Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hand Wash Or Car Wash

Mr Flibble

Should the paint come off that easily? Or did the washers put the jet nozzle like 1cm away from the chip - the muppets.

I'm a bit surprised by this too, ever since the whole hose pipe ban came along, I've been using hand car washes that use their jet washers right up close to the bumper and bonnet, and have had no trouble (or have I just been lucky) :unsure:

I don't think paint should come off however close the washer is to it.......surely that's a paint defect? :blink:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should the paint come off that easily? Or did the washers put the jet nozzle like 1cm away from the chip - the muppets.

I'm a bit surprised by this too, ever since the whole hose pipe ban came along, I've been using hand car washes that use their jet washers right up close to the bumper and bonnet, and have had no trouble (or have I just been lucky) :unsure:

I don't think paint should come off however close the washer is to it.......surely that's a paint defect? :blink:

It came off because there already was a monster stone chip there which had created a bit of a paint-impact crater that lifted off with the jet wash nozzle when the water got under it so technically the stone did the real damage but the high pressure water just made it that big bit worse. That said: mine is a re-sprayed bonnet so perhaps the quality wasn't up to factory snuff? :question:

It came off because there already was a monster stone chip there which had created a bit of a paint-impact crater that lifted off with the jet wash nozzle when the water got under it so technically the stone did the real damage but the high pressure water just made it that big bit worse. That said: mine is a re-sprayed bonnet so perhaps the quality wasn't up to factory snuff? :question:

I would hate that to be the case, maybe worth a discussion with them?

Holding a high powered jet of water that lifts grime, and is capable of lifting chewing gum close up is going to have an impact on any damaged paint.

it's worth bearing in mind that signs which state things like 'we cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage' are meaningless, putting a sign up does not remove responsibility, (and in some cases can cause legal implications to the person who erected the sign, for example a 'danger - do not enter' sign).

although in your case, and regardless of any signs erected, the carwash operator could argue that his kit is designed for washing cars, and your paintwork was faulty, you'd have to argue otherwise, so wouldn't really be worth the hassle

• 1 month later...

Not used an auto-brush car wash for years -

Did use the hand wash for a fiver, but one day some a*** scratched it presumably with a press stud on his jacket.

Always wash it myself, but from next Saturday will use a co. at David Lloyd centre as my some will be doing it as a Saturday job - may be get a freebie

I take mine to the Hand Car Wash peope ..... fiver, and it's all shiney and new again :D

..... just watch for the dodgey ones who run out your number plate though !

I dont trust hand wash centres

look at the water, usually dirty from all the other cars

look at the sponges, usually dirty, and used without proper rinsing to do all areas on your car

cleaners are usually poorly paid fellow euromonkeys, with little if any language skills

i would pay them a fiver to keep away from my car ;)

it only takes 20 mins to give a car a good decent clean

if its kept polished reguarly it takes even less !!

whats run out your number plate ??

Definately a hand wash everytime (using the two bucket method)

and definately not using a sponge, a sponge is the worst thing you can use unless you really want to screw up your nice shiney paintwork.

There is a definate method on handwashing a car which will give you the best possible chance on NOT inflicting any damage to the paintwork.

Definately a hand wash everytime (using the two bucket method)

and definately not using a sponge, a sponge is the worst thing you can use unless you really want to screw up your nice shiney paintwork.

There is a definate method on handwashing a car which will give you the best possible chance on NOT inflicting any damage to the paintwork.

What do you use instead of a sponge ?

I use a sponge, but a seperate one for the paintwork, and make sure there is no debris in it.

What do you use instead of a sponge ?

I use a sponge, but a seperate one for the paintwork, and make sure there is no debris in it.

The best thing to use is a lambswool washmit as it works the same wasy as microfibre cloths do

i.e. the dirt and debris from the paintwork is drawn into the fibres of the washmit which keeps it away from the paintwork so the possibilty of scratching the surface is greatly reduced.

A sponge however will always trap the dirt between itself and your expensive paintwork so that as you draw the sponge across the paintwork you will always drag the dirt and grit across the surface,

end result = lots of scratches which stand out like a sore thumb in the sunlight and therefore spoiling the whole look of the car

Two Bucket Method (for those that do not know it)

Use one bucket for your wash solution (use a good quality shampoo)

Then use a second bucket filled with clean water (preferbly with a gritguard in the bottom) for rinsing the washmit in between dips in the bucket containing the wash solution, that way you decrease/virtually eliminate contaminating the wash solution with the debris you have just taken off the paintwork.

There is a little bit more to it than this but it'll give you the general idea.

HTH :)

Two Bucket Method (for those that do not know it)

Use one bucket for your wash solution (use a good quality shampoo)

Then use a second bucket filled with clean water (preferbly with a gritguard in the bottom) for rinsing the washmit in between dips in the bucket containing the wash solution, that way you decrease/virtually eliminate contaminating the wash solution with the debris you have just taken off the paintwork.

There is a little bit more to it than this but it'll give you the general idea.

HTH :)

Yep 2 bucket method all the way.

nice how-to here

• 2 weeks later...

i used to bring it to a garage to get hand washed . but no more i think im the only one that knows how to take care of my car now :( it may take 5-8 hrs to get it sparkling to the way i want it but at liest i know i wont scratch the car

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a contact in the local Texaco, get the jet washes for free whenever i want! is there such a thing as over washing your car?! I do it at least twice a week. Ive put a few small scratches on it though when the hose is stretched over the car. Whats the best stuff to use for hand washin?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links