Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Fuel Economy Fixes?

(Sarcasm Warning)

I think I can now clarify the injector issue.

I called my dealer this morning and they got on to Lexus Ireland.

Lexus Ireland have not been informed of any mods.

There have been no complaints about the diesel engine.

When they heard I was responding to a website post they advised me not to pay attention to these.

"It is usually one guy with a gripe who starts all this."

"The reason the 6th gear is useless is because the car was designed for countries like the US and the UK where they have lots of motorways and speed limits on motorways are much higher so they can use 6th gear."

I am now suitably chastened.

Jim

Sometimes I wish people like that would just keep their mouth shut and not say anything rather then try to fob you off with incorrect information.

Yes there are more motorways in the UK and USA but the speed limit here is higher then the UK in all cases (UK limit is 70mph) and the US in most States the Limit is 70mph and 80mph on some interstate routes.

Our limit is 120km/h (74.5mph) all of 5.5mph less then the highest in the US.

Guys -

I too have a query with my dealer on this injector mod, and am patiently waiting for them to investigating it thoroughly.

This forum is a very good place to go through these things, and raise concerns with LGB and the dealers. Believe me, LGB take this forum seriously (as do dealers - I know this from personal experience), but the original comment states a response "to a website". Were they aware that it was the LOC, not just a Joe Blogg's 'blogg?

I know from first hand experience, and the dealers can easily work who's pseudonym is who in terms of a real person, and anyone misrepresenting a situation on here will get caught out, I'm sure.

So, bottom line is we should trust what people put on here, and question the dealers. That's where the forum pays dividends (and we get VFM for paying the Gold fee).

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is starting to confuse me. So need a lead I have a lexus 220d got it the Sept 06, seems to being doing 35MPG around town, is this accepatble or is it below par. Will i have the new injectors, and finally athe car still labours below 70MPH in 6th Gear, is then indicating i dont have the new injectors...help

This thread is starting to confuse me. So need a lead I have a lexus 220d got it the Sept 06, seems to being doing 35MPG around town, is this accepatble or is it below par. Will i have the new injectors, and finally athe car still labours below 70MPH in 6th Gear, is then indicating i dont have the new injectors...help

Jim - rest easy pal.

Yours I am sure is OK. If you're getting 35mpg in town then I WANT YOUR INJECTORS... :lol:

I get 26-31 if I'm really carefull and don't get too impeded by red lights :winky: . This can drop to 18-22mpg on a cold engine or lots of starts and stops. And I don't cain it!

As an example since last week, I have done 100 miles from a full tank, all town, and it reads 22.4mpg tank average. I could have got that with an IS250!

From what I have been LED to believe the injector issue was for a few cars made early - Jan-March 06. Mine was registered 17th March 06 (arrived in UK on 9th March), manufactured probably in late Jan/early Feb with possibly first batch of parts.

I have had the injector mod and was told by my dealer that it ONLY is required for early IS220ds - mine is Jan 06.

Prior to the mod I was only getting mid 30s on a motorway run when other IS220d owners were getting mid 40s. I also couldn't use 6th gear at anything less than 75 mph.

Since then I'm in the mid 40 camp and can comfortably use 6th gear at 60 - 65 mph; there still isn't much acceleration in this gear at this speed, but the engine no longer labours or harshly vibrates.

...still nothing. Having called my local 3 times, I have given up. Have called Coventry and they are aware of a very small number of cars needing a 5th Injector changeout. They have done one so far.

Very polite, courteous, told me she may not be able to call me today, but will look at the bulletin and call me asap. I feel far more confident with this dealer on one contact than I do with my local one - where I shelled out £27,273!

Nothing changes does it...???

see post #79:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...30429&st=75

It looks like the injector problem (#5th injector and Fuel pump issue) was for a specific, non-poor mpg related issue - whereby the car would stall after starting.

I had all the injectors swapped out and the difference is night and day. I'm now happy that I bought the car which was advertised on the web site and it drives and feels like a Lexus should.

