Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

£275 For A Spare Key...!

I phoned up Lexus Croydon, asked how much a spare key would be for my IS200 Sport 52 plate... I had someone call me back because the service dept was busy... I got a call an hour later quoting me £275...

I asked how come its so expensive; they replied that because they have to reprogramme the transponder chip in the remote...

I have done a search on LOC and found a few links... ie press this, insert key, press this and that button... can anyone guide me to a simple method or is it just a case of shopping around... do I have to get it from Lexus...? Does the car have to be present or can they do this by giving a key code... they did ask for my Reg no. not sure why though...

Please assist... Thanks

I phoned up Lexus Croydon, asked how much a spare key would be for my IS200 Sport 52 plate... I had someone call me back because the service dept was busy... I got a call an hour later quoting me £275...

I asked how come its so expensive; they replied that because they have to reprogramme the transponder chip in the remote...

I have done a search on LOC and found a few links... ie press this, insert key, press this and that button... can anyone guide me to a simple method or is it just a case of shopping around... do I have to get it from Lexus...? Does the car have to be present or can they do this by giving a key code... they did ask for my Reg no. not sure why though...

Please assist... Thanks

On this site are instructions for programming a key, essentially this is a series of things like insert original key, opening the drivers door a a few times, switch ignition on a off a number of times, insert new key, pressing a button on the key etc etc. It's quite a complex set of instructions, but nothing that can't be done at home. However, getting the key physically supplied, and cut, is probably best done by the dealer.

£275 though, total rip off. I need one too, so if someone can recommend a key supplier, I'd be interested in getting one. Anyone got a supplier they can recommend?

Mike

£70 sounds much more reasonable... (i love my IS200) did that key and transponder come from Lexus...?

So, the transponder can be programmed at home with a few instructions and they key can be supplied and cut by Lexus for £70... is that correct...?

What happens if the coding sequence messes up or I get it wrong... does it spoil anything or can anything go wrong...

£70 sounds much more reasonable... did that key and transponder come from Lexus...?

So, the transponder can be programmed at home with a few instructions and they key can be supplied and cut by Lexus for £70... s that correct...?

What happens if the coding sequence messes up or get it wrong... does it spoil anything or can anything go wrong...

You need a master key to be able to program in another one. You don't program the key, you program the vehicle to work with the new key so you cannot mess up the key.

£70 sounds much more reasonable... did that key and transponder come from Lexus...?

So, the transponder can be programmed at home with a few instructions and they key can be supplied and cut by Lexus for £70... s that correct...?

What happens if the coding sequence messes up or get it wrong... does it spoil anything or can anything go wrong...

You need a master key to be able to program in another one. You don't program the key, you program the vehicle to work with the new key so you cannot mess up the key.

Aha... thanks gents; I will make a call to Leicester Lexus; however the question begs... If I get the sequence wrong for the 2nd key... I hope I don't mess up the programming for the 1st key...

Please assist... Thanks

I had the same problem.Lexus Aberdeen quoted me £150 for a spare key :sad: When i ordered it they said it would take abouy a week to get it.Went to get it & when i got through to the garage they did not have it :tsktsk: they then said they would phone when it was there.waited another 2 weeks and went through again and it was not even a key for my car it was for someone else. got another one ordered when it arrived it had taken about 4 months 2 get it :tsktsk: but it only cost £88 :D

• 2 weeks later...

Croydon is my local dealer and I find them expensive. I was quoted £550 for 40K service but drove too Reading and got the service done for £275.

To be fair, their service is good but doesn't justify what they charge us

Was in Lex Bristol stealership today and was quoted £125 for a new transponder or £75 for a new key with transponder :huh: :duh: .

The spare key still starts the car but will not remotely unlock the doors, The Battery in the key is new, and works fine in the master key so is verified OK.

Not sure if reprogamming wil bring it back on line or whether the transponder need changing...anyone had similar??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links