Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Rattle = Big Job!

Steve and NetOne you are both so right. I picked the car up last night and even though it had been valeted and looked like new again, (Lexus gave me a bottle of Champagne to say sorry for all the trouble which I thought was a nice touch) , when I drove the car away (on the really smooth road from the Lexus Garage) it sounded great. This morning when I got up to go to work and I drove to work (along a normal uneven English road) it sounded like a bag of spanners. The car is actually worse than when it went in. Driving to work this morning was so frustrating I don't know what to do next. It's like Lexus has had my car for 2 weeks. Cleaned it, and gave it me back.

I still have rattles from the drivers side seat belt, there is an awful rattle from the door/air vent area like the door trim is loose on drivers side, there is a tapping from the airvent on drivers side, there is a banging like the dash is hitting the windscreen too now which is new on top of the tapping from the centre speaker on the dash and free of charge they have even given it me back with a new noise coming from the back of the car. Bargain......

Where do I go from here? Arrgghhhhhh

Steve and NetOne you are both so right. I picked the car up last night and even though it had been valeted and looked like new again, (Lexus gave me a bottle of Champagne to say sorry for all the trouble which I thought was a nice touch) , when I drove the car away (on the really smooth road from the Lexus Garage) it sounded great. This morning when I got up to go to work and I drove to work (along a normal uneven English road) it sounded like a bag of spanners. The car is actually worse than when it went in. Driving to work this morning was so frustrating I don't know what to do next. It's like Lexus has had my car for 2 weeks. Cleaned it, and gave it me back.

I still have rattles from the drivers side seat belt, there is an awful rattle from the door/air vent area like the door trim is loose on drivers side, there is a tapping from the airvent on drivers side, there is a banging like the dash is hitting the windscreen too now which is new on top of the tapping from the centre speaker on the dash and free of charge they have even given it me back with a new noise coming from the back of the car. Bargain......

Write to Lexus GB. They need to know about this so they can find fixes.

'gill.want@lgb.lexus.co.uk'

'steve.settle@lgb.lexus.co.uk'

Just to let you all know. My Lexus IS250 goes back into the dealers on Weds as they now have all the replacement parts, which were damaged whilst they attempted to fix the original rattle in the centre console speaker.

I have been rattle free since the fix in Jan, but had the damaged dash to live with since then :tsktsk:

Anyway, regardless of all this, I still love the car, the styling and the standard. Just a damn shame the dealer had two left hands and fingers like udders :duh:

it's_a_doozy.

What exactly was the problem with the rattle around the centre console speaker?

I am putting mine back in yet again on Wednesday when the Lexus rep will be at the dealership to try and sort out the noise/rattle. Seems like the local guys had no :tsktsk: idea, after 2 attemps. They have tried putting some sort of insulation around the wiring, I believe.

This is so annoying!

I was told it was the SatNav wiring loom, and that they has added some insulation.

To be honest the actual rattle sounded more like a loose screw bouncing on the speaker cone, and sometime when driving I would bang the dash and it would go for some time.

Turning up the ML stereo always got rid of any rattles and squeaks, especially near full volume :lol:

Good luck with yours, I hope they treat the dask with TLC, unlike hoof hands charlie who did mine. :yawn:

If you can not live with these rattles and insist to have it fix then contact Lexus GB but you must be prepared to accept the possibility of getting back a car with loosely interior and minor damage exterior. If you go back to same dealer for the fix then the same hoof hands person will have to clear up the mess and you don't know what he will do to your Lex when he's not happy, so insist to go to a different dealer. I have to admit that I've almost screwed up my Lex since I bought it brand new last September. I went back to the dealer almost every week for the fix of some rattles, woffle noise and some other minor issues. Until the end I've decided to fix some of the rattles myself and leave the rest to fix after a year or two. So just enjoy the car when it's still new as we've paid that much for the joy and prize.

If you can not live with these rattles and insist to have it fix then contact Lexus GB but you must be prepared to accept the possibility of getting back a car with loosely interior and minor damage exterior. If you go back to same dealer for the fix then the same hoof hands person will have to clear up the mess and you don't know what he will do to your Lex when he's not happy, so insist to go to a different dealer. I have to admit that I've almost screwed up my Lex since I bought it brand new last September. I went back to the dealer almost every week for the fix of some rattles, woffle noise and some other minor issues. Until the end I've decided to fix some of the rattles myself and leave the rest to fix after a year or two. So just enjoy the car when it's still new as we've paid that much for the joy and prize.

The car is now booked in again for next Monday. Fingers crossed. Thank you to Arkanoid for the email addresses. They certainly helped. :D

Aparently the receptionist was not passing on the messages I was leaving for the service department. Hence they didn't know I was calling and the person I was dealing with on the service desk had taken a few days off.

The engineer that came out with me did say that there was a rumour within Lexus that some of the first cars off the production line that were meant to be test mules to iron out early problems escaped through to customers. He said I may have one of those cars.

He also told me that there are 4 clips holding the dashboard to the car and two of these clips were missing on the drivers side of my car which is why the dashboard had come loose. Makes you wonder what else is missing.... On top of that he said he had never heard a Lexus car make so much noise from the interior squeaking, rattling and tapping. He said that he wanted to show the Lexus area manager when the car is booked in.