This is the sort of "brick wall" treatment we were getting when the cars were rattling. No one at Lexus except the owners (for ages) accepted that there was a problem...

I suppose mine is returning 40+mpg if I drive it slow...and what's worrying is that it is so inconsistent.

Everyone says it drives almost like a Sport. Mine doesn't - at times it is really sluggish. Might have to call Poole...or I'll just learn to live with it.

EDIT - I only want them to confirm that mine is or is not affected by any Injector issue. Can't be that hard?

This is the sort of "brick wall" treatment we were getting when the cars were rattling. No one at Lexus except the owners (for ages) accepted that there was a problem...

I suppose mine is returning 40+mpg if I drive it slow...and what's worrying is that it is so inconsistent.

Everyone says it drives almost like a Sport. Mine doesn't - at times it is really sluggish. Might have to call Poole...or I'll just learn to live with it.

EDIT - I only want them to confirm that mine is or is not affected by any Injector issue. Can't be that hard?

Jamboo, a good indication is if you can do 60 - 65 mph in sixth gear and still accelerate when you press the pedal - not fast mind you, but you get acceleration. I caught myself going up a hill the other day in 6th gear at 60 mph, not something I could possibly have done prior to the mod.

Other changes I've noticed:

* I can feel the turbo kick in when I accelerate hard in second/third; although it doesn't last long it's a positive surge of power.

* In sixth at 65 mph I'm getting about 47-50 mpg - it doesn't last long because I'm a bit impatient, but I've tried it a few times and been really surprised.

* Sixth gear/65 mph has much less vibration, especially the mirror - you can now work out whether the car behind is being driven by a male/female B)

As I said on my other post, Lexus GB are well aware of the problem and the solution that Poole have offered (not just to me). Hopefully you'll hear some positive news soon.

Could someone advise me as I am new to Lexus cars, if I should get Lexus to look at mine (IS 220d Sport)..... I have had the car for nearly 2 months and it has now done about 5500 miles. All my tanks have an average of 36mpg :blink: Lexus.co.uk say "Combined (mpg/l/100 km) 39.2/7.2" but no figures for the others :question: Most of my driving is on country roads and most between 50 - what every I can get mph :winky: (if you know what I mean) I was hoping for a few more mpg at least 40-45mpg :excl:

My internal mirror and passage seat rattle like :tsktsk:

Could someone advise me as I am new to Lexus cars, if I should get Lexus to look at mine (IS 220d Sport)..... I have had the car for nearly 2 months and it has now done about 5500 miles. All my tanks have an average of 36mpg :blink: Lexus.co.uk say "Combined (mpg/l/100 km) 39.2/7.2" but no figures for the others :question: Most of my driving is on country roads and most between 50 - what every I can get mph :winky: (if you know what I mean) I was hoping for a few more mpg at least 40-45mpg :excl:

My internal mirror and passage seat rattle like :tsktsk:

I was told that it was only a problem on Jan-Mar IS220d non-sport model

Cheers Scott - I have a longish run on Friday and will run it more at below 75 in 6th and see what happens.

I can use 6th below 75 (even down to 62-3mph), but it's jekyl and hyde. Some times it's OK, other times the thrum is un-nerving. Even on flat roads. The rear view mirror is almost useless at times.

After a long hard think, I've decided to put up with it with for a while, and see if it improves. If not, I'll have to do something.

This whole debate started really 'cos I wanted confirmation that mine wasn't affected. I don't think it is - but I want Lexus to confirm it, and also acknowledge if there is a problem with some cars and proactively do something. We all remember all too well the early responses from Lexus regarding rattles.

I'm sure mine would have been built Jan or early Feb for it to have made it to the UK by 9th March.

I'm not trying to blow this out of proportion or anything like that - more asking a question which I believe should have a simple answer.

Finally, I still cannot believe that my local dealer has failed to call me back 3 times. It's totally unacceptable. When they wanted the cash it was all roses. This issue will go to the DP. He told me to tell him so I will.

