Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why Does My Car Rattle?

Any pictures?

Still in Texas, car's in the UK. Wheels & Tyres to be fitted tomorrow.

..and just to finish off the earlier issue on Sagitar's understanding,

you can apply the standard friction equation for rolling wheels to try to determine the value of rolling friction. That equation is:

FR = μR*W

where

• FR is the resistive force of rolling friction,
  • μR is the coefficient of rolling friction for the two surfaces (Greek letter "mu" sub R), and
  • W is the weight of the wheel plus the weight of the automobile.

This equation is not as straightforward as with sliding friction for hard surfaces, since μR varies with the radius, width, treads, amount of inflation and temperature of the tire, as well as the type of rubber and the value of W. The surface roughness of the road is also a factor. Sorry, promise I'll :shutit: .

Sorry to bore you. If you had said coefficient of rolling friction (or rolling resistance) in the first place. I would have made no comment. You cannot just swap a pair of (entirely different) coefficients at will. When you said coefficient of friction, I did you the credit of believing that was what you meant . . . . :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have put my car (IS220d) in for a little bit of work to my dealer. I have a car from them (IS250 auto). This car doesn't rattle at all. My seats and drivers door rattle :angry:

Does any one have the same issue??

No rattles with mine...just the annoying crack from the dash, will get it sorted at my 10k service.

I'm on an 06 plate (March)...only problem I've had was it jumping out of 4th gear...lexus sorted it now, new bits in gearbox, apparently only two cars in Europe have had this problem :duh: just my luck!

Any problems I've had have been done quickly and well by my dealer cant praise them enough.

Hope you get it sorted and can enjoy your car in peace.

Well been driving mine today in the cold wet hours earlier. No rattles or squeaks now. And it shouldn't - they had it for 3.5 days.

However...

I didn't notice this yesterday when I collected the car, it was dark......the front centre speaker is still not flush and looks badly fitted. Stands proud at the back. Can't believe that I got it back like that...and now waiting for the technician to call me.

Hi has anyone tried '5 star shine' They claim it takes a very long time to break down as it is not was or silicone . Any experience with this stuff I am using Carlac at present and am happy with it though!

alan

sorry should have been a new post oops!

Sorry to bore you. If you had said coefficient of rolling friction (or rolling resistance) in the first place. I would have made no comment. You cannot just swap a pair of (entirely different) coefficients at will. When you said coefficient of friction, I did you the credit of believing that was what you meant . . . . :)

Not boring, just puzzled....wheels are designed to roll. Hardly likely to refer to a figure that would only apply to towing the car along with the brakes locked on. :D

Not boring, just puzzled....wheels are designed to roll. Hardly likely to refer to a figure that would only apply to towing the car along with the brakes locked on. :D

But you did!

But you did!

..now you are getting boring :yawn:

I have posted before but my rattle disappeared when I had a replacement windscreen fitted - supports the theory that the fitting around this area is causing the rattle. It was just a fluke with mine and I will not be surprised if it returns in which case I will get Lexus to sort out. Meanwhile, it is just bliss - have driven with the radio off just to appreciate how quite the car really is.

The rattles can really be annoying but don't let them put you off the car - Lexus should have enough knowledge now to sort them out. As already said, the quietness of the car perhaps extenuates any alien noise.

Jamboo,

You were going to tell us what they actually did to resolve your issues with the car & assume you have got your top dash grill now fitted properly?

Tel

• 2 weeks later...

WOW :D an update for you......

Just got my car back from the dealer after being with them for nearly 2 weeks :excl:

The removed my dash re-sealed and re-packed it, re-packed the A and B frames and replaced my mirror. Its like a different car :D I do still get that cracking sound after 20 mins of driving, but nothing like at the level before and no rattles :D

(They forgot to plug the LED back in in the passanager footwell, but I will forgive them, as they will be reconnecting it tomorrow evening ) :winky:

NOT GOOD NEWS FOR ME

I've just taken the car on a motorway run.

The seat squeak is back. It's now worse then ever.

There is a faint dash rattle that gets worse over poor motorway surfaces but is fine in town. This rattle comes from deep in the dash.

Oh and that Speaker grill fits really badly. It still protudes from the back and there is what looks like a gouge in the dash on the left handside, and by looking through the screen (from outside) at the edge of the speaker.

I love the car, but the quality of this product is a sham. I'm sick of people:

1) telling me it's an "early car" and you should expect teethers

2) telling me Lexus are the most reliable cars. Maybe they don't break down, but they are not solidly made.

This will be the 4th visit for warranty work in 8 months and 6500 miles. That's more than the various German cars I've had before all put together in over 10 years.

Now tell me that a Lexus is better made than a German car...

As soon as I can afford to, I'm defecting back again. Period.

Oh - and before anyone tries to flame me, this is my last post. The car takes up too much of my life (and yes I do have one)

NOT GOOD NEWS FOR ME

There is a faint dash rattle that gets worse over poor motorway surfaces but is fine in town. This rattle comes from deep in the dash.

Oh and that Speaker grill fits really badly. It still protudes from the back and there is what looks like a gouge in the dash on the left handside, and by looking through the screen (from outside) at the edge of the speaker.

2) telling me Lexus are the most reliable cars. Maybe they don't break down, but they are not solidly made.

This will be the 4th visit for warranty work in 8 months and 6500 miles. That's more than the various German cars I've had before all put together in over 10 years.

Oh - and before anyone tries to flame me, this is my last post. The car takes up too much of my life (and yes I do have one)

Blimey, it's posts like this that keep making me question my decision to order one of these things. Maybe I should have stuck with my beemer.... :blush:

NOT GOOD NEWS FOR ME

Blimey, it's posts like this that keep making me question my decision to order one of these things. Maybe I should have stuck with my beemer.... :blush:

Mines an early one and it's (still) rock solid...no squeaks or rattles and everything works as it should. As Jamboo says the plastic bumpers deflect if you push them...so what? I'm sure they're designed to do just that. My IS200 would also absorb an impact by folding up progressively, as it's designed to do.

I expected my lowered suspension and 19" wheels to show up a rattle or two, but just had a blast around the local 'A' roads and the car was so quiet I expect I could have been duped into thinking a ton+ was only 60 mph :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...
I have put my car (IS220d) in for a little bit of work to my dealer. I have a car from them (IS250 auto). This car doesn't rattle at all. My seats and drivers door rattle :angry:

Does any one have the same issue??

I have a slight door rattle in my IS250 (Petrol Aouto). Either the drivers door or maybe the A post. It's not loud but annoying in such a queit car. Does anyone know if Lexus dealers know about this one and have a fix for it?

:duh: My passenager seat is rattling again :tsktsk:

My dash is still craking after about 15-20 minutes. I believe its the fents in the middle. When the A/C cuts in and the heat stops, it seems to crack with the change in temp? I can make the noise by pressing at the joint between the temp controls and the fents...... Anyone tried this????

DaveW - the door rattles and A post rattles are well known by Lexus and they should be able to fix it. Give them a call, and if they deny knowing about rattles (a common trick) ask them to look at LOC.

DieselDriver - I have said for a long time that the issues are temperature related. Summer was great. My car was mosty rattle free until the ambient temperature started to drop. And I just knew it would startup again, which it did.

Tolerances are just so minute, and the modern car has a heck of a lot of gubbins behind the dash. Also, the dash in a Lexus has so many different plastic pieces (in different grades of plastic, ranging from "elephant hide like" to hard shiny stuff) - just count up how many. All of these have to be clipped or fixed together. It's no wonder that the whole thing creaks as each piece reacts differently to temperature!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links