Something else that is weird is that the car is like a bag of nails on the way to work, but on the way home it is quiet and very rarely makes the noises. I wonder if it has something to do with the expansion of the materials in the car with the hot weather we've been having so when I drive home everything has expanded and fits?. I wonder if it could also be as simple as the material that they have taped the wires up with. It could be brittle when the material is cold and therefore makes a tapping noise against the air vent, but then when the material is warm it is soft and so does not make a tapping noise. Just a thought.

One of the noises I have pinpointed. The seat makes a noise when it is in it's lowest position, which is where I ususally have it. If I move it up 1/2 an inch, the noise stops. That's on the new seat that they fitted. So I can at least stop the annoying creaking noise in my ear. I'm sure they will just amend how low I can move the seat to stop it from creaking. But hey as long as it stops the noise, who cares?

I still love the car whatever noise it makes. Still, it's a lot less hassle than I had from the BMW. :winky:

Yes welcome to the rattle club.

had that done twice now and me satnav screen smashed by the dealer.

now the drivers seat has decided to join in with a loud creak when cornering.

the car is getting to be so musical i dont think i need the stereo any more lol

• 2 months later...

After my previous posts about the problems with my IS250 I wrote to Steve Settle and Gill Want at Lexus GB. They replied to me and sent an area manager out to inspect my car. I must admit I was really impressed with the Area Manager. He was dedicated to listen to every noise the car was making over a number of different surfaces and speeds. He noted them all down no matter how minor and said that he would like to take the car away to their technical centre by Gatwick Airport. They took my car on that day and provided me with a loan car. Anyway to cut a long story short and swapping cars 4 times, I ended up with a 400h with the DVD screens in the headrests etc. I must admit it was a really nice motor but was in Gold, sorry Champagne....

Anyway, Lexus had my car for 7 1/2 weeks. Yes seven and a half weeks. I got the car back last Friday with a full report of what Lexus had done to it and after driving it for a few days I can confirm that I now have a QUIET IS250. I didn't think I would see the day but my car is now quiet when it is being driven. This is now the car that I expected when I first bought it from Lexus and I can now enjoy it. It seems like a totally different car when you don't have the annoying rattles in your ears. The car is truely awesome.

The list of changes made included: - Insulation in the back of the front passenger seat as it squeaked where the passenger has their back, another new drivers seat (which is my second brand new new seat), a new Sat Nav antenna and system. new interior front door panels, new driver door window surround, new driver knee air bag cover, insulation around door speakers, more insulation in dash and around wiring looms and they also changed the centre console next to the cup holders where there was a chip taken out of it (which wasn't their fault).

So Lexus DID listen to me and fix the car to how it should have left the factory. I have been impressed with their commitment to get the car right although it did seem excessively long (this was due to the lack of available parts that were needed and had to be ordered in from Japan).

Anyone else who is having problems I would say that it is worth pursuing to get Lexus to put the car right. I did and now I have the car back and it is a dream to be in and drive as I hoped it would be when I originally bought it.

To top it off I got the call to say my car had arrived back at the dealers on Friday when I was at the hospital as my wife had just given birth to our first child. When i went to collect the car Lexus had a Lexus Teddy Bear and a bottle of champagne in the car as a present for my wife and the new baby. It made collecting my car that little bit better. :D

After my previous posts about the problems with my IS250 I wrote to Steve Settle and Gill Want at Lexus GB. They replied to me and sent an area manager out to inspect my car. I must admit I was really impressed with the Area Manager. He was dedicated to listen to every noise the car was making over a number of different surfaces and speeds. He noted them all down no matter how minor and said that he would like to take the car away to their technical centre by Gatwick Airport. They took my car on that day and provided me with a loan car. Anyway to cut a long story short and swapping cars 4 times, I ended up with a 400h with the DVD screens in the headrests etc. I must admit it was a really nice motor but was in Gold, sorry Champagne....

Anyway, Lexus had my car for 7 1/2 weeks. Yes seven and a half weeks. I got the car back last Friday with a full report of what Lexus had done to it and after driving it for a few days I can confirm that I now have a QUIET IS250. I didn't think I would see the day but my car is now quiet when it is being driven. This is now the car that I expected when I first bought it from Lexus and I can now enjoy it. It seems like a totally different car when you don't have the annoying rattles in your ears. The car is truely awesome.

The list of changes made included: - Insulation in the back of the front passenger seat as it squeaked where the passenger has their back, another new drivers seat (which is my second brand new new seat), a new Sat Nav antenna and system. new interior front door panels, new driver door window surround, new driver knee air bag cover, insulation around door speakers, more insulation in dash and around wiring looms and they also changed the centre console next to the cup holders where there was a chip taken out of it (which wasn't their fault).

So Lexus DID listen to me and fix the car to how it should have left the factory. I have been impressed with their commitment to get the car right although it did seem excessively long (this was due to the lack of available parts that were needed and had to be ordered in from Japan).

Anyone else who is having problems I would say that it is worth pursuing to get Lexus to put the car right. I did and now I have the car back and it is a dream to be in and drive as I hoped it would be when I originally bought it.

To top it off I got the call to say my car had arrived back at the dealers on Friday when I was at the hospital as my wife had just given birth to our first child. When i went to collect the car Lexus had a Lexus Teddy Bear and a bottle of champagne in the car as a present for my wife and the new baby. It made collecting my car that little bit better. :D

What fabulous news - especially for yourself but lets hope for other 250 owners who have yet to get the problem fixed. I just hope that the resolutions have been sent to all Dealers - mine goes in on the 19th to get fixed.

Thanks for the positive news and many congrats on the new addition - you'll need a Rx400h now to carry all that baby equipment!!