I can use 6th below 75 (even down to 62-3mph), but it's jekyl and hyde. Some times it's OK, other times the thrum is un-nerving. Even on flat roads. The rear view mirror is almost useless at times.

It does sound like your car is behaving differently to mine. Mine was delivered at the end of May and with just over 2,750 miles on the clock, I can use 6th from just under 50mph (equating to about 1,000 rpm). The acceleration at that speed is fairly glacial, but it's happy enough with no thrum or vibration - even on quite an incline. Yes, I did check - it's not a Sport (if it is, I'm missing some bigger wheels and a few toys!).

Economy hasn't improved dramatically from new, but I'm still pleased with it. In urban stop-start driving it won't go below 30 (about 32 as a minimum with enthusiastic driving, 35+ otherwise - based on a short trip from a cold start). Motorways and longer trips are comfortably into the high 40s/low 50s without needing to try.

To me, it seems there's either some dramatic variablility between cars, or there is a genuine problem with cars of an earlier build.

It does sound like your car is behaving differently to mine. Mine was delivered at the end of May and with just over 2,750 miles on the clock, I can use 6th from just under 50mph (equating to about 1,000 rpm). The acceleration at that speed is fairly glacial, but it's happy enough with no thrum or vibration - even on quite an incline. Yes, I did check - it's not a Sport (if it is, I'm missing some bigger wheels and a few toys!).

Economy hasn't improved dramatically from new, but I'm still pleased with it. In urban stop-start driving it won't go below 30 (about 32 as a minimum with enthusiastic driving, 35+ otherwise - based on a short trip from a cold start). Motorways and longer trips are comfortably into the high 40s/low 50s without needing to try.

To me, it seems there's either some dramatic variablility between cars, or there is a genuine problem with cars of an earlier build.

Romaro - cheers. Makes me feel better (actually does) because this is a yardstick for me to measure against. Scott - do you agree with Romaro's experience? Anyone else running a post May 2006 220d (non Sport) agree? Alan (alpappy)?

I have a 300 mile run tomorrow and I will try...and report back. Else escalate at local dealer.

Romaro - you will notice things improve at around 4000 miles...

Romaro - cheers. Makes me feel better (actually does) because this is a yardstick for me to measure against. Scott - do you agree with Romaro's experience? Anyone else running a post May 2006 220d (non Sport) agree? Alan (alpappy)?

Mostly...

I tried to go below 60mph in sixth yesterday and found that it wasn't really viable - the thrum and vibration kick back in; certainly couldn't get 50 mph :(

Economy wise:

* around town - never seen it go below 35 mpg since the mod.

* motorway with a heavy foot - 42 mpg+

* motoroway with a light foot (legal speeds) - 45 - 50mpg easy

I agree with scott. Had mine since may and now done 10,000 miles. I'm not particlaurly happy with my mpg but it doesn't seem that bad compared to some.

low 30's around town (35 if really careful)

low 50's if cruisng on motorway 60-65 in 5th

mid 40's if cruising 70-75 in 6th. my 6th is unuseable below 65

As an aside I am getting my first service done in a couple of weeks so is there anything i should mention to the dealer (lexus coventry). Only gripe i have is that my doors don't auto-lock at any speed. Not sure if there is anypoint in complaining about vibrating mirror or boot only opeing 1-inch when released....

I am now getting really hacked off with the 'Agree' button on satnav startup and wish someone would find a fix!!

I am now getting really hacked off with the 'Agree' button on satnav startup and wish someone would find a fix!!

I'm keeping an eye on the vaistech SoundLinQ product which will allow me to control my iPod using the Nav system.

It also appears that they offer a bypass mode for the agree message, although it doesn't appear to work on all Lexus models.

Bypass SatNav Agree Message

I'm waiting for the iPod Video support and hoping that I can playback movies from my iPod with the car in motion. I don't intend to watch movies at 80 mph but it would be nice when crawling along in a traffic jam to keep a movie going at under 5 mph. I'm aware of the wire hack but have no intention of invalidating my warranty.

