Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recommendations For My Boot Install

Hey guys so in the middle of upgrading my audio system. HU changed, Speakers changed, Subwwofer and 2 amps. Currently at a loss as how best to mount the amp and 2 subs into my boot without taking up too much room. I have a stealth sub box ordered so thats the sub problem solved but the 2 amps are just sort of " in the way " at the moment! Comments/recommendations welcome!

dscn0623dd5.jpg

dscn0624xl5.jpg

dscn0625if2.jpg

And the HU:

dscn0626wg4.jpg

As Matt says go for a false floor with the amps mounted underneath

All you will lose that way is a few inches depth of your boot.

Thats what i'm gonna do with mine with my subs using the spare wheel well ,i'm gonna lose a bit of depth in my boot but my audio will be safe and protected from scum :P

and don't forget to sound deaden :)

from what people have said...

with a single 12" you'd be better facing it across the length of the boot sideways...

so fiberglass mould the sub into one of the quarters :) and you'll hopefully increase the SPL by a couple dB if it works well.

as for the amps... you can build a clean false floor... have them on show?... build a rack?... against the seats?... in the wheel well...? plenty of options :D

I'm going for a fully sealed install... (don't want to give toooo much away yet though :winky: )

with a single 12" you'd be better facing it across the length of the boot sideways...

so fiberglass mould the sub into one of the quarters :) and you'll hopefully increase the SPL by a couple dB if it works well.

as for the amps... you can build a clean false floor... have them on show?... build a rack?... against the seats?... in the wheel well...? plenty of options :D

I'm going for a fully sealed install... (don't want to give toooo much away yet though :winky: )

OK so im not the best at designing stuff like this I was looking for places to mount the amps to the metal floor of the boot close to the rear seats. Would i have to drill holes into the floor to secure them? I cant see any other options.

Has anyone got any before and after pics of their install showing how they secured them?

Is MDF the best material to use to build the false for? Im currently using a 12mm sheet.

Looks like a great Install so far :D can’t Waite for the how to Audio Install guide please :blush:

If you are looking at a false floor, Remember to allow for Ventilation or else you will build up heat and might affect the amps. Them babies kick out a lot of heat and if it does not escape, all the onboard fans will be doing is drawing in will be hot air and so the temp will just rise and rise....

I would cut out a window in the false floor to show them off with a neon or something…

Good luck and please post the pics once done

Dibslpg

OK so im not the best at designing stuff like this I was looking for places to mount the amps to the metal floor of the boot close to the rear seats. Would i have to drill holes into the floor to secure them? I cant see any other options.

Has anyone got any before and after pics of their install showing how they secured them?

Is MDF the best material to use to build the false for? Im currently using a 12mm sheet.

i was thinking the same. i wanna try and make it so i can still easily access the spare wheel, by just having to unscrew a few bolts. Aint going to go all out with suede cover panels etc! just want to keep things out of the way and safely secured

Shame I dont have pics of the ones ive fitted in cars before but all I did was measure the standard box make that out of mdf but the face of it i'd extend and cut a hole out of it and mount the amp next to it from behind so all wires were hidden.

subbox.jpg

You should get a general idea from the diagram (sorry, i did it in 5 mins in paint, works only drawring program) it should just fit behind the big mat and back to the seats and between the arches so you could get to your wheel and I always use conector plugs so If you go on holiday say and you need the space you just unplug and take it out. dont worry about screwing it down because the weight and fit will stop it moving too much.

Make sure joints are tight fit and only use mdf sealing it with silicone and filling with car filler. If you spray paint use pva 50/50 mixed with water to seal the spraying surface or the paint will soak in and give an awfull finish and make sure you give it lots of undercoat. v important for there to be no air holes in the sub box. I used 12mm and occationaly 18mm, 18mm is over kill though.

the whole for the sub could go in the top or back facing the seat back or in the side facing the arch, whatever will sound and look best.

I generally spray painted mine to match the colours of my cars but you could carpet it or fiberglass it to make it fancy, up to you. the last one had a second slot cut out for a multichanger aswell.

hope this may help

craig.

Why not make it yourself? Then you can adjust the internal volume of the subwoofer enclosure to meet your personal listening requirements? I'm aiming for as close to 49.1litres per sub enclosure (i'd be happy with 37.5) can ya guess what sub it is? :hehe:

I bet when Am comes along, he'll tell you to port it... for some real low bass!!!!

Personally i've always preferred sealed / semi-stealth / clean / perfection...

By the way.... i'm going for a 4" false floor... vented either side to allow the amps to breathe... I'll try upload a design later tonight... so you get an idea :)

Why not make it yourself? Then you can adjust the internal volume of the subwoofer enclosure to meet your personal listening requirements? I'm aiming for as close to 49.1litres per sub enclosure (i'd be happy with 37.5) can ya guess what sub it is? :hehe:

I bet when Am comes along, he'll tell you to port it... for some real low bass!!!!

By the way.... i'm going for a 4" false floor... vented either side to allow the amps to breathe... I'll try upload a design later tonight... so you get an idea :)

Cool Niraj, Thanks for the pointers, ive being trying to come up with a few designs myself but still clueless!

thats a really nice stealth box. niraj has a good idea with mounting the amps in an opposite stealth box. would look good and not take up too much useable space.

Craig

Ye it was hard to get my hands on for a reasonable price. I could only get one though. Maybe when the box is delivered i can try copy its dimensions and make an amp enclosure to match on the other side. That would be exactly what i want to do!

thats a really nice stealth box. niraj has a good idea with mounting the amps in an opposite stealth box. would look good and not take up too much useable space.

Craig

Ye it was hard to get my hands on for a reasonable price. I could only get one though. Maybe when the box is delivered i can try copy its dimensions and make an amp enclosure to match on the other side. That would be exactly what i want to do!

I think it might be fiberglassed though and an arse to copy

perhaps do something like my idea with just the amps agains the seat, that shouldnt involve too many complex curves and be out the way for boot space and spare wheel. up to you. how much was the stealth box?

Craig

I always go sealed aswell, sealed is supposed to give you quicker response so do variations in base and ported is best for real deep bass but that is repetative. Also porting a box isn't just a case of drilling the right size hole, there's alot more to it than that and Im no techy working for infinity or B&W, it's easy to get a sealed box to sound good and easy to get a ported box to sound v v BAD.

Craig

PS Niraj's stuff always seems to look good and very well finished so it will be interesting to see what he puts on here.

PPS are you using your sat nav? I thort they worked through the stereo?

I think it might be fiberglassed though and an arse to copy

perhaps do something like my idea with just the amps agains the seat, that shouldnt involve too many complex curves and be out the way for boot space and spare wheel. up to you. how much was the stealth box?

Craig

So i im trying to picture what your on about Craig, Im not sure what you mean "against the seat". Do you mean secure them on to the back of the seats? or something different? Heres what im thinking you mean:

ampsfq4.jpg

yes kind of

try this, again sorry for rubish quick drawings:

ampmount.gif

Im sure you get the idea. to stop it from falling on its face I would just put a small fixing onto the speaker shelf. When I do any alterations to any car I try and make it so you could take it out and no one would know so hence not just screw them to the seat.

are you using your sat nav? is it coming through your new stereo?

Craig

Here's a couple of idea's all thrown into one image... you can either mount them to the back of the seats or in a seperate stealth box... with the subwoofer in it's own stealth box in the opposite corner :)

irlrs_des1_1.JPG

irlrs_des1_2.JPG

irlrs_des1_3.JPG

The other option is the false floor which i will upload a few pics of tomorrow. :)