrol tank to make room for a bigger gas one). If you run out of LPG, the system will switch back to petrol automatically.

An LPG conversion on a hybrid would be awkward. The engine's cooling system is normally used to heat the gas up in a device called a vaporiser. In the case of a hybrid, this might need some assistance in the form of an electric heater, and I don't know if these are available. If successful, the gas ECU would have to be reprogrammed so that it would both start and run on gas (the default on my Romano is to wait 25 seconds or until the engine reaches 25°C, this opens the tank-side solenoid, then wait for the engine to reach 1600 RPM, this opens the engine-bay solenoid and the system switches to gas).

Besides, running a hybrid on LPG? That's just tight! :lol: Still, if it claws back the money shelled out on an RX400h...

You are correct. The petrol tank stays where it is (although in some vehicles they can fit a smaller petrol tank to make room for a bigger gas one). If you run out of LPG, the system will switch back to petrol automatically.

Thanks for reply to both questions. Maybe by the time the warranty is runnung out there will be a neat solution! In the meantime I don't think I will bother :) Cheers, Billy

• 4 months later...

The warranty has expired on our RX300. Time to think again about a proper LPG installation.

I had a very good quote for a sequential vapour phase injection (BIGAS SGIS PLUS at 2600 Eur all inc) and donut tank i.l.o. the spare wheel.

Waiting for a quote from Prins (see above).

I'm still debating of its interest with the owner of the car (my wife).

I have a few questions to those who already run on LPG :

- when they say the tank is 80l of capacity, is it the actual volume of the tank or the amount of fuel you can tank in it?

- by how much approx does the fuel economy depreciate from running on petrol?

Cheers,

F

Tanks can be filled to 80% capacity.

I've got a 75 litre tank in my spare wheel well, it takes about 60 litres (give or take a litre or two, it depends on the pump).

• 3 years later...

Well you should use something like "lpg conversion" or "autogas" for search. Because yeah, 3 letter search keyword is to short.

• 3 months later...

SJT

SJT

Hi m8 i also have a Lexus RX300 2001 and wish to get it gas converted. I need some pointers on where to go what to look for in a good conversion, as in i dont want cowboys messing with my car.

talk to felix mate he is still running lpg minifleet with no problems and has very reliable connections in his area - he also keeps the most meticulous records of fuel/lpg usage you could want and gives good advise based on experience

all right, all right,

such a old post, and sold the RX300 ages ago, after it done 40K on gas, everything was still good, I got the missus a RX350 2 years ago, not LPGed, but I run an IS200 on gas, it's so far so good.

so PM me, I get you a good place to do your conversion.

Felix

• 6 years later...

Good evening,

I am both new to Lexus and the club site. 1st I am a lpg convert it's a great saving I have just sold a outlander 2.4 year 2004 which was converted 3 years ago I do not do lots of miles about 12000 per year car ownership 3 years I have saved £4000.0 in fuel prices less the cost of conversion £1000.0 a great saving. I wanted a classic car and found a Lexus rx300 with 73000 miles so I purchased it last weekend it is as we speak being converted to lpg so I will report on the result. If you live in cornwall and want a lpg conversion I would recommend a small garage in camelford with a very big knowledge he is very good garage is called lpg autos in camelford. I am looking forward to a long life with my rx300 if you need info please contact on 07929374115 

regards

Paul

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum. I also run an RX300 on LPG and it's brilliant.

Be sure to post some pictures of the car and conversion when it's done - here's a couple of mine:

1 - Flashlube bottle
2 - Gas ECU
3 - Gas reducer

It's an 85 litre tank and the fill point is in the middle so that I can fill up from either side

engine.jpg

tank.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Good evening 

I am also new to Lexus and the forum and considering a LOG conversion.

Any ideas for the spare tyre ones lpg tank is fitted there?

Has anyone used space saver tyre or the tyre repair kit?

Thanks in advance 

Dany