Well:

That SoundlinQ looks extremely cool. I still haven't got an iPod (must be the only person on the planet), but I use a cheapo MP3 player which does the job. Having seen this, I now want the Ipod MM player and the SoundlinQ!!

Secondly - been for a drive today in the car. Covered 22 miles (18 in town straffic and 4 on a dual carriage way at 60-65 in 6th) after the engine was warm. Drove the car as normal, concentrating on gear changes - taking them as early as possible without labouring. The 6th gear felt OK today, though slightly lethargic (which is understandable given the narrowish power band).

Result? 32.5mpg. Now that's not bad for a car with 177bhp.

Tomorrow will be the acid test. One things for sure - the 220d could be more economical on "quality" derv. My normal filling station is the Sainsbo's up the road from me in Oadby - That run back from Cumbria at 48.5mpg was on BP fuel. I am now only gonna use BP fuels to see if that really makes a difference - Never ever noticed this with Peugeots or Audi.

The bottom line is that I reckon my car is OK, but no thanks to my local dealer.

I just feel it for any non-LOC members who may have the Injector issue and not even know. And if there is a known injector mod, the dealers don't all appear to know, or even seem too interested.

Grand Customer Satisfaction

CHEERS GUYS

i picked mine up in may have done just of 5k miles and still averaging 32-33mpg...shall iget on to the dealer now or wait until the 10k service.....ive also developed rattles in centre dash ast high level and also drivers seat..i was going to wait until the service to get these sorted as the sound system drowns them out :D

i picked mine up in may have done just of 5k miles and still averaging 32-33mpg...shall iget on to the dealer now or wait until the 10k service.....ive also developed rattles in centre dash ast high level and also drivers seat..i was going to wait until the service to get these sorted as the sound system drowns them out :D

Yours will be OK I'm sure.

Took mine on a 300+ mile run yesterday. On BP fuel that car is very sweet. 6th below70 (down to 59mph is no problem). On Sainsbury's it's aweful...!

So I believe, as Scott says, the Injector issue could have been for early cars - December manufacture?

Hi,

I have just received a letter from Lexus Ireland following my query to my dealer about injector replacement etc.

On fuel consumption it states " we can confirm that we do not have any present technical concern regarding fuel consumption with our IS220D range". In addition it states "we can further confirm that we have clarified with Lexus GB that they are not replacing diesel injectors on account of any concern they may have about fuel consumption"

On gearing and 6th gear in particular it states "We can confirm that the vehicle is purposely set up in such a fashion to allow for fuel efficient and low emission driving at high speed, the lowest permissible speed in 6th gear being 120 kph........ we accept that this set up may benefit our European Continental customers to a greater extent where there are longer stretches of motorway and where there are higher or no speed limits."

Regarding LOC forum it states, "we certainly respect and are cognisant of Owners websites and forums, however we are equally cognisant that such discussion forum may distort what are in reality isolated concerns that may arise with any motor vehicle and not indicative of lack of quality in the model range as a whole."

I guess, if the range is performing as designed, then they they are probably right to have no "technical concern". For me, it does raise questions about the design. And I also find it hard to understand why anyone would design a car to be fuel efficient and have low emissions at speeds that most law abiding owners will not achieve in the greater part of their driving. Having investigated, I find that on the continent most speed limits are either 120 kph or 130 kph with the excepion of Germany which has no limits. In reality, is there not built in inefficiency and higher emissions when driving at the speeds most owners will achieve only rarely.

Anyway, we live and learn.

Hope this helps.

What a joke. The car is still sold as a 6 speed in the UK. I suppose it's no different to buying a car that can go over 70mph, which is the max speed limit in the UK.

So the 6th gear is purely academic in the same way as any speed over 70mph...lurvely

PS I'll stop using 6th then altogether...in case my engine blows up early and they say it was my fault! Autobahns and Europe only...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links