Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Mesa Red - Need Touch-up Paint

mspiteri

Unfortunately my 2 week old Mesa Red IS250 has picked up a rather nasty stone chip on the rear door and I was thinking of trying to rectify it with touch up paint.

But, to my surprise Cambridge Lexus have said that this is not yet available to order or to purchase! What?! How can that be? The IS250 has been out for almost a year.

Are they right or not? Does anyone else know where I can source the correct paint (3R1)?

Thanks

Mark

Try someone like Chips Away they are reasonably cheap and you really cant see the repair when its done.

I had my IS200 done a couple of years ago, the guy did 3 chips for £35

Yes, I have used Chips Away on a black Toyota MR2 a couple of years ago with mixed results.

I was thinking of them as a viable option should I not manage to source touch up paint, or not do it well enough.

Might just call them out actually as the chip is quite deep and fairly large (4mm diameter).

thanks

Mark

Unfortunately my 2 week old Mesa Red IS250 has picked up a rather nasty stone chip on the rear door and I was thinking of trying to rectify it with touch up paint.

But, to my surprise Cambridge Lexus have said that this is not yet available to order or to purchase! What?! How can that be? The IS250 has been out for almost a year.

Are they right or not? Does anyone else know where I can source the correct paint (3R1)?

Thanks

Mark

Dear Mark,

I have had the exact same difficulty getting hold of a Mesa Red Touch-Up!!! However, I think I have the answer to the problem. Lexus Parts Sale standard routine when searching for a Touch-Up paint is to add a '0'(Zero) to the end of the paint code. This long standing routine normally works. However, with Mesa Red and other new colours the routine has changed and they must now add a 1(one) instead of a Zero.

Therefore, the touch-up does exist but its part number is causing difficulty for Lexus operators to locate on the database, so they tell you it doesn't exist - but it does!!! I hope this helps as Mesa Red is the best colour so we have to keep them looking cool

I was given a Lexus 'Red Mica Chrystal Shine' touch-up kit when I took delivery of my (Mesa Red) car in January. Looks like Mesa Red to me :tomato:

Thank you for this information. I now recall other people mentioning this in earlier threads when they were taking delivery of their cars.

My car was supplied by Lexus Worcester. I'll see if they can help me in this regard.

Regards

Mark

Thanks

Mark

Dear Mark,

I have had the exact same difficulty getting hold of a Mesa Red Touch-Up!!! However, I think I have the answer to the problem. Lexus Parts Sale standard routine when searching for a Touch-Up paint is to add a '0'(Zero) to the end of the paint code. This long standing routine normally works. However, with Mesa Red and other new colours the routine has changed and they must now add a 1(one) instead of a Zero.

Therefore, the touch-up does exist but its part number is causing difficulty for Lexus operators to locate on the database, so they tell you it doesn't exist - but it does!!! I hope this helps as Mesa Red is the best colour so we have to keep them looking cool

DR Kildare

this is very useful information. If I cannot get hold of the kit mentioned previously, I'll go back to the local dealer with this.

I was in the USA last week, and I had the same thought as Rich_Bee. Unfortunately the nearest Lexus dealer to where I was was 40 miles away and I did not have the time to visit them - and they did not respond to an email. Mesa Red is called Matador Red in the US - they have the same color code anyway.

It is a beautiful colour, although I seem to be having a run of bad luck with picking up stone chips in just three weeks of ownership and 500 miles.

Mark

• 10 years later...

Robmars is correct in that Mesa Red and Red Mica Chrystal Shine are one and the same.  Someone opened a door (white, van) onto my mesa red IS300h and Lexus Swindon supplied me with a Red Mica touch-up kit for £10 incl p & p.   The score was a deep one but, by following the instructions I was able to eliminate the mark and almost the depth of it.  I defy anyone who doesn't know where it is to find it!   Note the paints are acrylic and have very different properties to cellulose!