Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2000 Gs300 Transmission

gs300sport

Hi

I recently purchased a GS300 (2000 model) and is a great car.

Problem is I am not sure if the transmission is not working correctly.

I will try and explain as best i can.

When driving around a big roundabout at about 10 mph or less when i apply the power gently the car hesitates.. the revs slightly raise then the car drop into gear. Similar thing happens in traffic or downhill at 10 mph.. when i apply the gas the transmission does not kick in immediatly.. the revs do but the transmission does not kick in.. sometimes it will *****.

Also when the car changes into 2nd and 3rd the rev slightly raise.. although the gear change is smooth. I was wondering if the slight raising of the revs gave it a smooth transition.

Am i paranoid?? the more i think about it the more i see myself trying to find a problem.

Is this common on the GS??

Few questions

1. Also if i went to a dealer could they run a diagnoses on the car to see if there are any problems?? Do there computers pick up anything slightly wrong?

2. Changing the transmission fluid... i noticed mine was not really red... its sort of dirty red.. if any red at all. Would this help? How much does this cost to change roughly?

3. As i am a new owner for just over a week should i reset the cpu? Maybe my driving style is bad.. i drive like a old man because it is sooo smooth.

4. After resetting the cpu would i need radio codes??

Sorry for the many questions.

cheers

Richie B)

Hi and Welcome to LOC Richie :)

I can only speak in general as i own the mk1 version.

When the autobox fluid colour is brown thats when you should be worrying.The fluid should be a sort of bright red colour.The fluid level could be low,you may know this but its best to check the fluid level after youve been driving for 15 minutes so everythings warm.Then with the engine running move the gear selector(have the handbrake on or foot on the brake for safety)right the way through each setting,pausing for a sec so its chosen the gear then park into park,with the engine still running then check the fluid level.

Low fluid could be the problem :unsure:

It might also be worth doing the ECU reset.Im not sure weather you will lose the radio code though.Im thinking take a Battery lead off for 5 minutes fro everything to reset.

It would also be worth changing the autobox fluid at some point,that will give you piece of mind.Im not sure of how much fluid the mk2 holds but for sure PUT the Toyota/Lexus stuff in as ive read that other brands dont mix well and its cogs up.

Id say the fluid might cost as much as 40 to 50 quid to buy from the dealer :unsure:

Until someone else replys the symptoms could be normal on the box,ive drove a IS200 Auto and that seemed to have alot of slip factor built into the autobox eg the revs go up a fair bit before you more off or accelerate.But that seems strange to me on your car model because of how much more power/Torque it has to the 2 litre IS.

On the worst side it could be problem wise,the autobox clutches could be worn and its dropping out of gear when no load/pressure is on the box.But other symptoms that run hand in hand with that is a banging sound/feel coming from the autobox when you get on the throttle as the box jumps back into gear.

Hope thats of some help and theres no problem with your box and its normal and ive typed all this out for nothing :D

Chips..

Hi Chips.. thanks for the welcome

The car has done over 90k.. would it not be that colour as it needs changing? Not sure what the interval is on the GS300 for changing the fluid.

The levels are ok.

The car itself runs smoothly... no sudden bangs or jerks

Hi,

If there are any faults with the gearbox then the main dealer should be able to find them like you say when they plug the car into there computer.Myself i would change the gearbox fluid,its a easy but can be a messy job that could be done by yourself if youve ever done any work on your car yourself,just make sure you buy a replacement gearbox sump washer and there should be no oil leaks from the bolt after its been changed.

Happy Motoring.

Chips..

Hi,

If there are any faults with the gearbox then the main dealer should be able to find them like you say when they plug the car into there computer.Myself i would change the gearbox fluid,its a easy but can be a messy job that could be done by yourself if youve ever done any work on your car yourself,just make sure you buy a replacement gearbox sump washer and there should be no oil leaks from the bolt after its been changed.

Happy Motoring.

Chips..

When changing the gearbox oil, make sure you use the recommended T-IV from Toyota and not any type of Dextron (even if its is a Toyota make).

• 4 weeks later...

I had the fluid changed.. they sucked all the fluid out instead of drained.

The fluid was jet black

I am gonna run this for a few months and then change it again so I can flush out the remaining old oil that was left in the torque converter.

£40

they checked out the transmission and they reckon there is nothing wrong with it.. i was paranoid.

I had the fluid changed.. they sucked all the fluid out instead of drained.

The fluid was jet black

I am gonna run this for a few months and then change it again so I can flush out the remaining old oil that was left in the torque converter.

£40

they checked out the transmission and they reckon there is nothing wrong with it.. i was paranoid.

cool. maybe ur sparkies need changing tho?

• 1 year later...

cool. maybe ur sparkies need changing tho?

Sorry being abrupt... didnt want to start a new thread...My Q being a newbie here that would the Spark Plugs be responsible for Sluggish Start as mine takes alot of time to move as I often floor the gas pedal and by the time it reaches 100km mark becomes steady... Could it be due to some AirIntake or Sensor malfunction issue? I get the Engine Mgmt Light on! I did the ECU reset yesterday, the car jump started for a couple of min went like a powerhorse but the moment the EM light came on... the power lost.... and it drove very sluggish!! any advise would appreciated whole heartedly. Thanks in anticipation.

get the code read at a garage and it will tell you where the issue is.

Could be a number of things from your symptoms but o2 sensor sounds a likely culprit.

but until you get the codes read your stabbing in the dark

• 1 month later...

I see all the same things that you're talking about with the "sometimes" slight hesistation to select gear... and slight slow pickup "sometimes". The rev raises, do you mean around 2k-3k rpm? As that's torque converter lockup and that's the super smoothness.

The "sometimes" thing - I've tried one thing out. It's the i- in the gearbox, the intelligent part working out your style, and quickly too. If you are driving in super-slow traffic and then take-off, there's a slight delay while the ECU works out what's going on. And the same coming down the gears. Try this... cruise 20mph, and then give it a bit of power - feel the lag there, a bit too much. Now seconds later, cruise again at 20mph, and do the same.. It'll pick up this time.

Whack her in sports mode, and try some spirited driving - the box soon works out that you're not messing around. It's all Lexus smoothed ECU algorithms to provide that smooth pickup over surging I reckoned.

Sometimes makes the the VVTi-ed 3L engine feel more like a turbo in response, but the weird thing is the increase in torque as the revs go up to 5k-6k. Weird after the 400bhp 1JZ and the other (standard hp.torq) turbo'ed diesels that I drive.

oh, and one last thing. Black gearbox oil is BAD news in an auto-Toyota/Lexus. There is a gearbox oil filter, but even the service recommendation is the life of the box. Basically, it shouldn't be black. Or just red?

• 7 months later...
I have a 1999 GS300, my mechanic says I have a leaking transmission (torque converter) that will cost $2,000. to fix? Has anyone had a similar experience?

If he is talking about the seal between the torque converter and the gearbox leaking, then I would be surprised if it would cost that much to fix unless your mechanic is at the Lexus main dealer.