Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boot Lid Needs Vi*gra

And here it is with the "carpet" back in place with cutout:

finished.jpg

Actually, seeing that first pic and the bump-stop pad against the loop has given me an idea - I may try glueing a spring or maybe just a foam pad or something to the bump stop/s to dampen the last bit of the boot opening and stop the "bounce".

That looks brilliant, really neat install (almost looks like it was supposed to be that way)

Ok I really want this, but looks like too involved a procedure for me, does anyone in London who's confident to fit these want to share a set of struts and help me fit mine too please? :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

I have bought a pair of struts and found a bracket and some bolts etc. Would be fitting it in the car today if it wasn't raining outside... :angry: Maybe it'll brighten up later and I'll get it installed.

I have the second strut spare if anyone wants it. £20 + a bit of postage which is what I paid (£40 for the pair). Drop me a PM. :D

I'll post a pic once mine is installed but I'm sure it wil look exactly the same as those already posted.

• 1 year later...

I've done this on my car as well following the instructions on this thread and it works a treat.

I got a bit of Angle bar from work to make my braket, the struts from RS and voila. works great.

Because you can only buy the struts in two i made two kits and sold the second one to Lee_iceman.

So find a friend to go halfs with and off you go.

Stav

I'd like to do this, but the installation still puts me off (never afraid to try some DIY, except on the car! :duh: )

My main concerns are surrounding the bracket to fix to the back seat.......firstly where can I get one from? Is it something I can get from a DIY store (B&Q, Homebase, etc)? And secondly, how easy is it to fit it to the back seat? After that it all seems pretty straightforward in terms of bolting the strut to the bracket and the boot arm.......

@Jamie: These are the struts you'll need....... RS Struts

Sorry mate, me being dumb :blush:

The part numbers actually on the first page of this thread, but here it is again:

RS Stock no: 234-449

Var press gas spring,440mm L 6mm rod diameter

If you decide to go ahead, could you let me know how you go about finding the bracket?

Hi Adam,

did you fit that sturt in the end ?

Yes I did mate. But I didn't like it and removed it again. Didn't put pics up because it looked exactly the same as the pic already posted. It was a bit violent when it hit the top so some sort of padding was needed (couldn't let any more gas out or it wouldn't lift the spoiler - as I found by letting a little too much out of one of the struts!).

But the main reason I removed it is that the problem was the other way round - it was a bit of effort to close the boot rather than open it! If you were getting something out of the boot you had to put it down so you could close it rather than just nudging it with your elbow and it falling shut. In the end I just preferred it how it was before.

Parthiban: You can get some angle from any metal work place. You only need about 10cm worth.

Two holes drilled in one side to screw to the car and one in the other side for the strut.

I just drilled two holes carefully in the back of the seat and put a couple of self tappers in.

I don't really mind having to pull the boot down with the handle i prefer it opening when i'm walking up to it with the shopping.

With the bouncing up hard ive just put a couple of rubber grommits under the stops to cushion it.

Stav

• 6 months later...
I may try glueing a spring or maybe just a foam pad or something to the bump stop/s to dampen the last bit of the boot opening and stop the "bounce".

Did you solve this 'problem' in the end? I've just fitted a strut (finally) and I'm pretty chuffed with it given that I am generally pretty useless at such things but it is still a LITTLE bit violent when the lid opens fully. I've let quite a lot of gas out of the strut and wouldn't want to risk letting any more out. I had a go at rotating the shaft but this didn't seem to change the speed at which it opens all that much. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with the opening speed now and I'm not worried about damage to the car, I just want to 'dampen' the bounce at the end of the action. What did you use in the end?

Hello all,

Just wanted to add an obvious warning to anyone attempting this amazing mod. When drilling the holes for the bracket, please make sure the cable loom behind the panel is safely out of the way! :unsure: There was one on mine anyway.

Lee